Sign in to follow this  
UnicyclePoet

Profanity/Vulgarity

did anyone else know that FUCK is an anacromism for fornication under consent of the king? i had no clue until recently. i find curse words interesting. how they come about and how they are used. my french friend heard me use the word "shit fucker" after cuting the shit outta my hand when cooking and it was so cute she said in a delightful french accent "oh, i did not know you could put zem togezair like zat!" and it opened up a whole new vulgar world out there for her. lol

This article gave a good explanation of the word 'fuck'. Although its germanic meaning of the word is slightly different than what my english professor said it was, which is to 'plant a seed into the ground'.

Damn, Leaves beat me to debunking the "Fuck" origin myth.

Not an acronym.

We're reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn out loud in class. Normally the teacher reads, and she doesn't censor anything, except I've noticed that she skips it if it will still make sense. (Ex. "The -nword- woman" can be "the woman" but just "the -nword-" is not censored.)

Anyway, today she had us read it aloud. It was kind of interesting to note who skipped over it or said something else and who didn't.

We had a discussion before beginning the book about censorship and everyone agreed that the book should still be taught and not re-written, but some people just aren't comfortable saying it aloud. Especially in school, I think.