Sign in to follow this  
UnicyclePoet

Profanity/Vulgarity

Today someone who didn't know me casually used the phrase "I got jewed out of..." blah blah.

I kind of snickered and looked at the mutual friends who know me, but they didn't catch it.

I realize it's not cool and I should be more offended, but it's not exactly shocking.

'Sides, he was apparently high on oxys. Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by the monster in your closet:

'Sides, he was apparently high on oxys. Roll Eyes

I don't think being high on oxy is likely to have affected his word choice too much. He just sounds like a bit of an ass.

You're right, I've never thought of that!

I'm not going to say that any more.

I guess the reason I never noticed was because, in my mind, I spelled it like "Jypt", or something.

Mmm, swear words are tasty. I'm trying to cut down my swearing, but it's hard since everybody at school does that. And they really are tasty! The most common Finnish swear word is 'vittu', I think the English equivalent would be c**t. But you don't really use it as a swear word, do you? Vittu works a bit like 'fuck'. There are people who overuse it bad. "Vittu mä menin sinne ja se vitun ämmä teki vittu silleen ja..." That sounds horrible for me too, even though I don't consider swearing as a very bad thing. Vittu can also be modified to a verb or an adjective. If you are really pissed about something, you can say 'mua vituttaa', and a very annoying thing or person can be 'vittumainen'.

The swear words I like the most are 'perkele' and 'helvetti'. They feel good in the mouth and have a powerful feeling in them. Perkele refers to satan and helvetti to hell, so they're old words coming from christianity. But, as I said, I'm trying not to use them too much. It sounds silly and limited.

There's some language nerd stuff for you! Sorry. Big Grin But I do find this stuff extremely interesting. The cultural differences and all. It's fascinating.

Oh, and I'm very sorry if someone's now deeply offended by my inappropriate language. But swear words are important, they're part of the culture and their own mission in language. In my opinion, at least.