Em Mitchell

Wee Rants

^^ Depends on the person. It's good news to me Smiler

But my rant is the confusion in my life. Where it's going. What to do. Finding my purpose, pretty deep stuff I guess.

Hmm... I think I lack the maturity level to put political preference aside and not judge folks based on them. I suppose it is my fault anyhow, I started it. So I am going to stop typing. Now. :P

Soooo... how 'bout that Regina... genius, isn't she?

quote:
Originally posted by SugarDrive:

i went to college for 2 years right out of high school. dropped out not knowing what i wanted to do. big mistake. an undergrad degree means nothing now...everyone has their masters. so here i am, nearly 30, just now getting my undergrad.

best advice i can offer is to stick with it. do some serious soul searching. it's ok to take a break from school, but don't let it be for 10 years.

What's funny is how people think a degree paves the road to success... know what the hell you want then pursue that, degree or no degree(was that the question?).

I graduated with a 3.8 in '86 but went right back to my blue collar DNA in manufacturing without ever pursuing anything challenging... I haven't failed horribly, but dealing with idiots can be frustrating (as anyone who has read my posts can attest!).

Follow your dream, Jiminy, cause settling sucks!

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine Redneck:

What's funny is how people think a degree paves the road to success... know what the hell you want then pursue that, degree or no degree(was that the question?).

I graduated with a 3.8 in '86 but went right back to my blue collar DNA in manufacturing without ever pursuing anything challenging... I haven't failed horribly, but dealing with idiots can be frustrating (as anyone who has read my posts can attest!).

Follow your dream, Jiminy, cause settling sucks!

And sometimes following your dream sucks a lot too.

There is no right answer though. My dad, like you, went to college graduated and kept on working the job he had since high school for the next 30 years. Now he's self employed doing nothing that has anything do to with his degree whatsoever. Others, haven't been so lucky. The father of one of my good friends lost his job when we were in high school and the company relocated/found positions for all of the people in his department who had college degrees. Unfortunately he didn't have one, and ended up going back to school just to be able to do the same job he'd done for decades.

This isn't really a rant since it's kind of a good thing, but it's extremely disconcerting to me...

My friend recently "accepted Christ into his heart". He used to be an Athiest. In fact, he's been one since I first met him. Today one of his friends convinced him to go to church. By the end of it all, he was a believer. He has been ecstatic ever since.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do not have a problem with Christians, Jews or Muslims, etc, but I do have an extreme problem with organized religions. My friend has been acting an extreme amount differently than he was the last time I talked to him, and it's very disconcerting. I feel like I should be happy for him since it's helping him let go of his past, but I can't help but feel saddened by the sudden change of heart...

I don't know, I'm hoping it's a phase...

EDIT: I'm not trying to offend anyone or make anyone mad (and I apologize if I do), but it's just on my mind...

That must have been a great sermon by a great minister in an awesome church building. Or did he go frequently for some reason?

Maybe his Aitheïsm was merely a lack of interest in religion, rather than a conviction and the experience peaked his interest in a major way, it could have been that exiciting... Or he feels he found something he didn't know he was looking for.

It's sad he changed (IYO). Maybe his current piety is a phase, just like some people are obsessed with Regina's music at first, and later ease up and move on, keeping Reg's Records as steady favorites rather than the main thing in their lives.

it's okay to rant about it imo, I'd be a bit worried if some of my friends became fervently religious too.