Sign in to follow this  
mattrscity

Just wanted to say hello

Hi Jaraad! welcome to the stix (gee i hope i'm cool enough to say that Razzer) so lets see how many of your questions I can answer...

What do stixers listen to? I'll answer for myself, mostly regina, and then the dresden dolls/amanda palmer. Also ingrid michaelson, tegan and sara, joanna newsom, kimya dawson.. i guess I like unique female singer songwriter types. I've also noticed that people round these parts tend to like bjork, ani difranco, nicole atkins, rachael yamagata, and other... unique female singer songwriters Big Grin

Which stixers are aspiring singer songwriters? First person that comes to mind is Melissa Trinchere otherwise known as PilingAndTwisting. She makes wonderful music and has even posted a regina cover or two. Aaand has a CD called A Lunar Legacy if I have my facts right. I also know that PerksofaWallflower a.k.a jess has made some loverly music and some reg covers, and also peter quint a.k.a stephan also makes some very wunderful music. I'm sure there are more, but this is what i could remember off the top of my head.

The book?: the book was a really cool project where everybody involved made a letter, or a piece of art or anything creative that they wanted and put it on a piece of paper. then the 'entries' were collected and bound into the famous 'book' that was given to regina spektor at mcarren park pool. (The stuff of legends). Does my explanation make less than no sense? probably. For more information on the book, here's the official thread and here's the original thread.

What is a bump?: If somebody wants others to notice or remember a thread, then they will reply to it so that it appears higher to the top of the section, cuz they're arranged in order of most recently replied. This is called a bump Smiler

hope I helped and welcome to the brumstix!

quote:
Originally posted by HFLAbob:

Well, I've been posting a bit, especially in the respekt: the musical thread, but I've been wanting to introduce myself. I've been looking around for the right thread but i'm just gonna post here.

Hi everyone! My name's Jaraad. I'm 14. Live in the U.S. I've loved Regina more every second since my sister got B2H for my other sister for her bday a couple years back.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of music everyone else listens to. I listen to a lot of female singer songwriters, a lot of Regina, of course, also ingrid michaelson, more regina, sia, other people. I've always hoped to find a male version of Regina, but no male singer songwriters I have found to date are that great, in my opinion. Maybe Ben Folds, some of his songs anyway.

I'm also curious how many other members of Brumstix(the stix? is that what the cool kids say?) are themselves aspiring singer songwriters. I've written a couple of songs, and though I don't consider myself very good, my greatest desire is to magically become good, and be the male regina. Ah, dreams. Okay moving on from depressing myself.

Questions 'bout the stix: What is that infamous book that was handed off to the Great One herself? What is all this bumping going on?

Hello! How are you?

I must say, I too dream of magically becoming awesome (musically) Big Grin

And I too have written a few dreadful songs. Regina makes us all look bad!! She's too darn good.

Heh I'm taking vocal lessons and teaching myself piano now... and the fact that this started ever since I heard Reg, is purely coincidental Roll Eyes

quote:

Well, I've been posting a bit, especially in the respekt: the musical thread, but I've been wanting to introduce myself. I've been looking around for the right thread but i'm just gonna post here.

Hi everyone! My name's Jaraad. I'm 14. Live in the U.S. I've loved Regina more every second since my sister got B2H for my other sister for her bday a couple years back.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of music everyone else listens to. I listen to a lot of female singer songwriters, a lot of Regina, of course, also ingrid michaelson, more regina, sia, other people. I've always hoped to find a male version of Regina, but no male singer songwriters I have found to date are that great, in my opinion. Maybe Ben Folds, some of his songs anyway.

I'm also curious how many other members of Brumstix(the stix? is that what the cool kids say?) are themselves aspiring singer songwriters. I've written a couple of songs, and though I don't consider myself very good, my greatest desire is to magically become good, and be the male regina. Ah, dreams. Okay moving on from depressing myself.

Questions 'bout the stix: What is that infamous book that was handed off to the Great One herself? What is all this bumping going on?

Good to have you with us, Jaraad! I can see that the others answered most of your questions. Some other musicians on the board are rawin, Jeremy (Stepped on a Syringe), and even myself on occasion. Smiler Always glad to welcome more talent! I can tell from the musical thread that you have a knack for writing as well!

Welcome to the Stix, yo!

quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Crispy Benjamin Franklin:

quote:

Good to have you with us, Jaraad! I can see that the others answered most of your questions. Some other musicians on the board are rawin, Jeremy (Stepped on a Syringe), and even myself on occasion. Smiler Always glad to welcome more talent! I can tell from the musical thread that you have a knack for writing as well!

Welcome to the Stix, yo!

Hi Jaraad! Big Grin I'm Stephan, pronounced like Steven. I'm new too.

I saw Crispy Ben play a didgeridoo once! Big Grin

Jaraad, for female singers I'd recommend Ani DiFranco, Emiliana Torrini, Amanda Palmer / The Dresden Dolls, Jenny Owen Youngs, Jesca Hoop, Mirah, The Ditty Bops, Joanna Newsom, Melanie Horsnell, Rasputina, Tegan & Sara, and Lindsay Mac...

I'm somewhat picky when it comes to guy singers, but some that I really enjoy (with album and/or song suggestions) are Harry Nilsson (albums: Harry, and The Point!), Jason Mraz (album: Waiting For My Rocket to Come), Jonathan Coulton (song: "Skullcrusher Mountain"), Rocky Votolato (album: Makers), Smog (album: A River Ain't Too Much to Love), Sondre Lerche (album: Phantom Punch, song w/ Regina: "Hell No"), Sufjan Stevens (album: Illinois)...

I'm an aspiring singer songwriter... (You can listen to me if you click the link below my name.) That's awesome that you've written a couple of songs! I wish I'd gotten started that early, but I was busy playing/singing things other people had written. Oh well!

quote:
Originally posted by peterquint:

I saw Crispy Ben play a didgeridoo once! Big Grin

Haha! I couldn't play it very well that day though... I think it was either that it was a different digeridoo than I was used to, or that I was really nervous about playing in front of that whole class.. Smiler Probably a little bit of both.

By the way, my friend and I play guitars and sing out by the EMU quite often. You should stop by and say hey sometime. I'm not sure what days we'll be playing this term, but I'll tell you when we figure it out...

Hello Smiler I'm your average newbie wanting to introduce herself, and i guess this is the place to do it?

The facts:

Female, 18 years old, Midwest American.

Proud band geek. Very shy.

Favorite Reggie song: "Us."

Pastimes: Music, drawing, correct spelling, faking accents, reading, old movies.

I hope I'll end up being a long-term member here, and get to know some fellow Respektors...Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Butterfly Peddler:

Hello Smiler I'm your average newbie wanting to introduce herself, and i guess this is the place to do it?

The facts:

Pastimes: Music, drawing, correct spelling, faking accents, reading, old movies.

I hope I'll end up being a long-term member here, and get to know some fellow Respektors...Big Grin

Hey!!! Welcome!! The stix is awesome, believe me.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl Prejekterinski:

quote:
Pastimes: faking accents.

You just scored a bazillion cool points.

Welcome to brumstix!

i was gonna say that:P

Welcome to the stix! Enjoy your stay.

quote:
Hello I'm your average newbie wanting to introduce herself, and i guess this is the place to do it?

The facts:

I hope I'll end up being a long-term member here, and get to know some fellow Respektors...

Welcome, welcome, welcome!