Em Mitchell

Wee Rants

one of my best friends is seriously depressed right now and i just don't know how to help him. His girlfriend broke up with him, he's horrible heartbroken, and not moving on at all, can't even be in the same room as her, and is confused and bitter about it all. (she's my friend as well, i get why she did it, it was the right thing for her, but he just can't see past loosing her)

he's fallen completely behind on uni work, hasn't handed in the last assignment, hasn't started it, we have two seminars coming up and i don't see him being ready. he says he has panic attacks anytime he tries to start. he has chronic fatigue, and hardly sleeping during the night, so he doesn't have the energy to come in to uni half the time.

i just want to help him, and make it all better, but i don't see how. i feel like saying just get over it, and get on with it! but i've been though depression myself, and i know how impossible that can be

My best friend goes through something very similar and I've found the only thing I can truly do is be there for her. I can't speak for your friend, but for mine its a love/connection issue. Her family has never been there for her so she feels very insecure most of the time and needs to be reminded that people love her unconditionally and she is important to someone. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but just remind your friend that you care about him. Other than that the old saying is true: time heals. In the meantime maybe your friend should look into going to a psychiatrist, to have someone to talk to if nothing else. I wish the very best for both you and your friend!

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

In the meantime maybe your friend should look into going to a psychiatrist, to have someone to talk to if nothing else. I wish the very best for both you and your friend!

This is the best advise out there. Your friend is obviously in a state of depression and needs to talk this out. I just hope you aren't getting squeezed between them. It must be tough on you too. Hang in there.

quote:
Originally posted by tearose:

one of my best friends is seriously depressed right now

I agree with the two previous posts about seeing someone for help, if your friend can afford it. The other advantage of seeing a psychiatrist is that they can prescribe something to jumpstart a better mood. I have a friend who was very very depressed over a relationship that didn't work out. She took antidepressants for about two weeks and found that they turned off the loop of unhappy thoughts, and that break from the oppressive sadness gave her the strength to get herself together. She returned to her normal self fairly quickly. I assume that for most people it takes longer, but it still might be worth a try. Was your friend normally depressive or a pretty happy guy in general?

thanks everyone, he's already on antidepressants, but there not really working, just making him drowsy.

he can't afford to actually see a psychiatrist regularly, but is trying to get into the uni one's which are free, hopefully that will help.

unfortunately he's had depression before and is rather prone to getting with way, what with the cfs and all.

they're not making it too hard on everyone else, he can't stand to be around her but he doesn't expect other people to cut her off, and she's just frustrated with it all, but wants other people to help him coz she knows she can't.

quote:

thanks everyone, he's already on antidepressants, but there not really working, just making him drowsy.

Finding the right one(s) can take time. Dosage is also an issue. Mooebon's friend got lucky. It can take a while to get the right therapeutic program going.

Good luck and I hope everyone can work things out....

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

quote:

Finding the right one(s) can take time. Dosage is also an issue. Mooebon's friend got lucky. It can take a while to get the right therapeutic program going.

Good luck and I hope everyone can work things out....

a lot of time people get frustrated to find that a certain medicine isn't working for them. it takes a while....the brain is a complex beast.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

quote:
Originally posted by Sugardrive:

the brain is a complex beast.

As are Artificially Official Forum Bridezillas!

Edit: I almost forgot.... EekerRazzerBig Grin

smarty pants. <3

gmail split my thread after 103 emails! we were so ridiculously excited to get to 100 and then 104 showed up in a new thread, it's very disappointing.

i'm thinking they do it for the first received email after 100... total let down