Sign in to follow this  
SugarDrive

American Idol

Since we are on the topic of guilty pleasures, I'll have to admit:

I LOVE Panic at the Disco, their second album is good, very good actually. I'm glad I got that out!!

As for American Idol, I don't real1y watch it, I don't watch much TV at all to be honest

Dutch idols always starts with lots of bravado about discovering a new Dutch superstar who's gonna make it big all over the world...

In the end, they either become local musical-actors or melt back into obscurity after one or two very generic and mediocre albums filled with undistinctive covers and formula songs.

I think Idols is not only past it's prime (which ended at the same time as the first season) it was an outdated idea to start with. The 21st century sees a re-emergence of the Rockband as dominant musical style, the singer-songwriters come back into view and still the people who got rich with boybands and teen-stars in the 1980's and '90's think a formula act can still become legendary and stay that way for a decade...

I truly think those times are over, Idols is the last spasm of a dying musical culture.

The dance-routine pop-star groups will stick around for a while of course (Because the idea of a girl- or boyband is still interesting to mainstream youth), but I doubt their domination of the airwaves will last, or get back to the same level as in the '90's.

we witness the advent of a time where artists can again do the things they like themselves (even if that is singing about sexy people and dancing in sync), instead of fleshing out a concept cooked up by some manager.

the US version isn't quite so "tunnel vision"ed. We have rockers, jack johnson-esque singers, a girl kinda liks carole king, another like the carrie (i think that's her name) from heart.....one sounded just like janis joplin.

i hear where you're coming from, though...but to be fair, it is a rather diverse group of singers. *shrug*

I STILL LIKE IT... [/wrists]

That's good, sure, but the Dutch 2nd edition winner was a real soulman, now only famous for his couture brand Wink

I agree that the final selection holds a lot of quality and diversity each time, but in many countries, the talent found with Idols is mis-used. In my opinion the US-version breeds "stronger" artists because the US is the birthplace of popular music, they have REAL expertise and flexibility when it comes to musical fads, fast exploitation and a timely move-on to something new. Outside of the US, we just follow your lead (with a small delay) when it comes to pop music and milk it 'till a record company goes bankrupt (and then we discover the USA moved on long ago and dip into the new hype)... A teen-idol from the US is a welcome new artist all over the world (USA music=good music), European teen-stars are confined to their own countries and rightly so, the USA puts out enough of those people as it is Wink

a bit of a simplification, but that's how it works. Razzer

I greatly enjoyed how all Dutch "we're gonna create the new Backstreet Boys/Spice Girls!"-televesion shows had great ratings but never achieved it's great goal of creating a world famous teen-group. It's throw-a-way, one-use music. The albums put out are meant to keep the audience satisfied 'till the next series/season and when it comes, last years winners face obscurity if they ain't really good and have a creative team behind them instead of some mediocrities who still believe in the culture of '90's manufactured pop.

quote:
Originally posted by Tamx:

Since we are on the topic of guilty pleasures, I'll have to admit:

I LOVE Panic at the Disco, their second album is good, very good actually. I'm glad I got that out!!

No! You're totally right. I just listened to a lot of "Pretty. Odd." after reading your comment here, and my view of Panic at the Disco is WAY different now. I mean, sure, some of it is a bit cliche, but in general its really clever and has a nice tone.

I watch it for the lol-factor. It just makes me laugh - or rather, snort.

The show's job is to entertain you...if you think about it, that's its only purpose. The world isn't in desperate need of a fantastic new recording artist, but the show usually provides one anyway. It makes people feel like they have a sense of control, and uses other techniques to draw viewers in and make them feel like they're really a part of it all.

And that's what is disgusting about it - American Idol has taken my two good friends from me, because at lunch, instead of...uh, talking to me, they crouch over their iPods, sharing earphones, watching a video of 12 year old David Archuleta or listening to Blake Lewis or talking about scandals of the past or the rigged voting or who wore what on what episode or what Simon said after so-and-so sang. It is American Idol, all the time, every time I am with the two of them. Literally nothing else is talked about, and when I try to change the subject, they either ignore it or relate it to American Idol.

It just makes me angry because they think it matters, when it matters none at all.

Rant session over - damn, I was in a good mood, too. ):