Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

2008 Election

This is a bad idea. Political discussions on forums lead to nothing but trouble. I behove you, in the name of respekt peace, to please abandon this thread.

Most other forums I belong to a moderator would lock this thread post haste. It's not that people aren't entitled to discuss issues. It's that these ideological ones usually become way too heated for this format. Especially in our case where there is zero moderation.

To continue this is asking for trouble.

PLEASE

l know nothing about this election because i do not live in america

What interests me is this extremely odd way Americans assume by default, everyone does live in America, I even saw a thing on tv where they interviewed young Americans. Who seemed to be able grasp the concept that we live on a globe of many countries but became very confused (even a little scared) when it was explained that America was merely one of these countries.

It was difficult to understand the mindset they have and even harder to try to explain it here

I have tried to get a grip on the thinking behind it on various US forums but more than once i've been told to "speak goddam english"

being English born and bred i find that a tad annoying, people whos first language is not english must find it maddening.

As for politics themselves i agree with andreseng express your views in the polling booth, but if you MUST talk about it on the internet then at least have the good manners to understand the MAJORITY of the people reading it do not live in the same country as you!

quote:
Originally posted by Cuddly Knife:

What interests me is this extremely odd way Americans assume by default, everyone does live in America, I even saw a thing on tv where they interviewed young Americans. Who seemed to be able grasp the concept that we live on a globe of many countries but became very confused (even a little scared) when it was explained that America was merely one of these countries.

Please don't generalize. Not all "young Americans" think that way.

quote:
Originally posted by rosa_de_oro:

quote:

maybe not, but how many own a passport?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by rosa_de_oro:

quote:

maybe not, but how many own a passport?

Lots do, actually. At least in my area. But, even if they didn't, that wouldn't necessarily mean that they think that way. Traveling internationally is really expensive, with the American dollar being as weak as it is.