Sign in to follow this  
UnicyclePoet

Profanity/Vulgarity

Okay what is the difference bewtween feces and shit???

Someone give me one reason!!

its a random rule that society made up that serves no purpose.

I do not cuss in school, when meeting new people, or when in an area when using manners or being polite is neccasary because if you cuss around the wrong people or use it a wrong setting it makes you sound like a redneck. Like if I ever meet or have a conversation with Regina I wont cuss for sure....well I mean I guess I would in a long conversation with her, because she cusses but in like a quick nice to meet you hand shake setting. There is no need to cuss....

Believe it or not, in High School I actually learned French swear words from the class material/books! Every chapter had this list of "informal language"...

Since that time I avoid "danku" (thank you in Dutch) while in France as it sounds the same as "Dans Cul" (in the ass)...

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

Like if I ever meet or have a conversation with Regina I wont cuss for sure....

I don't think I'd hold back on my language... I'd rather just be myself.

I don't tend to swear extraneously, but I also don't avoid it. I've never understood why "forbidden words" exist... Why put together a series of sounds only to assign it an unspeakable meaning? There are a few words I absolutely never use, but I don't hold back on most.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

Like if I ever meet or have a conversation with Regina I wont cuss for sure....

I don't think I'd hold back on my language... I'd rather just be myself.

I don't tend to swear extraneously, but I also don't avoid it. I've never understood why "forbidden words" exist... Why put together a series of sounds only to assign it an unspeakable meaning? There are a few words I absolutely never use, but I don't hold back on most.

Oh definately!!!! I would certainly be myself. Not cussing around her wouldn't change me being myself. I just wouldn't cuss, I don't see how that would effect my personality. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the first post I have made on my Google Phone/G1!

i agree with what Brady said: "I don't see how [not cussing] would effect my personality.". Specifically in the face of the statement, "asking people not to curse is asking them to be something they're not."

okay. cursing is not your religion, your race, your sexuality, your personality, your memories, hopes, dreams, or your values. They're words in your vocabulary that might make some people uncomfortable, and are inappropriate in certain settings. And i find it ironic that liberals are the ones who support cursing so exuberantly, and tend to reprimand others for having a problem with it. aren't you supposed to be about peace? when does cursing promote that cause? In fact, the words are ugly. and while i agree hearing them often won't make one's ears fall off, i still wonder about the appeal of "make love, not war, motha f***a!" i really can't think of a time when cursing has made much of an impact on me personally, except when it's on the lips of some child in a movie, and it causes me to worry that we're becoming a society of people who consider nothing to be sacred (like a child's innocence, for instance.)

but could someone enlighten me on this? i'm genuinely asking-why does sweet Regina Spektor feel the need to drop the F-bomb when she cuts her finger, yet insist that we shouldn't allow guns to citizens? are people not aware that it's words like those that cause hurt/angry feelings, even some of the time? or is it okay for people to be angry, offended, hurt, and wounded, as long as they don't have a legal right to shoot you for it?

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

but could someone enlighten me on this? i'm genuinely asking-why does sweet Regina Spektor feel the need to drop the F-bomb when she cuts her finger, yet insist that we shouldn't allow guns to citizens? are people not aware that it's words like those that cause hurt/angry feelings, even some of the time? or is it okay for people to be angry, offended, hurt, and wounded, as long as they don't have a legal right to shoot you for it?

The whole thing is that swearing doesn't kill anyone. Guns do. I've never heard of anyone dying from exposure to vulgar language but I have heard of plenty of people getting killed by guns.

Well I mean, when I was made fun of in grade school, something of which I had plenty of experience, it hurt just as much to be called "dork/nerd/loser/poo-head" as it did to be called "gay/f--ker/a--hole/dumba--" *, regardless of age ranges.

It's the aggression of the bullier that matters to the bullyee, words don't mean kumquat.

*edited for context of thread :P

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra Pound:

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

The whole thing is that swearing doesn't kill anyone. Guns do. I've never heard of anyone dying from exposure to vulgar language but I have heard of plenty of people getting killed by guns.

so, if it doesn't kill anyone, it's ideal to be thrown around as a great course of action? i mean, sure, people hurt others with words that aren't "curses" in the strict sense, but words like those are just asking for trouble. They serve no practical, positive purpose.

At least guns can scare off an intruder...

quote:
Originally posted by srgntcampsalot:

Well I mean, when I was made fun of in grade school, something of which I had plenty of experience, it hurt just as much to be called "dork/nerd/loser/poo-head" as it did to be called "gay/f--ker/a--hole/dumba--" *, regardless of age ranges.

It's the aggression of the bullier that matters to the bullyee, words don't mean kumquat

you have3 a valid point there: whether it's a bad word, or just a word being constructed to hurt others, the context means a lot.

But you've made no case for the promotion of cursing. Poohead is really just a spin-off of the other words you listed. Curse words are/were taboo because they were words with the sole intention of doing harm.

So still i ask, why curse, and encourage others to, too?

I'd say anyone who "encourages" someone to curse is off their rocker. Maybe this is because of my research of some of the ideals of Libertarianism, but it seems like someone encouraging others to curse is instantly invalidating their point on the matter as a whole.

There is no purpose in encouraging others to curse. Everyone should do as they damn well please, it's their life.

And while it's too late for me to have the desire to think about this further, I think I just answered the question of "why curse" as a whole. As long as nothing is done to harm others [using such in an aggressive mannger directed at others], and you're not forcing your ideals upon others, I feel there is no logical reason why cursing should be shunned.

Yes, they're given their "power" because the culture has chosen to do so, but yes, because of that, they hold potentially strong power. But like I said with those two points [as well as in my previous post], I see no reason why anyone should be barred from cursing in general.

But still, some writer said something along the lines of "Profanity is the language of the uneducated." Though I consider myself a linguistic-lexicarcissist [haha], I still value the value of curse words.

Edit: I'm rambling. Don't take any of this post as law.

So still i ask, why curse, and encourage others to, too?

I dont like people cussing unneccassarly. Like theres a kid on my bus that drops the F-bomb in every sentence he says. For most people cussing is fun and its to express emotion at a greater level. There is nothing wrong with cussing for me, my parents allow me to cuss, but not in public, formal setting, meeting someone new, around new or unknown people, school, etc....I do get annoyed when freaking losers on my bus scream fuck every five seconds....its pretty stupid.....