Sign in to follow this  
UnicyclePoet

Profanity/Vulgarity

I remember my French teacher telling us that "nique ta mere" is used in France when you want to talk in an offensive way. I'm not sure if I wrote it right of if I even remember right, though. Perks?

And yeah, our teacher do teach us swearwords if we ask them to. Not everyone, of course, but the younger and more relaxed ones might. Big Grin

quote:
Remember when you first read Lord of the Rings as a kid, and you laughed so hard in book six when Frodo calls Sam and ass?

Ah, memories.

Once upon a time, I helped a bunch of kids who were 11 years old and under put on A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Needless to say...there were SO many giggles throughout the process.

foreign language swears are my favourite kind!

the one with the weirdest translation that i've heard is the spanish swear: me cajo en la leche. Which means (I) shit in the milk. It is used to express dismay, kinda like oh shit, or dammit.

My current favourite just because it rolls off the tongue so nicely is the tagalog (language of the Philippines) swear that i don't know how to write cuz i don't know where the words start and end but sounds like: poo-tang-ee-na-mo. It loosely translates to your mother is a fucking bitch, and can be used similarly to fuck you.

The cruelest swear I know is (i think) cantonese, or maybe pinying: pokai. It is not used often because you only use it if you really mean it, and it means "go fall in the street and die."

Don't you love swearing in foreign languages?

Yes! I Do!

Shekket b'vaka sha!

Hebrew for "Shut your mouth" or "Shut up"

Also, not so much a swear but "y'la biet" (very rough transliteration) means "go home!"

Yiddish is also full of swears.

Also, the head-of-French-Department and teacher at my school who came here from France will teach you French swear words if you swear in his class. Example: Student- "Ah shit!"

Monsieur- "No! If you swear in my class you say it in FRENCH. The word is 'merde'!"

Sadly, I've not had him as a teacher. Which might be a good thing considering his history with my older brother. Roll Eyes

Haha, I really love how this topic/thread shaped up. Some one-time poster; complaining about swearing, and then the stix turning it into a thread to post and translate internationak swear words.

NiceSmiler

Love you all on the stix =P