Sign in to follow this  
Reginaoverdose

The Dove Company: campaigning for real beauty

60 replies in 24 hours!

Ow, owwww! Hot thread!

Also, I know some of the people that worked on the Campaign for Real Beauty.

To the point of the fact that the parent company is Unilever, just remember that this is advertising, plain and simple. There's a money making agenda, always. In the case of those that were lucky enough to work on this campaign, they got to feel especially good about their work when they went home a night. Let me tell you, it's always a privilege to work on non-profit, pro-bono, and social program type projects.

The Dove campaign sent a genuine & good message. It spawned some really useful social initiatives, and fueled LOTS of talk and debate worldwide on the issue (or non-issue as some see it). Regardless of one's opinion, that's incredible. Some see it as a great dialogue on a societal problem, others see it as excellent brand presence and priceless impressions on consumers... and yes, Unilever makes money.

Here's a question though.

If a serial killer pushes you out of the way of a moving train, would you resent him for it? I doubt it. Knowing that he's a serial killer sure would mess with your mind later though...

Anywho, what I'm saying is that the source shouldn't matter when the message is so true. If someone is an asshole, but then helps an old lady cross the street, they did a good thing. This campaign was a good thing, and we need more like it.

Didn't Paul say something in the Bible about teachers and prophets who are only in it for the money? (not to be mistaken with when he was talking about false prophets).

Then he said, but at least the good word is being preached, and in that he rejoiced in that. Something something. Etc. Whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by rawin:

Didn't Paul say something in the Bible about teachers and prophets who are only in it for the money?

I don't recall someone named Paul contributing an entry to the Brümstix Letter Book Gift.

Or were you referring to something else similar to that one, true bible?

Wow.

I saw this thread earlier when it was just posted and didn't have the time to respond, or know what to say.

Perks and JC pretty much took the words right out of my mouth though. It's a great message, even if dove is an unethical mega corp thing and only in it for the money.

It seems the stix has been bustling these days, and the amount of catching needed up after just one day spent away from the monitor is pretty much blowing my mind.

quote:
I don't recall someone named Paul contributing an entry to the Brümstix Letter Book Gift.

Or were you referring to something else similar to that one, true bible?

Oops, you're right! Sorry! I shoulda have made the distinction... I was referring to the the Christian Bible, not the real one that we gave to Reg.