Em Mitchell

Wee Rants

I start a language immersion program tomorrow: we're not supposed to speak english for about 2 months.... It was a scary thought for a while, then it turned into an "i can do this" kind of thing, and now that it's actually here, i kind of can't breathe.... Aaaaaaargh!! FrownerFrownerFrowner

Wish me luck, you guys!!

Wow, that sounds like it'd be challenging, but rewarding. If you read this at some point, Be like the water, are you only allowed to speak a certain language? Which one? :3 Good luck!!

I reckon it sounds like an interesting idea. Like, babies learn to speak to get what they want/to communicate... so out of necessity they pick it up. No English would improve your knowledge of the language you are allowed to speak, wouldn't it?

Thanks, guys! Smiler

We sign away our English speaking, reading, etc. starting tomorrow night. The idea is that total immersion allows for greater acquisition of the target language Razzer i'm quoting from all the faculty speeches i've heard since coming on campus lol

I'm excited, and scared. There are several levels, and i've always felt that my speaking abilities were behind my classroom experience. Everyone will learn very soon which level we've tested into.. I hope i'm not in like level 2 or something!

I'm in the program for russian, and i can't speak anything else! Eeker I just hope i don't go too crazy.. If i could just find a piano that i could play whenever i need, that would help me feel better. Piano always calms my nerves.

So, this might be my farewell post to you all, if not tomorrow!

^ Ah that is SO COOL! i've always wanted to do one of those language immersion programs, i feel like with the exception of moving to the country where they speak the language you're trying to learn, it's the best way to start to get fluent. good luck, i'm sure it will be just fine!

Pneumonia. Again. I had a gig on Tuesday but was feeling kinda sick and like my throat didn't really want to. That night I got a really high fever and it stayed pretty high until yesterday when I went to the doctor and got penicillin. So this is a wee rant. The gig was good. I got through it. Thank God. And there's penicillin in the world so that I don't have to die. Awesome. It still sucks being this sick. Especially during the summer when you're supposed to be outside and hanging out with friends. I got a blanket, water, the TV and books instead. Hopefully I'll get better soon.

Aw, poor sweetness! Frowner Beings sick in the summer is depressing, I hope you'll feel better soon. Congratulations on surviving the gig though, performing when your sick can be so bad!

My wee rant: just having one of those days when you feel like your life is stupid, your a loser and nobody cares about you anyway. My two very close friends are leaving to their five-week interrail trip (without me) tomorrow. Last week they were still all "We MUST get together before we leave" and all that jazz, so I told them I'll be free on Monday and to give me a call when they could meet up. Guess who's been sitting home all day believing that someone will call evetually... It's nine in the evening and no one has. I feel quite abandoned, pretty annoyed and very hurt. I'm twenty years old, I should be over this kind of friend drama, but I can't help feeling sad and a little angry.

I also have no idea how to survive this July... My closest friends will be abroad or working in other towns. My family will leave next week for some holiday trips, but I can't go with them since I'll be working. My job is very lonely, I work in the night and see my coworkers for about ten minutes every night. I guess I should contact some of my high school friends whom I haven't seen in a while but I just feel like we've grown apart and I'm scared to meet them and find out if that's really the case. I see happy couples all around and I still haven't met anyone. I feel like I'm the only one who's not in love (of course that's not true, that's just me and my stupid drama-creating mind). I can't fall in love. When I have dared to try, I've just end up getting hurt for a long time. Again, I'm being super dramatic and silly, but I feel like the chances of anyone ever loving me are quite slim. There's really not that much in me to love.

I was so supposed to get so much done this summer, but I really haven't. I'm so lazy and unproductive, my creativity has fled completely. It's very hard for me to respect myself right now. I don't feel like I desrve any respect at all.

Ughh, this wasn't supposed to be such a long and stupid rant! Feels good the get it out of my system though, hopefully I'll be able to go and do something about these issues now rather than just spin them around in my head. I just wish I could figure out what exactly that 'something' should be... I wish I could just enjoy my relatively easy and problem-free life instead of coming up with all these stupid crises all the time.

aww.. Your post makes me so sad rainna. Hopefully by the time you read this, you feel better. *virtual hug*

I don't think your rant is stupid, we are people and we have feelings. And I hope you know that other people can often feel the same as you. There are definitely sad things which happen to you but you shouldn't think everything is wrong. You said you have friends whom you haven't seen in a while but you are scared to contact them. If I can give you an advice, do it. Yesterday I've decided to contact an old friend I met in highschool. I was afraid, I tend to overthink things and I didn't want to know if we were still friends or not. Finally I understood I had nothing to lose and I called her. She was so happy to hear my voice, we talked during two hours and I will see her soon.

We shouldn't let fear control our lives. I may be wrong but I think we have something in common, we are afraid to hurt people and getting hurt. You say you can't fall in love and that there is not that much in you to love, I say I don't need to be loved anymore to be happy. But we are so wrong, fear make us act stupid. You know, life is just so cool sometimes! Very often we are our own worst enemy and I truly believe people can enjoy their lives only if they really want to be happy. Bah. I'm not good to reassure people but I really hope you feel better!

Okay.. my rant: I said this before but I'm 21 years old and I started studying marine biology 4 years ago. The next year I was supposed to finish my studies and obtain my diploma. But now I'm not so sure about my future. The past year there was a rude selection process and we were only 14 students allowed to study marine biology. However, everything was cool because the teachers told us everybody will have his diploma. The rules have changed, they have just decided to introduce an other selection process. 100 people applied for the second year of Master but only 20 persons will be selected. My friends and I are afraid, we will have the result tomorrow. If I'm selected everything will be ok but.. If I'm not? I don't know.. I will have to find a job but without my diploma I don't know what can I do. Fortunately my parents are very nice, they told me they will be there for me. But I don't want to disappoint them, if I can't study marine biology I will have to find a job. My heart is broken. The French system is so cruel. I know exactly what I want to do and I was sure to have the chance to work for the protection of marine species. I can't believe that yesterday I was happy, thinking about Regina and her amazing show in Paris and now I'm terrified about my future. Ah.. sorry guys. I shouldn't be so pessimistic. Usually I'm a very happy and optimistic person. Well.. I have an awesome family, friends and I'm young! Nothing should stop me, right? Whatever happens, I will try to keep smiling.