RJLupin2

Would you pay to get Regina to do a show for us?

Hi everyone!

I've been registered here for a long time & I must admit that I lurk around quite frequently, though I rarely, if ever, post anything. This opportunity, however, is too good to pass up!

I've already responded to the poll that I would be willing/able to pay $101-$250 to see this type of benefit show & I would like to bring with me definitely 1 and possibly 2 friends (who would also pay in that range), but who are not members of Brumstix.

I live in the area & I would be able to help out in any way that is needed. I do have some experience in event planning.

Many thanks to Raphael & Bill for coming up with the idea & for having the connections & kindness to (hopefully) bring this to fruition!

dalite

quote:
Originally posted by jesse:

the idea sounds good but also kind of bothers me because of the space limitations. people who post here will be "considered first."

considered by whom? if this is a group of people who are going to be chosen to receive seats (VERY similar to people being chosen to receive songs) then that sucks. the few lucky people feel happy and everyone else is very hurt and very bitter.

also, i am broke, so a confirmation ASAP as to whether or not this is for rich-stixers-only would be appreciated.

read and comprehend before responding. thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by jesse:

the idea sounds good but also kind of bothers me because of the space limitations. people who post here will be "considered first."

considered by whom? if this is a group of people who are going to be chosen to receive seats (VERY similar to people being chosen to receive songs) then that sucks. the few lucky people feel happy and everyone else is very hurt and very bitter.

also, i am broke, so a confirmation ASAP as to whether or not this is for rich-stixers-only would be appreciated.

This would be first come first serve and every effort will be made so that even those without dough can attend (volunteer etc) if enough other stixers can chip in. Right now it looks like that will be a good possibility for a few folks here who may not have enough for a spot.

I did explain this earlier in this thread. It really all depends on Ms. Spektor's management though and Regina herself if she is cool with this whole approach.

quote:
Originally posted by dalite:

Hi everyone!

I've been registered here for a long time & I must admit that I lurk around quite frequently, though I rarely, if ever, post anything. This opportunity, however, is too good to pass up!

I've already responded to the poll that I would be willing/able to pay $101-$250 to see this type of benefit show & I would like to bring with me definitely 1 and possibly 2 friends (who would also pay in that range), but who are not members of Brumstix.

I live in the area & I would be able to help out in any way that is needed. I do have some experience in event planning.

Many thanks to Raphael & Bill for coming up with the idea & for having the connections & kindness to (hopefully) bring this to fruition!

dalite

Thanks Dalite

Right now if everyone who voted brought 3 friends the seats would be almost filled and if everyone could chip in what they said they could then we MIGHT have enough to make the proposal look attractive to Regina and her management.

My own background in this area is mostly in organizing art and theater and music events (nonprofit but having to raise money to make them happen) as an actor and writer and musician who lived and played in NYC a lot off and on. For me the East Village played a really big role in shaping my cultural awareness and life and knowledge and music. There is really no place like it on the planet.

I also have a fe friends (including the venue owner) who live and work in that neighborhood including the granddaughter of surrealist artist Marc Chagall (he was a friend of my dad's). When I read that Regina's videos in part use Chagall and a few other surrealists for ideas I understood now why I kind of think of Regina's lyrics and vocalizing as reminiscent of a magical surreal aural Chagall tableaux for the heart and the ears.

Raphael told me she does not like to be compared to anyone but as an artiste I cannot help but think of their surreal and beautiful magical artistry as being similar (and I plan to invite Chagall's granddaughter, who is an artist in the Village to the show). She is the only granddaughter of Chagall whose mother escaped the nazis in France, so I know she will love regina's music and lyricism.

That is part of the reason i wanted to do this. Thanks for offering to help. We will probably need it.

you got your own account!!!!!! now i can officially say...welcome to the stix. Smiler

kurt and i did stage crew for quite some time for a small local band. if that is needed, we'd be more than happy to help.

also...when i said that i was in, i meant i as in we (kurt and i). this will obviously depend on the day of the week as Kurt and I will both be in school this coming semester.

i can't help but think how cool this would be. i'm trying to not get my hopes up though.

This is a great idea! Thank you guys for trying to put something like this together. Smiler

I probably wouldn't be able to attend a show like this if it happened this year though. Next year would be more ideal..

If I were to be able to make it, I'd be willing to put in $101-$250.

I so hope this will happen... =) don't forget about me just because I'm new on the stix!! :o I'm a bit afraid I won't be included... but I did post my name earlier. And I think you guys are so cool. I have a feeling it wont turn elitist this time.

And Bill. Thank you so much for the effort! I'm also trying not to bring my hopes up, but I can't help it. If this wont happen I'm still very very grateful to you. Thanks. =)

quote:
Originally posted by SugarDrive:

you got your own account!!!!!! now i can officially say...welcome to the stix. Smiler

kurt and i did stage crew for quite some time for a small local band. if that is needed, we'd be more than happy to help.

also...when i said that i was in, i meant i as in we (kurt and i). this will obviously depend on the day of the week as Kurt and I will both be in school this coming semester.

i can't help but think how cool this would be. i'm trying to not get my hopes up though.

Thanks for the welcome.

Hope this can happen.

I will probably post my own intro to Regina (my daughter Maia who's now a college radio station DJ) on one of the stories threads.

I was a radio DJ in college community run station for years (as was Maia's mom) so "On the Radio" was really one of the first songs that made me laugh because I used to do the all night shift and would fall asleep sometimes.

Me and maia bonded on Regina a lot closer listening to her when she was doing her driving lessons and I was teaching her (or trying to) to drive a stick shift. And the line about eating only boxes of tangerines or smoking certain kinds of cigarettes and then her boyfriend od'ing (twice) really hooked me.

Since I had lived near Union Square in NYC and worked as an actor near there and spent a lot of time in the east village (all over really) her images were so authenticate: her colors remind me of the Korean groceries with flowers and fruits galore and the pleasant hyperactive rainbow chaos of downtown NYC around Greenwich Village;all the characters and the fun and vitality...

She is a truly lovely talent...

quote:
Originally posted by sweetness in my lungs:

I so hope this will happen... =) don't forget about me just because I'm new on the stix!! :o I'm a bit afraid I won't be included... but I did post my name earlier. And I think you guys are so cool. I have a feeling it wont turn elitist this time.

And Bill. Thank you so much for the effort! I'm also trying not to bring my hopes up, but I can't help it. If this wont happen I'm still very very grateful to you. Thanks. =)

Thanks back. You all will not be forgotten.

The way i think about it all is that it is worth TRYING to do even if it does not appeal to Regina - at least i tried.My son Raphael tends to be sort of a dreamer and he comes up with these ideas and I may be sharing too much when I say he is homeschooled and taught himself to read Russian and is now teaching himself to play the violin because of Regina's influence.

As I mentioned above my father was friends with Marc Chagall who was a eastern european/Russian artist (it gets kind of murky as the area he is from changed hands a lot) who fled the pograms and ended up for a time in NYC where he painted the incredible murals on music at Lincoln center and the Metropolitan Opera house. My dad helped him escape the nazis who would have sent him to Auschwitz if he had not escaped probably. Anyway, Miss Spektor's music gives me the same feelings as looking at some of Chagall's paintings and stained glass: sheer joy and exuberance but also humor and sadness and anger at times. And crazy/beautiful imagery!

So I had to at least try to make this happen. For my kids. And you guys who are so warm to each other (most of the time)