Sign in to follow this  
Chia

Bass on 11:11

quote:
On classical instruments, it takes years of training to simply learn a bow hold, let alone a decade to master bowing technique. and oh wait THE INSTRUMENT ITSELF.

Todays rock instruments (modern ones) were invented off making classical instruments much easier to play and fit the technology, of course.

So by this, I can guess that learning classical is harder, and learning rock is easier, and if you get classical training first, then rock is a piece of cake?

That's probably not what you're saying at all, but yeah, I do have the first part down.

Chords are what got me - and like, figuring out how they like, fit in a song and why they do and, yeah, individual notes and strings just make more sense to me from violin experience. Which makes me think learning basslines wouldn't be hard...and music theory helps, right? Because...yeah, I got a lot of that under my belt, too.

I'm going to just give it a try and see if it's as easy as I think, thanks bro.

quote:
Originally posted by 1953:

quote:
On classical instruments, it takes years of training to simply learn a bow hold, let alone a decade to master bowing technique. and oh wait THE INSTRUMENT ITSELF.

Todays rock instruments (modern ones) were invented off making classical instruments much easier to play and fit the technology, of course.

So by this, I can guess that learning classical is harder, and learning rock is easier, and if you get classical training first, then rock is a piece of cake?

That's probably not what you're saying at all, but yeah, I do have the first part down.

Chords are what got me - and like, figuring out how they like, fit in a song and why they do and, yeah, individual notes and strings just make more sense to me from violin experience. Which makes me think learning basslines wouldn't be hard...and music theory helps, right? Because...yeah, I got a lot of that under my belt, too.

I'm going to just give it a try and see if it's as easy as I think, thanks bro.

Yeah, it really depends on the person. But the electric bass really should be easy for you after a while. to begin with, its not that hard, so youll be fine.

but classical training or not, it really just depends on the person. some people can pick up 10 instruments, ya know? Big Grin

i think you'll have no problem dealing with the electric bass. only odd thing is that the violin's strings are G,D,A,E from lowest to highest, right? Because the bass's are E,A,D,G from lowest to highest. no problem though haha.

and as long as you don't get bored with learning techniques and such (sometimes it's tough to get hooked in the beginning, you know?), you should really enjoy playing!