Em Mitchell

Wee Rants

A very wee rant Wink

Anyway, I don't know. It's just been bugging me recently and this thing about wearing makeup... I thought that most people were like 'it's your choice to wear it, a lot of people like to because they don't feel confident without it'. But it seems as though it's almost a requirement, going without any is a faux pas and a sign that you don't care about your appearance. And not only make up, but hair. I get that having neat hair is important to people. But ahaha, I'm ungroomed because my hair is kind of curly? Jeeeeez. This.. this whole thing.. it's one thing for people to control how they look and like to express themselves, but why is it that important? We'd be an awful lot more productive if there wasn't so much pressure to put lots of time into appearance, I think. Argh, just annoys me a little. The thing is I do put effort into how I look! Ahaha it's just like I want everyone to know or something, like 'look, I know my hair is a bit crazy, I doooo try! I shampoo my hair! That's a start! I condition it! And brush and blow dry it nearly every night! And even if I don't wear make up, I wash my face almost every day with cleaner! Not to mention just.. bathing hopefully enough, and cleaning my teeth twice a day! Is this not enough for you people?!' Yeeah Roll Eyes

Woah. I think this belongs in the major rants section, kateateyou.

I hope things get better for you!

Razzer

Seriously, though, i get where you're coming from. I think at a certain age, the bare minimum for appearance kind of skyrockets.. i've been feeling the same pressure, especially as girls 4 and 5 years younger than me are wearing makeup, getting their hair professionally done, getting nails done, etc. Then when we stand next to each other, i look like the younger one! haha!

I especially feel you on the hair thing. Most days, it's straight into a ponytail until i go to bed, because i'm not a freaking beautician and i can't manage this jungle on top of my head! xD

What's this "bathing" of which you speak?? '

^ i was a late bloomer as far as the whole... looking put together business. it is stressful to me, still. but at the same time, i feel like i feel better when i think that i look good, you know? i feel more confident, assume that people are judging me less. but i have so much respect for people that don't need to put any effort in because they just feel comfy in their own skin. i don't. Frowner

quote:
Originally posted by i like wonder bread:

So I had to drop an AP course today Frowner

My principal called me, but it was all okay. I mean I'm really bummed about missing out on the course because the schedule won't allow it, but at least they were really nice about it. In all honesty its probably better this way. Four ap courses gets rough. On the bright side, I talked to the school about doing and independent study on Oral Communications, and my counselor approved me for it Smiler Yay! I can take physics instead of Speech!

i think we have the same life (or at least are in similar places in our schooling haha), because a very similar thing happened to me the other day. i can't take french because it doesn't fit into my schedule. Frowner unlike, you, however, i was coerced into signing up for a 5th AP, which i am NOT psyched about. next year is going to be hell. what are ya taking?

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless

i think we have the same life (or at least are in similar places in our schooling haha), because a very similar thing happened to me the other day. i can't take french because it doesn't fit into my schedule. Frowner unlike, you, however, i was coerced into signing up for a 5th AP, which i am NOT psyched about. next year is going to be hell. what are ya taking?

I'm taking the following for my senior year

1st Anatomy and Physiology

2nd AP Calculus AB

3rd AP English Literature

4th AP Environmental Science

5th Chamber Choir IV

6th Physics

7th Spanish II

Are you a senior as well? If so, what colleges will you consider this fall? 5 APs.. you seem like a fellow academic heavyweight as my AP Chem teacher says Smiler I've taken 5 APs thus far: Music Theory, World History, US History, Chem, Language. Fun classes, but lots of homework. My profile is a bit random due to the fact that my school is small and offers only a few AP courses. I will most likely be a science major though. Anyways, what's your schedule look like? Smiler

So I switched majors, and even though I'm still doing a BSC (bachelor of science) since I switched from specializing in biology (with honours and co-op and french immersion - can you see how I decided I had too much on my plate? I'm not even good at math!) to specializing in psychology (don't you dare laugh at my soft science, I'mma keep me a minor in Bio if possible) I had to actually re-apply, because psych is in the Social Sciences faculty wheras before I was just in Science.

So I did that, which cost me 80 bucks, and I waited about twice the amount of time they told me it would take to hear back about it. I got accepted into the program though, yay, and most of my credits from first year will transfer over. Okay, cool. Now I have to register for courses, especially since I have RESP forms to send in in order to get money to pay tuition, and I can't send them in until I've registered for my classes. So I've accepted my new offer of admission, and it shows up under the "application status" section of the university site as a positive response and is all "Since you said yes we're gunna put you here and transfer over your credits" and I'm like "cool! I love school, when can I join?!" and it's like "Well you're technically back in 1st year just with a head start, so registration is open now, but you gotta go talk to Social Sciences first, they'll sort you out" So I go to Social Sciences and I wait in line and then they tell me they've sorted me out and that I can go register in the right program and I'm like "hells yeah, I'mma get allll the cool classes. No mornings! Fridays off! Japanese class with Mat!" and so I go to our little registration gizmo (we call it "rebaska") and it's all "Hey, do you wanna declare your intentions to enter the honours program for your BSC with specialization in Bio, coop, FES?" and I'm like, "what? No! I wanna register in the psych program! like it says over there!" and I point to the other part of the website all flustered like.

So I call my social sciences faculty, and I'm like "Yo, what gives - you said you fixed this shit." and they're like "Computers, man. Just give it a day or two."

So I give it a day and nothin', so I call again and they're like "One more day, man. I just need one more day, c'mon." So I call Sciences, just in case, and they're like "It's out of our hands now, sucker!"

So I wait one more day, but it's still saying bio, and now it is the weekend, and offices are closed, and if I can't register in the right program by Monday I'll be so mad.

quote:

quote:

2nd AP Calculus AB

5th Chamber Choir IV

6th Physics

7th Spanish II

Are you a senior as well? If so, what colleges will you consider this fall? 5 APs.. you seem like a fellow academic heavyweight as my AP Chem teacher says Smiler I've taken 5 APs thus far: Music Theory, World History, US History, Chem, Language. Fun classes, but lots of homework. My profile is a bit random due to the fact that my school is small and offers only a few AP courses. I will most likely be a science major though. Anyways, what's your schedule look like? Smiler

I am taking... AP bio, AP calc, AP english, AP microeconomics aand... AP stats I believe. And a capella and chamber choir. Our school has a huge and very good AP program because we got some grant a few years ago, so they offer a ton of classes. Thanks to my ridiculous schedule though, I will have no finals second semester, and I feel like that along with the two months after the AP test of doing nothing sort of makes up for the stress of the actual class. I took AP chem this year too! I don't think chem is exactly one of my strengths, but I found the course extremely interesting nonetheless.

I'm not a senior next year, but I will be starting the preliminary college search. I'm looking to remain in New England, so that kind of narrows it down a bit. My parents will make me tour Yale because they both went there, (even though I could never in a million years get in) and I already know I want to look at Middlebury, Wesleyan, and maybe Dartmouth and Williams. What about you? What were you thinking? It's so stressful already, I feel like I'm taking so many things just because they look good on a transcript, not necessarily because the topic is interesting to me, when at the same time I know that colleges look for people passionate about what they do, not necessarily the typical straight A student. Consequently, I am frequently on the verge of mental breakdown, but I just keep telling myself that wherever I end up, how happy and successful I am depends on what I make of the situation, not what college I go to.

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

quote:

quote:

2nd AP Calculus AB

5th Chamber Choir IV

6th Physics

7th Spanish II

I am taking... AP bio, AP calc, AP english, AP microeconomics aand... AP stats I believe. And a capella and chamber choir. Our school has a huge and very good AP program because we got some grant a few years ago, so they offer a ton of classes. Thanks to my ridiculous schedule though, I will have no finals second semester, and I feel like that along with the two months after the AP test of doing nothing sort of makes up for the stress of the actual class. I took AP chem this year too! I don't think chem is exactly one of my strengths, but I found the course extremely interesting nonetheless.

I'm not a senior next year, but I will be starting the preliminary college search. I'm looking to remain in New England, so that kind of narrows it down a bit. My parents will make me tour Yale because they both went there, (even though I could never in a million years get in) and I already know I want to look at Middlebury, Wesleyan, and maybe Dartmouth and Williams. What about you? What were you thinking? It's so stressful already, I feel like I'm taking so many things just because they look good on a transcript, not nEecessarily because the topic is interesting to me, when at the same time I know that colleges look for people passionate about what they do, not necessarily the typical straight A student. Consequently, I am frequently on the verge of mental breakdown, but I just keep telling myself that wherever I end up, how happy and successful I am depends on what I make of the situation, not what college I go to.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear about your stresses. I'm sure parental expectations can be overwhelming at times.. Just take it a day at a time. I'm always here to talk! Trust me, I know stress. I work 15 to 30 hours/week at a bakery-cafe on top of school. It gets dicey, and there are moments when all you can do is sit there, and try to piece it all together or have some sort of release to ease the tension... But you'll do wonderful things, I'm sure.

As for me, I'm a first generation student living in the mid-south, with high hopes for college. My parents both got GEDs only, so I'll be the first contender at a university for my family name. I have strong stats overall, so I'm throwing aside (mostly Wink) all doubt and shooting for Brown. My other top choices are Northwestern, Duke, Dartmouth, Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Vandy, Wash-U, and Hendrix college as my backup. I can't express how much education and college opportunities mean to me, really. I'd love to talk more! Feel free to email me at my junky old email ***my_sweetest_downfall*** (minus the asterisks of course. It's a hotmail account, btw)

Oh wonderkid and pretty-much-spotless, take it from a current university student - the stress, mental crises and overall whelmyness of working while going to school don't get any better once you move out on your own and start paying for your own rent/groceries/random junk you can't afford/Regina Spektor albums.

As you may have noticed from my own rant, school administration is a pain pretty much everywhere, and University is HARD.

Seriously. In my senior year I took a bunch of hard courses (Academic stream, we didn't have an "AP" or "IB" or any other letternamed programs) and that was difficult. 1st year university, same sorts of classes in general, chem, calc, bio, etc and that was near impossible. I've switched majors now because I bit off more than I could chew due to feeling family pressure (not like, actual "YOU MUST BE A DOCTOR" pressure, just the knowledge that everyone else in my family is math-oriented and sciencey smart, plus the idea that there aren't jobs outside of science, which is false.)

I'm (hopefully) now going to be able to study the things I want to study and hold on to enough science to be useful and hopefully get a minor in Biology rather than a major.

All that being said, I've made wonderful friends in this city, I'm so glad to be away from the small-towny place I came from, and most of the profs and classes I had last year were the best I ever had.

It gets better, but it also gets harder.

Best of luck to you both. Wonderkid, you've grown up to be so hardworking! And your signature makes me chuckle. Don't apologize for yourself. I was 11 myself, and would prefer that you not check out my post history. But, I think its cool that here on the stix there are some older members that we've more or less seen grow up. I'm sure you'll be an academic success, just don't you lose that drive. Smiler

Time is a funny thing, ain't it?

But I'm glad I have changed a bit for the better. My teachers always praised my brightness, but of course I had to be rambunctious and hot-blooded during the time I was on the Stix. I'm glad I got a laugh out of you, but dear Jesus. I checked a post from earlier times and I want to kill it with fire. I'm sure I will look back ten years from now and have similar (less extreme) thoughts, but hey, life's a journey.

I hear you on the university bit. My girlfriend's mom works at a university, and they aren't known for their organizational skills, so I get to hear a lot of painful stories similar to yours... The ultimate advice I have from her stories is that if you get screwed, tell the administration. A guy took Chem lab at a private university and almost got ZERO credit for it. The administration quickly resolved that, so hopefully they can be a useful tool for you. I'm hoping College Board didn't lie to me when they said "AP will help prepare you for the rigor of college-level courses." (boy would I be pissed.) Hopefully the adjustment won't slaughter me. Honestly, with the way this part of my life has turned out, I think I can adapt adequately to whatever university I go to. I'm glad to hear you are sticking it out though. Few people have the gusto or drive to do what you are doing, and it sounds like you are chugging right along. (Give me some Pom-Poms and I will gladly be your cheerleader.)

In all honesty, I may not be what these top research universities/Ivies want. My scores place me in the 75th percentile of their students, but hey, scores aren't everything. All I've got is my history and my hopes, really. Either way, my back up plan allows for a nice liberal-arts college at a darn-near-nothing cost thanks to state scholarships.

Overall, college will be an entirely new and confusing and exciting part of life that I can't even begin to predict. I'm ready, but at the same time, nobody is truly ready Wink

EDIT: Wee rant: I am so tired of waiting for these SAT scores that I am about to donate my vital organs to various charities