Sign in to follow this  
Tamx

A stage musical based on Reg's music

OK i know i keep posting useless little random ideas, and I will write some more at some point, but don't you think that Long Brown Hair would be a great song for Mary Ann to be performing? Can't you just imagine it?

I think her song Genius Next Door would make for a good play, simply because it results in a tragic suicide - I mean it worked so well for Shakespeare. Regina is just as good. Actually, I'd prefer her to write Macbeth but then that's neither here nor there.

All jokes aside, I think it would be really interesting. Because Genius Next Door mentions the township, as kind of revolving around the leading circumstance, of what would be the "genius", I think it would be great to have other stories throughout the play going on as a personality to the "community" (if that makes any sense). For instance: Daniel Cowman, Pound of Flesh and Chemo Limo all deal with life conditions that are seen in every town. who knows, maybe the genius is Samson

idk I just think to promote each story in one, kinda like the Across the Universe film was a tribute to The Beatles, would be very amazing and very Regina. but I wouldn't count on it so soon if at all because She's at her prime, there's still so many songs to look foward to before ever considering anything else

I haven't posted anything to this thread. I have really enjoyed reading people's thoughts. We have a very creative bunch around here.

With the advent of the Lyrics thread, it kind of struck me. There is a musical sitting right there begging to be done.

Mary Ann Meets the Gravediggers and Other Short Stories.

Take a look at what's there...it's a compilation that really lends itself to what you've all been working on...

Just thought I'd throw this out there...

It DOES fit quite a lot! Thanks andreseng. I haven't heard the compilation, but I will add the songs on the tracklisting onto an itunes playlist to see how it flows together. Smiler

On another note, Raindrops sounds like a perfect song for Carl.

That's weird, I've been thinking about how cool it would be if there was a Regina musical, and you guys have a whole thread about it! I always thought Daniel Cowman and Chemo Limo totally sound like musical songs Smiler But I guess a simiar thought must have been posted here at least a couple of times, right?

in all honesty. i don't think any of use should make a musical based on her songs. i think regina herself has the power to make one herself. regina is getting better and better with every song she makes, and at this early in her fame. who knows what she'll do with her career. lot's of musican go on to do many diffrent things with their talents. so it wouldn't suprise me if she hasn't thought of it herself. :]

whoever said they wanted this to be a movie and not a musical, I definitely disagree. Regina’s music is NOT mainstream enough, and we are not going to attempt to make it that way (aaaah!). yeah, it could be way cool as an artsy like film festival flick (maybe). Remember, the only movie musicals we have heard of (lets list some) rent, chicago, phantom, jesus christ superstar, Sweeney todd, hairspray, the producers, hair, footloose- were already smash hits on broadway OR like across the universe- were revivals of classic songs. Or Disney. Lol.

BUT I think, being a jukebox musical and all, this would have a good chance of not only making it to Broadway, but being successful there. I feel like Regina’s style actually could have a huge impact there. Couldn’t you just imagine it? Reading this thread made me immediately start blocking scenes and inventing lighting cues in my head! Also, movie musicals suck. They always lose their impact in trying to make it an acceptable length and content for audiences.

Haha, that’s my little spiel. Sorry for my theatre-dorkiness, but I had to stop lurking like a creeper and actually say something for once!

Wow, I had completely forgotten this thread until the other day when I started thinking of ideas and such. I was thinking maybe the storyline could be structured in a non-linear way, we could play with the times and introduce flashbacks and stuff

that just made me remember something, tamx! the other day when i commented on this thread, i actually had a dream about it (lol). because you know i only go on here at like 2 in the morning, like any sane person would. but i didnt really remember much at the time, and now i do!

anyway, my dream was basically this musical (kind of, it was a bit off because it was a dream). and there were all these flashbacks to carl's past. but the weird thing was that through all the flashbacks, lucille was always in the background, kind of narrating it in song. the only thing i really remember clearly is a scene in a church (i dont know, i guess carl was really religious or something?) and lucille was the church pianist, and just broke out into blue lips during the scene. and the part "blue, the most human color" was sung in crazy harmonies by a full chorus and it built up into this huge stunning crescendo. and i remember thinking (while dreaming) "this is freaking amazing!"

thats about it. i thought it was an interesting concept. just thought i would throw it out there, haha.