Em Mitchell

Wee Rants

Yeah so the $335 I was gonna use to pay for my demo and my permit were stolen with my entire wallet a few weeks ago....And come to find out it was my (now former) best friend who stole it. Very maddening and downing news indeed. Frowner

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

Yeah so the $335 I was gonna use to pay for my demo and my permit were stolen with my entire wallet a few weeks ago....And come to find out it was my (now former) best friend who stole it. Very maddening and downing news indeed. Frowner

Wow, Brady, that really sucks. Frowner How did you find out it was your friend who did it?

For the record I had no idea where to put this, I guess this is as good as any.

So...I'm sixteen, and I haven't been kissed. I know, I know, this sounds like it's going to be one of those "I'll never be attractive to anyone ever because I haven't been kissed yet!" type of rants, but I actually have a very good reason why my lip-virgin status must be changed, and I need practical advice to help carry it out.

Every year I'm in the musical production at my high school, and our directors have this ludicrous process of singling out somebody during one year to "build" next year's show around (i.e. give them the lead). Of course they don't actually tell you until after auditions the next year when they cast you, but they have their ways of letting you know and basically it becomes an open secret who they've picked. Well, I'm the 'chosen one' for next year. Since female leads in musicals are inevitably romantic ones, my fellow cast members have been giving me a resounding refrain of "you better get a move on" in the kissing department. Cause who wants their first to be on a stage while acting? So, even though I don't want to be, I am now on this PG-rated version of Rachel Berry's crusade before she played Maria in West Side Story (sorry for the Glee reference, but it was fitting). So, with a roughly eight-month deadline, I have three options as far as the other end of this kiss goes (We'll call them Guy A, Guy B, and Guy C).

Guy A: The male version of myself, the other 'chosen one' for nest years musical. This is the defeatist option, the guy who I'm going to end up kissing on stage anyway. I've known him since I was in elementary school and I've had to reject him something like five times in the past two years. I really don't want this option to be my only option.

Guy B: The ideal option. My first, shall we say, 'practical crush;' one I could actually see myself dating. I've known him since middle school, but we became good friends in high school. Last fall, in true 21st century feminist spirit, I asked him to our school's Christmas dance. He already had a date but he suggested that we go to prom instead, and I agreed. Well, at this Christmas dance a few months later, it happened that we both had ditched our dates and ended up spending the whole night together. After this I started to truly consider him as boyfriend material, and the response I got from our mutual friends was a resounding "It's a lost cause, he just isn't looking for a relationship right now." So when I realized the first kiss deadline thing, I figured Guy B at prom would be the perfect option. He'd undoubtedly be obliging, and since he isn't looking for a relationship, there's practically no chance that he'll be taken by the time we go to prom, right? Wrong. As I write this, he's on a date with Miss 'Soul Mate' (that is the most stupid phrase for a teenage boy to use! but that's another rant for another time). So it looks like they'll be an item before long and we will have a very awkward prom night.

Guy C: This is a pretty good option too. I've known Guy C since I've been in high school, and he's one of those people that if he's your friend, he'll bend over backwards for you. So I have a feeling that he would do me the favor if I asked him (plus, he is good looking). The blatant, glaring obstacle is that I've never actually been alone with him, and I can foresee no circumstance in which we could be alone together and this could theoretically happen.

So, I'm looking for some practical advice (practical in the strict sense of the word, meaning, 'able to be put into practice'). So tell me whether you would go with A, B, or C, and suggestions as to how in the world you would go about doing it or just advice in general that would be great. Thanks Smiler

I'd go with option D. None of the above.

You can't force your first kiss for the sake of acting. If it is meant to be, before the show, it will happen. If it does come down to guy A, at the show, then you don't want him to like it anyway as you said you have no interest in him.

My other thought is, exactly what kind of kiss would be required for a school play? I can't imagine that you would be forced to use your tongue. There are several methods for faking a kiss. Please discuss them with your director.

http://www.musical-theater-kids.com/fake-kissing.html

Lastly, never ever do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable, or that you do not want to do.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but please, give it some thought...

Best wishes!

Cool

thanks andreseng. We try to be as professional as possible with our productions, so stage kissing is definitely off the table. And if this year's show is any indication, our two leads have to go at it for a good thirty seconds (for a laugh of course, but still). Probably the most disturbing thing I've noticed is how lightly its taken in rehearsals, and in an environment like that I'll have to be professional and take it lightly too. And you don't want to take your first lightly.

I suggest you do not treat this as your first kiss then. As an actor, you need to separate yourself from what you are playing. This might be the key to making this easier for you.

If you were to slap somebody on stage, you wouldn't think of it as your first slap. It is merely part of the blocking of the show. Take this kiss to that level and nothing more. It is not your first kiss as there is nothing behind it other than the fact that you are required to do it for the show. It just doesn't count....

I agree with the G. And despite what you said about it being as "professional as possible" you may still not have to actually kiss the guy, especially if you privately mention to the director not wanting to. The fact that its a long, comedic effect kiss is actually helpful to your case, since for kisses like that the stage kiss route is quite acceptable, and actually adds to the humour. I was in a production of Oliver when I was younger, in which the orphanage keepers share a for-laughs makeout scene. They essentially sat on a couch and the woman burried her face in Mr. Bumble's and wriggled around some. No kissing actually went on, it was the sort of over-the-top kiss where that was possible.

That being said, may I ask what musical it is? And, who do you play?

(On a similar note, in terms of simply not counting the kiss, this is what most high school "real" onstage kisses amount to. Most romantic leading roles in musicals when I was in high school were played by people in relationships, and the kisses meant less than nothing to them. It's the character's kiss, not yours.)

Personally, speaking as a teenager who also still hasn't kissed/been kissed, i'd say i wouldn't want to go through with the stage kiss if it were avoidable.

I don't know your relationship with the director, whether it's an option to inqure into the importance of this being a "real" kiss, or whether you could fake it. If the director is particularly no-nonsense and wants only very critical concerns brought to his/her attention, then i'd say go through with the "real" kiss if this feels much like an option at all to you, which it seems to be. However, if the director has a reasonable attitude and is open to suggestion/cares about the students, then i say by all means pick his/her brain about it. Voice your concern and see how willing your director is to change things up.

Authenticity is great, but personally, and this is only about my own experience, authenticity is not worth feeling like i've lost my lip virginity lol even if it is on stage (especially if it is on stage?)

So it's really about your comfort level versus the flexibility of your director!

Good luck!