Sign in to follow this  
Beechcraft Bonanza

A crime on my mind lately

No, I'm not planning criminal activity.

Lately, I just have something on my mind a lot, something I feel completely powerless about, something no one in the world really pays attention too safe some foolish Christians who think they can solve the problem by praying... well when has that ever solved anything beyond personal feelings of despair and anguish?

If prayer didn't stop Madonna from hanging from a crucifix... why should it stop a dictator and his cadre of suck-ups from abusing their people?

I'm talking about North-Korea...

true, there's lots of terrible things going on the world today, but North-Korea, that's a crime against humanity of great magnitude that's allready lasted for decades... I'm not talking about rockets and missiles here. That subject is actually quite irrelevant.

It's the leadership of that country. That terrible, derranged, narscisist and his council of sycophants who opress, lock up, torture, starve and murder their own people. Their people who are forced into a system of absolute faith in the sadists that torture and opress them. malnourished, silenced, homeless, imprissoned if not physical, then psychologically...

I just have to get this off my chest... It's terrible and there's nothing the free world can actually do about it... or can the world act but rather wouldn't for those damned economic reasons, because of China, because of Russia, supporting the last remaining rape and abuse of marxist theory, the last, true dictatorial regime in the world...

It sickens me...

No, I'm not planning criminal activity.

Lately, I just have something on my mind a lot, something I feel completely powerless about, something no one in the world really pays attention too safe some foolish Christians who think they can solve the problem by praying... well when has that ever solved anything beyond personal feelings of despair and anguish?

If prayer didn't stop Madonna from hanging from a crucifix... why should it stop a dictator and his cadre of suck-ups from abusing their people?

I'm talking about North-Korea...

true, there's lots of terrible things going on the world today, but North-Korea, that's a crime against humanity of great magnitude that's allready lasted for decades... I'm not talking about rockets and missiles here. That subject is actually quite irrelevant.

It's the leadership of that country. That terrible, derranged, narscisist and his council of sycophants who opress, lock up, torture, starve and murder their own people. Their people who are forced into a system of absolute faith in the sadists that torture and opress them. malnourished, silenced, homeless, imprissoned if not physical, then psychologically...

I just have to get this off my chest... It's terrible and there's nothing the free world can actually do about it... or can the world act but rather wouldn't for those damned economic reasons, because of China, because of Russia, supporting the last remaining rape and abuse of marxist theory, the last, true dictatorial regime in the world...

It sickens me...

I have a number of friends in South Korea and it's a painful subject for them as well. When you see a Korean make a "peace sign" in a photo, it is not a peace sign. It is a "V" for victory over the Japanese occupation. After the long Japanese occupation, and now separation from families in the North, their culture has sadness woven throughout it. For example, when they hear birds, they hear the birds "crying" where as we would consider it singing. Even the spelling of KOREA is supposed to be COREA - but Japan changed it during their occupation so that JAPAN would always come first in the international alphabet... Koreans have been marginalized for a century in this way.

You may be interested in the VICE Guide to North Korea. They've documented their trip there, and you can WATCH IT HERE in 14 parts, for free.

A BRIEF NOTE FROM SHANE SMITH ON THE BYZANTINE NORTH KOREAN VISA PROCESS

Getting into North Korea was one of the hardest and weirdest processes VBS has ever dealt with. After we went back and forth with their representatives for months, they finally said they were going to allow 16 journalists into the country to cover the Arirang Mass Games in Pyongyang. Then, ten days before we were supposed to go, they said, “No, nobody can come.” Then they said, “OK, OK, you can come. But only as tourists.” We had no idea what that was supposed to mean. They already knew we were journalists, and over there if you get caught being a journalist when you’re supposed to be a tourist you go to jail. We don’t like jail. And we’re willing to bet we’d hate jail in North Korea.

But we went for it. The first leg of the trip was a flight into northern China. At the airport the North Korean consulate took our passports and all of our money, then brought us to a restaurant. We were sitting there with our tour group, and suddenly all the other diners left and these women came out and started singing North Korean nationalist songs. We were thinking, “Look, we were just on a plane for 20 hours. We’re jet-lagged. Can we just go to bed?” but this guy with our group who was from the LA Times told us, “Everyone in here besides us is secret police. If you don’t act excited then you’re not going to get your visa.” So we got drunk and jumped up onstage and sang songs with the girls. The next day we got our visas. A lot of people we had gone with didn’t get theirs. That was our first hint at just what a freaky, freaky trip we were embarking on...