Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyC

FINALLY: "Emily the Strange" Proven to be Complete Crap

Since the 'Stix is a youthful place, and perhaps full of those targeted by the bland marketing of trash like "Emily", I figured it may be a good place to share why you should dispise this brand as much as I do.

Meet Rosamond, a guest character from 1978's "Nate The Great" stories, which was popular into the 80's.

Compare her to "Emily The Strange" - "invented" in 1991.

rosamondrb9.jpgemilyoc1.jpg

See any similarities? Exact mirroring of the cats perhaps, or the barely disguised modification of the copy?

Emily the Strange is a young, slim girl with long, straight, black hair and wears a short black dress. She has four cats (named Mystery, Miles, Sabbath, and Nee-Chee).

Rosamond (who predates Emily by a decade) is a young, slim girl with long, straight, black hair and wears a short dress. She has four cats (named Super Hex, Big Hex, Plain Hex, and Little Hex).

Emily’s cats now have distinguishing features, but originally they differed only in their sizes (exactly like Rosamond’s cats).

Perhaps my favourite tidbit from this story is the following comment by the owner of the Emily brand when asked "What sort of message they're trying to send to the audience with "Emily the Strange"?

His reply:

"That’s really the most important thing alongside the art itself. Emily is often misinterpreted as a negative or plain old bad girl. To me, she’s more of an icon for the think-for-yourself, do-it-yourself movement."

WOW.

More can be found at

Coffee Ghost

You Though We Wouldn't Notice

and Laughing Squid

Since the 'Stix is a youthful place, and perhaps full of those targeted by the bland marketing of trash like "Emily", I figured it may be a good place to share why you should dispise this brand as much as I do.

Meet Rosamond, a guest character from 1978's "Nate The Great" stories, which was popular into the 80's.

Compare her to "Emily The Strange" - "invented" in 1991.

rosamondrb9.jpgemilyoc1.jpg

See any similarities? Exact mirroring of the cats perhaps, or the barely disguised modification of the copy?

Emily the Strange is a young, slim girl with long, straight, black hair and wears a short black dress. She has four cats (named Mystery, Miles, Sabbath, and Nee-Chee).

Rosamond (who predates Emily by a decade) is a young, slim girl with long, straight, black hair and wears a short dress. She has four cats (named Super Hex, Big Hex, Plain Hex, and Little Hex).

Emily’s cats now have distinguishing features, but originally they differed only in their sizes (exactly like Rosamond’s cats).

Perhaps my favourite tidbit from this story is the following comment by the owner of the Emily brand when asked "What sort of message they're trying to send to the audience with "Emily the Strange"?

His reply:

"That’s really the most important thing alongside the art itself. Emily is often misinterpreted as a negative or plain old bad girl. To me, she’s more of an icon for the think-for-yourself, do-it-yourself movement."

WOW.

More can be found at

Coffee Ghost

You Though We Wouldn't Notice

and Laughing Squid

Because Emily the Strange is a complete rip off of something else, not to mention that the consumers of said brand tend to be annoying.

And as JohnnyC pointed out, said consumers often seem to be many members of Regina's fanbase, sadly.

quote:
Originally posted by Streetlight:

the consumers of said brand tend to be annoying.

kandi wasn't going to say anything.

but as has been proven, she can't stfu

so she simply nodded her head with wide eyes

and walked away.

Oh what a bummer.

But aren't most things now a days just ripped off versions of something else?

Why are we so shocked?

And isn't this why we get so excited when we find something fresh and original. Like Regina!

You would think the Rosamond people would say that they gave them permission...

quote:
Thank you for your interest in the Emily the Strange caper., which I just learned about a few days ago. Marjorie Sharmat, the author, and I have referred it to the legal department of the publisher. We have not had any contact with Cosmic Debris. Marjorie has the rights to the text and I have the rights to the illustrations. The illustrations are copyrighted in my name.

Sincerely

Marc Simont

Not like it matters at all.

But you know, I just think it's even more pointless to reply to something only to declare how pointless that something is.