Sign in to follow this  
Chia

Bass on 11:11

I'd like some help...

A number of the tracks on 11:11 have some nice basswork on them, courtesy of (some source tells me) Chris Kuffner??

Well, the important thing is that I've played electric bass for 5 years (considering my age, a good chunk of my life), and yes I could figure out the basslines for the songs (maryann, love affair), but whenever i start listening, as you might have expected, i get captivated by the piano and vocals.

SOOO, if anybody has any of the basswork for 11:11, be it tabs, sheet music, or even just chord progressions, i would greatly appreciate it.

I'd like some help...

A number of the tracks on 11:11 have some nice basswork on them, courtesy of (some source tells me) Chris Kuffner??

Well, the important thing is that I've played electric bass for 5 years (considering my age, a good chunk of my life), and yes I could figure out the basslines for the songs (maryann, love affair), but whenever i start listening, as you might have expected, i get captivated by the piano and vocals.

SOOO, if anybody has any of the basswork for 11:11, be it tabs, sheet music, or even just chord progressions, i would greatly appreciate it.

ah, thank you for the help, but alas, there's only piano and vocals there (and i mean "only" in the most respektful way, of course).

Nonetheless, muchly appreciated!

WEll i study the classical bass as my primary instrument, and i havent really gotten around to regina cuz i focus on piano.. and her music is my escape from the classical world.... . I memorized Mary Ann a long long while ago and used to sing along but if i get the time id love to make sheets.

but as a bassist, ill take it on!

(omg today im testing out a bass worth 10,000 bucks... its so beautiful!!!!.. but my daddy is freaking out hes like what 15 year old needs a bass worth a car. and im like, me.)

hahaha, you absolutely need it! i got my first bass when i graduated 5th grade (wish i started sooner), but i've had a better one for years (traben array 4 premium, but i want a 5 string!). recently got a new amp though. and i only play a little classical (only Bach though! no reason), mostly funk (rhcp, flea!) or whatever hits the spot (jaco, "portrait of tracy").

a teacher in my school actually showed me a handmade bass worth about 10,000$ haha, and i just scoffed at him and went back to my mechanical drawing hahah

Unrelated, but I'm thinking of taking up electric bass. Is it more similar to classical string instruments than the guitar is? Because the guitar is crazy difficult when you're used to only one string at a time...

hmm, well i guess it depends on what style of music you plan to play on the electric. but most likely, you wouldn't be dealing with many chords or anything, outside of harmonics sometimes, so yeah, i guess it's more like a cello? however, if you're going to be playing funk, thus using the slap technique, it's still different from classical instruments. either way, it didn't take me long to learn (i remember the first day i got mine, my brother taught me Greenday's "Longview"). I'm sure you'd have no trouble, you get better very quickly if you enjoy playing.

Well first of all, the electric bass and the classical bass are two very very completely different instruments. Its very wrong to categorize any instruments because all are different, and usually it depends on the player.

I played guitar (mostly electric) for a good 5,6 years until i began learning the Upright bass.

And there was really no similarity at all- nothing really helped me other than a good knowledge of theory and modes and intervals ETC.

but with the Guitar versus classical instruemtns its actually kind of funny to compare.

The electric bass was created to be very user friendly and easy to play, and thats why its great. Most people can pick up an electric and at least pluck out a bass line. Granted, slapping takes some time to learn, and only good bassists utilize the instrument appropriately, but the electric bass is fun, and can be easy depending on what you are playing (church band, etc.)

On classical instruments, it takes years of training to simply learn a bow hold, let alone a decade to master bowing technique. and oh wait THE INSTRUMENT ITSELF.

Todays rock instruments (modern ones) were invented off making classical instruments much easier to play and fit the technology, of course.

Now its hard hard hard to become an amazing guitarist or a great bassist, but its NOT hard to learn the basics-- and most "guitarists" only know about 10 chords, if anything.

As for the bass, if you already know the classical BASS, the electric bass could be easy (i mean it has FRETS which no classical instruments do..) but i guess the bass and the bass are the most similar between classical and electric basses on a basic level.

And i would guess if you are picking up the elec. bass for the first time, youd be fine because most material is super easy.

and trust me, if you think its hard to pick up a guitar after a classical instrument, i think you are very wrong! they are very separate and i dont think its related how you play one string at a time or not (even though chords are very common in classical music anyway)

but as for the elec. bass, its simple for beginners, in my opinion and youd be great. it is more similar in the fact that it has the same number and usage of strings. however now you have frets. SUPER weird. Wink and i doubt youll be playing any elec. bass chords as an intro.

jesus what did i spend that time talking about