andreseng

reg in the news

quote:
Originally posted by Bartender:

CBS told No Age that allowing Randy to wear the shirt violated the Fairness Doctrine. It's strange then that Regina Spektor displayed her Obama Belt during her performance with Ben Folds on Conan...

CBS is either full of cah-cah or someone, shamefully, is not up on things. The FCC withdrew that doctrine years ago.

quote:
The Fairness Doctrine was a policy of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was (in the FCC's view) honest, equitable, and balanced. The United States Supreme Court has upheld the Commission's general right to enforce such a policy where channels are limited, but the courts have generally not considered that the FCC is obliged to do so. The FCC has since withdrawn the Fairness Doctrine, prompting some to urge its reintroduction through either Commission policy or Congressional legislation.

In August 1987, the FCC abolished the doctrine by a 4-0 vote, in the Syracuse Peace Council decision, which was upheld by the Appeals Court for the D.C. Circuit in February 1989. The FCC stated, "the intrusion by government into the content of programming occasioned by the enforcement of [the Fairness Doctrine] restricts the journalistic freedom of broadcasters ... [and] actually inhibits the presentation of controversial issues of public importance to the detriment of the public and the degradation of the editorial prerogative of broadcast journalists," and suggested that, due to the many media voices in the marketplace, the doctrine be deemed unconstitutional.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

Still, the tracks on Spektor’s latest album, Begin to Hope, come awfully close to paralleling the emotional roller-coaster ride she took after a particularly grueling breakup a couple years ago.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/2007-11-08/music/hope-and-glory/

hmm, yeah...

I just think she's so strange about driving the point home that her songs are never about her...which has to be kind of false...you can't produce something that is not at least 1% you...

I always thought Samson was about MORE than just Samson and Delilah - come on!

I hear a broken-hearted Regina in that song...

that's why it makes me tear up so much! I hear and feel her REAL emotion.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

"Still, the tracks on Spektor’s latest album, Begin to Hope, come awfully close to paralleling the emotional roller-coaster ride she took after a particularly grueling breakup a couple years ago. "

http://www.nashvillescene.com/2007-11-08/music/hope-and-glory/

Of course, they didn't bother to find out that the entire album was comprised of songs that were between two and seven years old....

It's a strange feeling one gets, after reading so many reviews on Reg's music over the years, and then realising that a very sparse few of them were satisfying to read.

I wouldn't exactly call it news but regina was mentioned on BBC Radio 1 Sat 4th October at approx 4pm. It is the first time I have ever heard here name mentioned on the radio in the UK, they did a New Music Generator and Lykke Le popped out, somebody called in to recommened regina and I smiled.

The presenter Fearne Cotton said she loved regina. The only other time I have ever seen her on TV was on a Hits programme which was a good few months ago. Smiler