Sign in to follow this  
TheQuickestBoyInTheFryingPan

Tori fan trying to get into Regina....

So, as a long time fan of the true piano goddess (Tori Amos), I've been trying to get into Ms. Spektor for the past few weeks. I must say, listening to Regina was fueled by a nasty spat with someone on toriphorums who is a huge fan of Regina. I made some derrogatory remarks regarding Regina not liking being compared to Tori. It got silly and I decided that I was wrong to write off an artist so I decided I'd try and give her a shot.

I don't want to get bashed on here since I'm also not in the habit of bashing other fans - whoever their musician(s) of choice may be - but I've been a bit bothered, as I've tried getting into Regina's music, by her comments regarding Tori and a lot of her fans' disrespect for Tori (remember, us Tori fans went through similar comparison dramas between Tori and Kate Bush, but at least Tori admits that Kate paved the way, considers it an honor to be compared to her and has even covered some of Kate's songs on tour - specifically Running Up That Hill on the Fender Rhodes and Sleep Like Sheep). I just don't see why it's such a big thing for her to be compared to Tori.

I'm sorry to say, but just like Kate Bush paved the way for Tori and Bjork (and a mess load of other female artists), Tori definitely paved the way for gals like Regina and Charlotte Martin, etc. She was the first female in A LOOOOOOOOONG time to write a piano-based album (Nina Simone being someone else who did that). Since, she's gone on to experiment and master almost every and any kind of keyboard instrument (Piano, Harpsichord, Clavichord, Organ, Numerous keyboards, etc.).

I only mention the above because it's really hard getting into an artist when her fans and she herself have such disrespect for Tori.

What I find funny however is that, although I do like a good amount of Regina's work (it's growing on me), and other current female pianists, their music (just what I've heard) for the most part sounds dated. It's like cliche piano playing. I mean, I love them (reminds me of songs like Mr. Zebra and Leather by Tori - very cabaret), but I don't hear anything innovative being done with this instrument. Tori actually sounds a lot more modern than most of the girls that have come after her.

Check out my favorite Tori albums: Boys For Pele (her first self-produced album; she worked with over 75 musicians; the first time she tinkled with the harpsichord; etc. A landmark album and one that makes even Courtney Love seem like a crybaby. From The Choirgirl Hotel (this is Tori's first forray into electronica, keyboards, a band, etc.) Again, I mention this because I'd rather broaden minds than have stupid little spats about who is better (in my opinion Tori will always be better - but that's OPINION - not fact).

The reason I dig Tori is because she was one of the first ones to take you into a whole other world with her songs. They aren't just about break-ups or shitty childhoods or the hard knocks of life (trust me, though, she has plenty of those - lol). She forces you to think. Tori always says that she thinks the most boring thing is telling an audience what to think and feel. "Why would they want to hear about my break up over and over and over again? And pay for it nonetheless! Ha!" That's her take on things, so instead she guises her stories and her experiences in layers of quirky lyrics and wonderful imagery.

Most of all, she rocks the piano like no one else. And I mean NO ONE ELSE. She can make a whole stadium fucking vibrate with how she plays. As she's said, she always wanted to learn the guitar, but couldn't (she ended up smashing it against a wall) so her piano playing is influenced by Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Classics, etc. etc.

Again, I'm hoping by posting this I'll get you guys somewhat excited and I'm also hoping of generating some suggestions as to what to listen to of Regina's. I definitely don't want to write her off and hope I find my own little niche in her community.

Below is Tori at 27 and I think you'll see what I mean (she's grown up ALOT since then, though):

http://www.spinner.com/2008/09/17/tori-amos-precious-th...treux-video-premier/

So, as a long time fan of the true piano goddess (Tori Amos), I've been trying to get into Ms. Spektor for the past few weeks. I must say, listening to Regina was fueled by a nasty spat with someone on toriphorums who is a huge fan of Regina. I made some derrogatory remarks regarding Regina not liking being compared to Tori. It got silly and I decided that I was wrong to write off an artist so I decided I'd try and give her a shot.

I don't want to get bashed on here since I'm also not in the habit of bashing other fans - whoever their musician(s) of choice may be - but I've been a bit bothered, as I've tried getting into Regina's music, by her comments regarding Tori and a lot of her fans' disrespect for Tori (remember, us Tori fans went through similar comparison dramas between Tori and Kate Bush, but at least Tori admits that Kate paved the way, considers it an honor to be compared to her and has even covered some of Kate's songs on tour - specifically Running Up That Hill on the Fender Rhodes and Sleep Like Sheep). I just don't see why it's such a big thing for her to be compared to Tori.

I'm sorry to say, but just like Kate Bush paved the way for Tori and Bjork (and a mess load of other female artists), Tori definitely paved the way for gals like Regina and Charlotte Martin, etc. She was the first female in A LOOOOOOOOONG time to write a piano-based album (Nina Simone being someone else who did that). Since, she's gone on to experiment and master almost every and any kind of keyboard instrument (Piano, Harpsichord, Clavichord, Organ, Numerous keyboards, etc.).

I only mention the above because it's really hard getting into an artist when her fans and she herself have such disrespect for Tori.

What I find funny however is that, although I do like a good amount of Regina's work (it's growing on me), and other current female pianists, their music (just what I've heard) for the most part sounds dated. It's like cliche piano playing. I mean, I love them (reminds me of songs like Mr. Zebra and Leather by Tori - very cabaret), but I don't hear anything innovative being done with this instrument. Tori actually sounds a lot more modern than most of the girls that have come after her.

Check out my favorite Tori albums: Boys For Pele (her first self-produced album; she worked with over 75 musicians; the first time she tinkled with the harpsichord; etc. A landmark album and one that makes even Courtney Love seem like a crybaby. From The Choirgirl Hotel (this is Tori's first forray into electronica, keyboards, a band, etc.) Again, I mention this because I'd rather broaden minds than have stupid little spats about who is better (in my opinion Tori will always be better - but that's OPINION - not fact).

The reason I dig Tori is because she was one of the first ones to take you into a whole other world with her songs. They aren't just about break-ups or shitty childhoods or the hard knocks of life (trust me, though, she has plenty of those - lol). She forces you to think. Tori always says that she thinks the most boring thing is telling an audience what to think and feel. "Why would they want to hear about my break up over and over and over again? And pay for it nonetheless! Ha!" That's her take on things, so instead she guises her stories and her experiences in layers of quirky lyrics and wonderful imagery.

Most of all, she rocks the piano like no one else. And I mean NO ONE ELSE. She can make a whole stadium fucking vibrate with how she plays. As she's said, she always wanted to learn the guitar, but couldn't (she ended up smashing it against a wall) so her piano playing is influenced by Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Classics, etc. etc.

Again, I'm hoping by posting this I'll get you guys somewhat excited and I'm also hoping of generating some suggestions as to what to listen to of Regina's. I definitely don't want to write her off and hope I find my own little niche in her community.

Below is Tori at 27 and I think you'll see what I mean (she's grown up ALOT since then, though):

http://www.spinner.com/2008/09/17/tori-amos-precious-th...treux-video-premier/

Okay Eats Beats. You and I definitely have to Tango now. LoL. I love it, seriously, that we're both trying to get into each other's artists coincidentally (can lead to so much discovery).

I'm Alex, 27 in South Florida. You?

You have AIM? Mine is RedLittleBaron. Hit me up or reply on here cause I would definitely love to hear some more of your suggestions and maybe you'd find something from some of mine. Let me know...

(Also, what's your "flavor" - moody, ambiance, angry, sad, cabaret - in terms of the whole piano thing?)

Alex

I have to get used to this forum - it's very quick. LoL. Um...I downloaded Braille, The Flowers, The Buildings, Ode To Divorce, Fidelity and Somedays.

They're good. So far I like The Flowers and Braille.

In terms of the comparisons - I both agree and disagree. The reason people make such a big deal is because the piano IS an odd choice for a major artists. EVERYBODY wants and understands a guitarist. But it's very special to work a piano because it's not traditionally considered a "rockin'" instrument.

ASL? LOL. Yeah. I figure you have to know *something* about me. :P

Alex

Wonderful. I have two songs that are absolutely perfect for you (very broadway; very cabaret). Please listen to them and tell me what you think.

Mr Zebra: http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/748466_57ai6/ToriAmos-Mr.Zebra.mp3

Leather: http://spasm.cjb.net/common/Music/Tori Amos - Leather.mp3

The first song Mr Zebra is from Tori's angriest, most inaccessible and best album (Boys For Pele). The second one is from her first album, Little Earthquakes. These are direct links. You can either just open and listen or download the songs. ENJOY! And suggest some to me that you think may be of similar styles.

Alex

No, it's my fault. Here's the proper link:

It's the seventh "Leather" on the list. The rest are just live versions and stuff. But the seventh one is the album version.

http://search.playlist.com/tracks/leather%20tori#

I also love this broadway/cabaret style.

You can also go to this link and click on the play button on the upper right hand corner:

http://www.playlist.com/results.php?site=http%3A%2F%2Fs...520-%2520Leather.mp3

By the way, what did you think of Mr. Zebra? Did you listen to it?

Alex

Tori's voice - hmm - it wavers. There are times where she's just pure OPERA. I mean the woman can crack a glass. And then there's her Robert Plant growls and everything else in between. LoL. Try this one, it's from her last album, again only a minute and a half long and keeping with the cabaret-ish theme.

http://home.comcast.net/~mystyglass/19-tori_amos-velvet_revolution.mp3

The other ones I'm going to search on playlist.com That's where I've been sending you the links from.

I'm trying to find the album version, I'm only getting live versions of the songs you suggested. So far I like Music box though from what I've heard.

I like her voice - but it's more Bjork to me than Tori. Tori is very very very Kate Bush.

UPDATE: I'm also liking Consequences of Sounds...

By the way, the lyrics to Mr Zebra are:

Hello Mr. Zebra

Can I have your sweater

Cause it's cold cold cold

In my hole hole hole

Ratatouille Strychnine

Sometimes she's a friend of mine

With a gigantic whirlpool

That will blow your mind

Hello Mr. Zebra

Ran into some confusion

With a Mrs. Crocodile-dile-dile

Furry muscles marching on

She thinks she's Kaiser Wilhelm

Or a civilized syllabub

To blow your mind

Figure it out

She- She's a goodtime fella

She got a little fund to fight for Moneypenny's rights

Figure it out

She- She's a goodtime fella

Too bad the burial was premature

She said and smiled

The song is from her "break-up" album. LoL. Well, it's the album she came into her own as a musician and a woman. The song is about a real jerk her hurt her...

Alex

Alex