Sign in to follow this  
UnicyclePoet

Profanity/Vulgarity

whenever i watch movies that offer french subtitles, i put them on. i've noticed that (at least in the movies) there are far less french words that are vulgar or offensive. perks?

quote:
The most common Finnish swear word is 'vittu', I think the English equivalent would be c**t.

That's a handy bit of information.

I quite like bad words, and I like to think about where they come from and why they are in fact 'bad words'... Who says? and why?

I also like to make up new curse words, and I like to see people reactions. I generally just like to see people react to anything.

quote:
Originally posted by eshbach:

quote:
Originally posted by the monster in your closet:

'Sides, he was apparently high on oxys. Roll Eyes

I don't think being high on oxy is likely to have affected his word choice too much. He just sounds like a bit of an ass.

I was more implying that his being high on oxys meant he wouldn't be able to comprehend my telling him off. The reaction have probably been "Heh... you're JEWISH? Hah hah!" rather than "Oh, shit I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend."

I've never heard "jewed," but it reminds me of how people say "gypped." People use that word without thinking of how it's derogatory towards gypsies/gipsies/Roma. I talked about this with a couple gipsy acquaintances in Romania and they were pretty appalled to learn that we say that in America. So I guess "jewed" isn't much different.

Yeah, it's the same thing as gypped I've heard both. Except most people don't even realized gypped is short for gypsy. And even after you tell them about it, they don't really fully understand who the Roma are either. I'm guessing they both started out sometime in the late thirties-forties. For obvious reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by the monster in your closet:

I was more implying that his being high on oxys meant he wouldn't be able to comprehend my telling him off. The reaction have probably been "Heh... you're JEWISH? Hah hah!" rather than "Oh, shit I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend."

Unless he just blew 80mg the only real effects of opioids like Oxycodone are a warm/pleasant tingling in the arms and legs, a general feeling of relaxation and then "nodding" which is where you sort of fall asleep repeatedly for a few seconds at a time, often with short but interesting dreamy visions. When you shoot up (or insufflate a sufficiently large amount), then you get euphoria and maybe the kind of giddiness that other drugs often contain.

In general, I think he's likely to be nicer while on opiates than he would be normally. Hence my original thesis: he seems like an ass.

quote:
Originally posted by kandi:

whenever i watch movies that offer french subtitles, i put them on. i've noticed that (at least in the movies) there are far less french words that are vulgar or offensive. perks?

eh. i'm not sure about that one. i think there are just as many offensive words but the french just don't find them very offensive. just take merde for example. even little old french ladies say merde. personally i just don't know many swear words. Va te faire foutre is go fuck yourself. and i know foutre is like fuck but just not used for everything like we do. the word bordel in french is used a lot and it literally means whorehouse (bordello). but it's also used to mean like a meaner version of pig pen. like you walk into your friends house and there's clothes and food everywhere and you say "c'est un bordel ici!" but mothers will also say this to their kids...so this form isn't too bad. i wish i knew more swear words in french.... next year spring semester i will probably be full of them Smiler

cause i'll be in france bitches!