Sign in to follow this  
Bartender

Prince Caspian Soundtrack

I'm assuming that she did not write the song or perhaps collaborated somewhat with Harry Gregson-Williams or someone else. Certainly the orchestration must be Mr. Gregson-Williams' (though I'd be happy to see Ms. Spektor adopt more orchestration for her own music in the future!). Wink

I'm pretty sure Imogen Heap did not write "Can't Take It In," which she sang on the first Narnia soundtrack. I would guess the same to be true here -- the composer of the film score writing the song, with some existing singer whom he admires in mind, hence some of the Regina-isms in the melody (though not, as Mooebon points out) in the lyrics.

But we'll see! Disney has also sometimes commissioned songs from people (Jonatha Brooke in "Return to Neverland" or some of those dreadful songs in Mulan II or Aladdin II, which were admittedly direct-to-DVD).

It being Disney, I'm sure that the CD itself will include copious credits so that we'll know just exactly who was responsible for what, though I'm surprised it hasn't been clearer on Amazon or other websites. Oh well!

quote:
Originally posted by morricone1900

It being Disney, I'm sure that the CD itself will include copious credits so that we'll know just exactly who was responsible for what, though I'm surprised it hasn't been clearer on Amazon or other websites. Oh well!

Oh! Well, I will have to go investigate! If I find out anything, I will post.

Good to see you paying a visit to the forum Morricone. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by morricone1900:

I'm pretty sure Imogen Heap did not write "Can't Take It In," which she sang on the first Narnia soundtrack. I would guess the same to be true here -- the composer of the film score writing the song, with some existing singer whom he admires in mind, hence some of the Regina-isms in the melody (though not, as Mooebon points out) in the lyrics.

Actually, imogen heap did write "cant take it in", co-write, anyway, with Harry Gregson-Williams. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp...ontent_id=1001612913

they also commissioned her to write another song for prince caspian, but it was too dark so it wasnt used.

quote:
Originally posted by xuluthez:

Actually, imogen heap did write "cant take it in", co-write, anyway, with Harry Gregson-Williams. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp...ontent_id=1001612913

they also commissioned her to write another song for prince caspian, but it was too dark so it wasnt used.

That's very interesting but makes it seem even less likely that Regina wrote "The Call" because Imogen's song is billed differently from Regina's on the Disney website.

Imogen's song on the "Wardrobe" cd is listed: 14. Can't Take It In/Imogen Heap. Tracks by the score composer on that cd are listed: The Stone Table/Harry Gregson-Williams." Authorship seems clear in both cases.

But, on the "Caspian" cd, Regina's track is listed: 13. The Call/Performed by Regina Spektor while tracks by Harry Gregson-Williams are just listed: Return of the Lion/Score, which seems consistent with the idea that one person (Harry G-W) wrote all the music.

And in fact the Caspian cd says on the back: "All music by Harry Gregson-Williams."

I can see why there would be confusion because when I listen to "The Call," I hear elements that seem Regina-esque. But then, I'd say the same about "Real Love," "Chelsea Hotel" and "My Dear Acquaintance." Regina imbues all covers she does with her own sound.

Maybe Harry G-W wrote the song with Regina in mind---plus there could have been informal collaboration---but to me, it seems likely that Regina did not write the song herself.

Anyhow, lol, as interesting as it is (to me) to speculate on all this, it has no relevance to my feelings about "The Call," which I really like. It's exciting to have something NEW from Regina, and I'm happy for her that she's being invited to do things like this. Smiler