Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

2008 Election

quote:
Originally posted by ThePoetsLove:

Cuddly Knife, I kinda have to disagree with just about everything you've said. First of all, I don't live in America either, but I still know about, and am interested in the election in the states, and I think its wrong for you to assume that just because we're British we shouldn't have any thoughts or opinions about the subject.

I also think its slightly hypocritical that your going on about Americans not knowing about anything outside America (which, if I were an intelligent young American, which a lot of people on this forum are, i would be slightly offended by) when you obviously havn't watched the news recently because the American election has been all over it.

And, no, Americans were not the only ones thayt didn't get lost was about American isolation, I missed that too.

of course you are right i'm just being my usual double edged self, hence giving the inside track on that tv serious, i can be a bit wicked at times (i do what i say on the tin )

and yes of course im aware of the american election, but i have no idea when the french or german elections are.

and the only reason i was able to say what i did say was because of the very fact that our american cousins on this board ARE more intelligent and worldly than most, ive been banned out of hand for saying much less provocative things on other boards.

my original point that i strayed from was something that does annoy me greatly, its that most of us not from america (and this goes more than doubly for non-english speakers) are often treated as foreigners on the internet, i think the internet has immense potential to do great good in international relations but first and yes im afraid americans are the most guilty on this point it must be understood that there are no foreigners on the internet

well. i don't wanna get into a tiff with anyone, but i can see both sides. being an american who is extememly interested in european culture, I will be the first to say that my fellow americans aren't as consious of the outside world as much as other countries populations are. But i will also mention something that people overlook. you talkk about american isolationism but really.. we are isolated. Its much easier to see the "big picture" of the world when you can look across the channel and see another country that speaks another language. Especially speaking from a middle american point of view where i can't make a 20 minute trip to canada or mexico, pretty much all i encounter are americans. american television, american restaurants. It is completely normal for someone to grow up their whole lives here never traveling out of the country, never hearing another langauge. It is a part of the american culture, and the american people can't control what is in the news in europe or in america. Like begets like, and people for ages over here have lived without a real knowlegde of the world outside of the states (even though there are CLEARLY many many americans who are very worldly, we know it just isn't the majority). so I understand what you are saying, but you must also understand the american culture, with its faults. To me, your statement gravely parallels those who claim that black people in america shouldn't need any extra help because people have had civil rights for ages. but they simply don't understand the obstacles still holding blacks back still today.

its a cycle and not something that people do intentionally. no american wakes up everyday and says "Yep. im gunna ignore every other country today!" but that is just sometimes how it happens. But also its not just an american thing, english speakers in general have this idea that they are top. i mean... its a big heairy political thing tha ti don't want to get into but its pretty clear that english speakers don't feel a need to learn a language and in th end it makes them less compassionate culturally. okay, im done.. **gets off her soapbox**

Good point Perks. I'm English and only know my native language. Well I do know some spanish, and I use the word 'some' for it's obscurity Roll Eyes. Though I see myself as quite a compassionate person but I fully understand the generalisation you made there. I love language and speak to and see quite a few foreign people and whenever I ask they usually always know atleast 3 languages. I think these multilingual people are Uber. Language completely fascinates me, I would love to learn a few in my lifetime.

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

well. i don't wanna get into a tiff with anyone, but i can see both sides. being an american who is extememly interested in european culture, I will be the first to say that my fellow americans aren't as consious of the outside world as much as other countries populations are. But i will also mention something that people overlook. you talkk about american isolationism but really.. we are isolated. Its much easier to see the "big picture" of the world when you can look across the channel and see another country that speaks another language. Especially speaking from a middle american point of view where i can't make a 20 minute trip to canada or mexico, pretty much all i encounter are americans. american television, american restaurants. It is completely normal for someone to grow up their whole lives here never traveling out of the country, never hearing another langauge. It is a part of the american culture, and the american people can't control what is in the news in europe or in america. Like begets like, and people for ages over here have lived without a real knowlegde of the world outside of the states (even though there are CLEARLY many many americans who are very worldly, we know it just isn't the majority). so I understand what you are saying, but you must also understand the american culture, with its faults. To me, your statement gravely parallels those who claim that black people in america shouldn't need any extra help because people have had civil rights for ages. but they simply don't understand the obstacles still holding blacks back still today.

its a cycle and not something that people do intentionally. no american wakes up everyday and says "Yep. im gunna ignore every other country today!" but that is just sometimes how it happens. But also its not just an american thing, english speakers in general have this idea that they are top. i mean... its a big heairy political thing tha ti don't want to get into but its pretty clear that english speakers don't feel a need to learn a language and in th end it makes them less compassionate culturally. okay, im done.. **gets off her soapbox**

it's an interesting idea, but i'm afraid it kind of falls though when you look at a country like australia, we are much more geographically isolated then america. and yet we don't have anywhere near the insular culture. and i say that from my experience going to america and what american friends who have come over to australia have said to me.

this very point is the reason one of my friends, who has come over to aust for only a semester, desperately wants to move away from america permanently.

personally i think a lot of it stems from the fact that america is so big and so powerful, you simply don't need to acknowledge the rest of the world, so american people (like most on this board) only do if they actually go out looking for it... that and the media, american media is amazing to behold

i don't know if this is really correlated, but this whole [dare i say ignorant] mindset is really in America's history more so than any other country. like perks said, getting out of this cycle will not happen overnight.

like from manifest destiny (thinking it's our God given right to take land from Native Americans), to slavery, to the immigration laws at the turn of the 20th century, and all of the US's 'policing' of communist countries during the Cold War, and now in the middle east...America has not had the best relationship with other parts of the world. I really don't think the US is isolationist anymore, that ended when we entered WWI. ..though I've never seen LOST, so I don't know.

I think it is different from Australia because of these things. Aside from a similar isolation geographically and similar unfair treatment to the native peoples by the europeans, Australia has had a much more.. friendly history. Especially after they got rid of the White Australia policy in the 70s. [given, i am not an expert in australian history] And it is probably also because of the superpower status of the US, whereas the rest of the world is kind of forced to deal with americanization and globalization.

I know i'm rambling.. but one of my friends is teaching english for the peace corps in kyrgyztan. The kids there have to learn english to even have a chance at a better life and maybe move to america. And they (innocently and naïvely) asked her if americans are learning kyrgyz and want to go to kyrgyztan like they want to go to america. it kind put things in perspective for me..as an american..and our relationship to the world.

as for the 2008 US election, musiclover2007, I think you already know that the majority of young people support Obama, for reasons you can read in the newspaper or online.

as for the 2008 election in Italy, berlusconi won....... sigh.

well yeah i swear if anyone lands on mars they will find two australians in a camper van cooking something godawful in a pit.

but americas power is dwindling sooo fast, soon most countries will have nuclear weapons,i forget the exact responce an american president (reagen i think) got when he stated in a speech to the american public he intended to build radar stations all over europe to provide america with a missile bubble type shield (but only covering america) well lets just say the european reponse was not good

and controlling the supply of oil is growing is becoming less of a big deal as we realise that enviroment friendly power sources are actualy a damn site easier than we thought ,even in dull old britain we are getting a heat pump and exchanger fitted which, barring the electric pump, will be the heating sorted for the house and even a pool in summer, for free

i have forgotten my point now, but apparently amazon.co.uk have a 70% off sale on due to the low dollar, so toodle pip

i also like the one type alternative energy that uses the tide to create electricity

>.<

i forgot but we made enough waves in science class to power a lightbulb for an hour so it was pretty cool...

they little metal washer went up the pole and down and created little sparks and jolts and it powered the light bulb.

:\

if i could remember i would sound less insane >.<

quote:
Originally posted by Cuddly Knife:

(don't know what you laughing about my Aussie friend, in real life its your boys that would be sent over with a sharpened banana to suss it out Roll Eyes )

i'm laughing coz i've tried to hash this out with music_lover before, and given up, some things are never gonna change, and in this situation music_lover is one of them, but hey he's an interesting guy, who brings a very interesting perspective and really if that's what he wants to believe, then that's he's prerogative

and we've already been sent over (minus the sharpened bananas... i mean really, how would that work anyway? they're squishy!). we went to a war the vast majority of our country didn't support coz our PM was a shrub (a little bush). and now he's gone!