Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

Open Letter

An open letter to my friends on the Brumstix.

I’ve been around here for a while now and have seen people come and go. I have made some really great friends and always looked forward to being here. The intelligent people, threads and discussions about reg and other topics always warmed my heart.

But rather suddenly things have changed. There seem to be cliques developing. The bombardment with massive quantities of spam is now not only common place but encouraged. Personal drama and irrelevant topics fill threads. Inside jokes prevail. The feeding of trolls is okay as long as you’re making fun of them or cursing them out or debating them.

This past week I have found myself getting upset, writing tirades, and then deleting them time and time again without posting. It’s just not fun for me anymore and I find the timing unbelievably ironic given the events I shared with many of you over the past few months culminating in the handing over of the book to reg. It was a day I will always cherish. I find myself saying, I sure hope reg isn’t looking at us right now. I don’t think she’d like what she sees.

I’m no saint. I like to have fun. But this is different. Regardless of what you may think of me, the stix ain’t right, right now. So I’m going to take a break. Some of you will be thrilled. Others will get what I’m saying. It is what it is. But for my own sake I bid you all a pleasant goodbye for now and hope things return to normal soon.

Yours in reg,

G

An open letter to my friends on the Brumstix.

I’ve been around here for a while now and have seen people come and go. I have made some really great friends and always looked forward to being here. The intelligent people, threads and discussions about reg and other topics always warmed my heart.

But rather suddenly things have changed. There seem to be cliques developing. The bombardment with massive quantities of spam is now not only common place but encouraged. Personal drama and irrelevant topics fill threads. Inside jokes prevail. The feeding of trolls is okay as long as you’re making fun of them or cursing them out or debating them.

This past week I have found myself getting upset, writing tirades, and then deleting them time and time again without posting. It’s just not fun for me anymore and I find the timing unbelievably ironic given the events I shared with many of you over the past few months culminating in the handing over of the book to reg. It was a day I will always cherish. I find myself saying, I sure hope reg isn’t looking at us right now. I don’t think she’d like what she sees.

I’m no saint. I like to have fun. But this is different. Regardless of what you may think of me, the stix ain’t right, right now. So I’m going to take a break. Some of you will be thrilled. Others will get what I’m saying. It is what it is. But for my own sake I bid you all a pleasant goodbye for now and hope things return to normal soon.

Yours in reg,

G

Things have been different around here. The general atmosphere seems much more negative and exclusive then when I joined a year ago.

But, G, I fear that without someone combating it like you have been, it's just gonna get worse.

Point is, the stix might never be the same if you go...

I wasn't going to say anything because I've never felt active in the community enough to make judgements, but lately I have been feeling especially out of the loop.

I feel like because there are multiple threads dedicated to inside jokes, it only adds to the...I don't know, "I'm in the group, and you're not" factor.

And it is very strange, because 3 weeks ago we were as united as ever...and then the iheartregina thing happened, and members started being publicly alienated, and...yeah. ):

It definitely has to do with the chatroom.

Also, I don't think G has to be the one to combat anything...or even one person, I think it needs to be a group effort, everyone needs to make a united decision to better our community and the problem will be solved.

I definitely think the chat room has contributed a great deal of the cliques that have developed and I'll be just as quick to take some of the (a great deal lately) of feeding the troll('s) and apologize. I'll definitely try to keep it at a minimum (if at all) from now on. Sorry G. :/

I know what you mean. A lot of it is my fault. I've been contributing a lot to the spam and feeding the trolls. I never meant nor thought it would come to this and I can understand what you mean. People have been complaining that they feel out of the loop for a wee while now and I tihnk 1953 is right in that it has to do with the chatroom, something I've been quite active in. I'm really really sorry to all the stixers and especially George for the negativity that I helped create and I'm going to stop doing it now. Sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by 1953:

I don't think G has to be the one to combat anything...or even one person, I think it needs to be a group effort, everyone needs to make a united decision to better our community and the problem will be solved.

That's a good point. I didn't mean to imply that it was his responsibility. He just has a lot of clout around here, and frankly, I'm gonna miss his insightful and well thought-out posts if he leaves...

This has made me really sad.

Deep down I was really hoping that it wouldn't resort to this but I guess I knew it was enebitable.

*deep breath*

I can say, from having been there, that the spam and resulting general confusion in the 'stix is a result of the chatroom. Much of the fast paced conversations and kidding around in the chat has spilled over into the 'stix. The first time it happened we all thought it was fun but then it got way out of control. Way out of control.

But I will say this for the ones who got carried away; they did make an honest effort for damage control. They went in and deleted a vast majority of spam and have cleaned up a considerable amount. I am very proud of them for that. I do realize that there is still some residuals left lying around and they will probally never be fully swept under the carpet, but they will serve to remind us that the 'stix is a shared responsiblity.

The chat is a really cool place to hangout and talk with fellow stixers in a more relaxed environment. But like I've said in chat, the chatroom is casual, tanktop and shorts, but the 'stix is more business causual. We have to remember that what we post can be seen by everyone.

George, I'm really sorry that you felt you needed to take a break from the 'stix. I would never want anyone to feel like that. The 'stix is a special place because of the people in it. I'm truly lucky to be a part brumstix.

When you're ready to come back george, you already know you're welcome. Smiler

I'm not fussing at anyone by no means, I'm just explaining what has been going on the last few days. The 'stix hasn't changed, it's just hit a rough patch. We are together in the reason that brought us all here in the first place, no one has forgotten that. We all love the 'stix.

So that has been sufficiently long and awkward and I'm gonna end it now.

Smiler

i've been phasing out for a while, slowly not posting as much. it just became so hard to understand what people are talking about because its so hard to sift through the shit to get to the real news and fun stuff and nice comments and all that. i think i'm gunna take a break too, busy time in my life and i just don't have the time to be in the chat room to get all the jokes and read all the spill over.

see ya later stix

I've been slowly checking the stix less and less as well. There's less news and intelligent discussion and more inside jokes and cliques. I have faith in everyone that we can sort this out, I generally think stix people are good people. No relationship is perfect without a little work.