Sign in to follow this  
Bartender

Interview on Q104.3 on August 3

quote:
Originally posted by Em Mitchell:

Haha where's that from? Also, I found a community on LiveJournal for bitching about obsessive/excessive Regina fans. Did not expect to find that haha. I reckon it's only a matter of time before I'm on it.

No way! I need to direct my friends to that one...

Thanx for the interview!! aand... i read somewhere some interview with John Cusack (the actor from Hi Fidelity, I remember this when she told the "Fidelity" creation) that he was a big Regina's fan and would like to invite her to (act in ) his next film!!!

Gracias por la entrevista!! yy... lei por algún lado alguna entrevista a John Cusack ( el actor de Hi Fidelity, me acordé esto cuando ella cuenta la creación de "Fidelity") que era un gran fan de Regina y le gustaría invitarla a (acutuar en ) su próxima pelicula!!!

quote:
Originally posted by fd:

Thanx for the interview!! aand... i read somewhere some interview with John Cusack (the actor from Hi Fidelity, I remember this when she told the "Fidelity" creation) that he was a big Regina's fan and would like to invite her to (act in ) his next film!!!

Yeah, John Cusack is a big Regina fan; I remember reading about how his playlist on Itunes had "Ghost of Corperate Future" on it, and he also recommended "Chimo Limo." And Regina thanks him in the "Begin to Hope" liner notes, I suppose for the support, and also the inspiration for the song from his movie. I wonder if they're friends. Does anyone know if they've actually met in person?

I found a transcript of the interview on another forum!

Transcript: (by 'sisterernestine' of yessaid.com)

Jonathan: Hey Regina, how ya doing?

Reg: Hi, I'm good! Thank you for having me on your show!

Jon: Thanks for calling into the show. You're- you're a New Yorker, but I guess, and you're probably used to this, and maybe it's a uniquely American thing to do, but one of the first things we find out, when you first came on the scene a few years ago, is that you're actually born in Moscow, and at the age of 9, I guess during Perestroika, you immigrated to the Bronx with your family, and I guess we find that interesting because America has had a long and sort of ever-changing history with Russia. I mean, what do you think, everyone sort of latches onto that right away, right?

Reg: Yeah, well, it's interesting, because I think it's gone through all kinds of stages, in my life, like when I first got here as a little kid, I remember meeting, like uh, parents and grandparents of my, you know, American classmates, and stuff like that, and they would be like, they would say all this like anti-Communist stuff and then they would just... you know, and it took me a really long time I think, 'til I was maybe in college when I started watching some documentaries and I saw all kinds of prop- anti-soviet propaganda 'cuz I always thought it was just the Russians that had the propaganda, you know, against America and the West, but I guess there was quite a lot of fear, you know, and then you learn all this stuff like McCarthyism and all that stuff and you just realize, wow, you know, people were really scared of Russia too, so you don't necessarily represent, like, some, you know, like they don't neccessarily think, you know, first thing, like Pushkin and Dostoievsky, like, cool music and art, like, it's more like, wow, you know the bomb and missiles and the iron curtain and stuff.

Jon- Well, I know you were quite young when you moved to America, and I don't know if you remember this, but as a kid over there, do you remember listening to music and if so, what music, at the age of 7, 8, 9 years old?

Reg: Oh yeah, of course, I remember Russia really well, and it's like, I have such fond memories of my childhood there because first of all, my parents were really cool, and then, all of their friends were really cool, so I sort of had this, you know, this upbringing where, where there was lots of art and music, and my, my parents had- I grew up with tremendous ammounts of classical music, and that was...

Jon: Yeah, I read that about your parents, especially, too...

Reg: Yeah, yeah, they both studied it, and my mom taught in a conservatory there, and they both played, and then, but my dad also, was like really, avid tape, trade-maker and... like he and his friends, they, they had made a great deal of tapes of stuff that wasn't really around, but there was a, you know, there's a huge underground scene, just like in any situation where people are dissatisfied with the mainstream, I mean, you have that here, then you know, people start looking for something else, people get stuff from the West, people... so he had all kinds of like, you know, he had like cassette tapes of the Beatles, and the Moody Blues...

Jon: Cassettes? What are cassettes? (laughs dumbly)

Reg: (laughs)

Jon: That's cool!

Reg: Yeah, so it was really, you know, just a lot of my memories are just like [of] dancing around on like Sunday afternoons in the living room, listening to this music where I didn't understand any of the words yet, because I didn't speak English until after I came here and learned it, but, the feeling of the music was just so different than anything I had ever heard.

Jon: Jonathan Clark live on the phone with Regina Spektor, and uh, a graduate, -now do I have this right?- of Fairlawn High School in Jersey?

Reg: (laughs) Yeah, yeah. I went there- I actually went there from the middle of my junior year til the end of my senoir year, only, I transfered there from a private school, and it was awesome! I loved it! As a matter of fact, I, um, I still have some friends from there, and one of them lives in London, and they all have moved all over the place, so it's cool, I get to see them in other places.

Jon- Your current album is "Begin to Hope," and uh, we'll give our listeners a shot at winning that and tickets to an upcoming show shortly here, but, um, so

for the few listeners in the world that have not heard this song... "Better," talk about the inspiration for you for this song, "better"?

Reg: Oh. For, for "Better"? Well actually, "Better" was one of the old songs that I put on this record. I think I wrote that when I was, when I was, maybe, 18 or 19.

Jon: Wow.

Reg: So, it's kind of, it was kind of cool that everybody treated it like a new song, even though it was an old song.

Jon: Right yeah. Nick Valensi from the Strokes is on this, on guitar on this?

Reg: Yeah. He played- he's an amazing guitarist, he's one of my favorites, and he's uh, a lovely guy, so it was cool, you know, I love the Strokes so much, that it was just, it was a real honor, you know, to have him play on that. It was fun!

(album version of "Better" plays)

Jon: Regina Spektor here on Q 104.3's "out of the box" and Regina along with Albert Hammond Jr. coming to McCarren Park Pool August 15th, right around the corner, so let's do this, first two callers, toll free listener line, get a copy of Regina's Begin to Hope CD, and a pair of tickets to that show! So, good luck. First two callers.

So, Regina, talk about that show, it's a pretty cool show, right?

Reg: I'm very excited for that show because it's this incredibly unique venue, because it's just this huge pool, swimming pool, that fits like-

Jon: Without water, obviously.

Reg: Yeah, without water! Which actually would make it a much more exciting and possibly dangerous show... but, it's a swimming pool that fits, I think it fits a few thousand people into it- it's huge, and then there's just like a band shell that's just been built above it. And I've seen a show there that was really great. So I just, I think that it's going to be a lot of fun. Plus, it's exciting to play with Albert. And um, I'm very excited for the show!

Jon: So, this other song on your cd, "Fidelity" you know, if you didn't hear it on the radio, you probably heard it on Veronica Mars, or Gray's Anatomy, or Las Vegas, and like, a million other places. And so, you were watching the movie High Fidelity, and that's how this song sort of came to mind?

Reg: Yeah, well, actually, I was re-watching High Fidelity, for like the tenth time, and that's how the song came about.

Jon: They call that the 'new classic,' right, High Fidelity?

Reg: Right, I just think it's a great movie, and I always would just go back and re-watch it you know, it's one of those that you always go back to, and then, I just wrote the song. I was really glad...

Jon: So, what's next, are you working on a new album?

Reg: I am. I'm working on a new, on a new record. And um, hopefully, it will be done before the year is out. I hope so.

Jon: Oh, wow, okay.

Reg: Really gonna try.

Jon: You gonna record it here in the city? Or, you gonna go somewhere else?

Reg: Yeah. I've been recording in the city. And I, I'm gonna keep trying to. It's sort of hard, because, I think a lot of people, a lot of, all kinds of producers and musicians don't live in New York, a lot of them are on the other coast, but I really, I've been sort of "Come here! You know, New York is the greatest!" I definitely feel the happiest when I'm working in New York, because, it's just, the whole, it's just so alive, it gives so much, it's such a generous city, you know, and you can always just step outside and you're surrounded by real people having these you know, complicated and great lives, and you get really inspired just taking the subways, and just looking around, and I don't, I don't like being separated from that when I work.

Jon: Regina's current cd is Begin To Hope. For more info on Regina Spektor... q104.3 .com keyword 'out of the box'. And Regina, thank you so much for calling in tonight.

Reg: Thank you!

Jon: And I guess we'll see you with Albert Hammond Jr. at McCarren Park Pool, Brooklyn, August 15th.

Reg: Yeah, please come. Thank you!

("Fidelity" album version plays.)

quote:
Originally posted by Em Mitchell:

Haha where's that from? Also, I found a community on LiveJournal for bitching about obsessive/excessive Regina fans. Did not expect to find that haha. I reckon it's only a matter of time before I'm on it.

what's it called?

i remember, i used to get so heated about this anti-amy lee community there is.

I still may try to find a way down to NYC for the Pool show... you know, since Regina said "Please come" and all.

*hopes for money to fall from the sky*

Also, I thought it was well known for a few months now that she's been working on the next album. Why are all you regular 'stixers acting so surprised? Geeze peoples, don't forget to renew your subscriptions to "OMG monthly" & "Unwarranted Freakout Magazine".

Also, on a side note,

YAY an album is on the way!

SmilerRazzer

*heart*

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyC:

Also, I thought it was well known for a few months now that she's been working on the next album. Why are all you regular 'stixers acting so surprised? Geeze peoples, don't forget to renew your subscriptions to "OMG monthly" & "Unwarranted Freakout Magazine".

I guess everyone wasn't expecting a new ablum possibly by the end of this year or maybe early 2009.

*omgnewablumcantwaitholycrap* Big Grin

quote:

I hadn't heard anything concrete about it.. All that I knew was a few stixers were guessing that an album would be coming out this year. Did I miss word that she was working on one?

Also, about the LJ community, it can be found here. They're not anti-Regina, the majority of them are actually fans, they just rant about mad fans who make outbursts like I did on the previous page Razzer

quote:
Originally posted by leaves:

quote:

I guess everyone wasn't expecting a new ablum possibly by the end of this year or maybe early 2009.

*omgnewablumcantwaitholycrap* Big Grin

Yeah, like for me it seemed like shes doing a million things at once right now so I wasn't expecting to hear anything about release dates untill much later. I also didn't know that better was so old!