Sign in to follow this  
lovethypenguin

Regina:PFON/W (possible oscar nom/winner)

quote:
Originally posted by joetayjo:

realistically?

does she have a chance?

theres tooo much mainstream shite on there

and lets face it regina isnt mainstream... thank god Big Grin

but saying that the call is??

i wouldnt get exited but it would be cool Big Grin

I kinda agree there... most of the time, mainstream artists win these kind of awards.

BUT there is still a chance she could get it. The Call became pretty popular with Narnia fans...

Go Regina! We're all vouching for you, here on the stix!

keep in mind that Narnia is a Disney film and Disney usually dominates these things. Regina may not be mainstream, but because she made this film for Disney, the song is going to be heavily backed and campaigned for.

but, there are other Disney films on the pre-nomination list that they may decide to campaign for in higher priority than The Call.

when it comes to awards like this, the winners are the ones who have studios that send the most bribes...errrr..."gifts" to the voters. this has been the case for years.

quote:
Originally posted by abbottANDcostello:

quote:
Originally posted by SugarDrive:

i agree.

of course you agree...we're both from Wisconsin where, due to the lack of true cultural outlets, one's cynicism grows like dandelions in the spring. Wink

just to make it clear to everyone though, i didn't mean to convey that i think a potential Regina Oscar would be a negative thing.

that post was just my way of expressing my disdain for the entities that run big awards shows.

you speak the truth young grasshoppa.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

Slow down Raph.....she hasn't been nominated yet. They're saying she could recieve a nomination....The list has 49 songs on it. What do they nominate, like 3 or 4??....I'd love to see it but don't count your chickens......

I believe they typically nominate 5 songs in that category.

quote:
Originally posted by SugarDrive:

i agree.

i feel like this: she has so many BETTER songs, but hasn't won an award for them....

i hope she wins b/c she's made of awesomeness, but on the other hand......

Yes, but none of her other 'better' songs have never fit this criteria before. To win for best original song at the Oscars, the song has to have been specifically written for the film, like "The Call."

Last year's winner was "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, for the film "Once". It was up against at least two songs from Enchanted, a Disney film and it still won. Once wasn't a huge budget film, nor would they have put pressure on the voting committee. So it's not completely overrun by big people.

quote:
Originally posted by Em Mitchell:

Last year's winner was "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, for the film "Once". It was up against at least two songs from Enchanted, a Disney film and it still won. Once wasn't a huge budget film, nor would they have put pressure on the voting committee. So it's not completely overrun by big people.

just because something is called an "indie" does not mean it is one. "indie" has been commercialized by the film industry the same way "punk" and "rap" have been commercialized by the music industry.

if you think Once was an indie, then you would also have to go along with Avril being punk.

case in point...Once was actually made by Fox Searchlight (owned by Fox of course), which is not exactly a struggling little independent studio. and, yes, Fox is more than capable of competing with Disney in campaign dollars.

i don't mean to sound too cynical, but i'm a media scholar so it's kind of my job to research this kind of stuff and become thoroughly disheartened by the mess the media oligopoly has made of our pop culture. Wink

if these awards shows were really on the up-and-up, then why are we talking about Regina potentially getting an Oscar nomination before a Grammy nomination? Smiler

Well I hope Regina gets the recognition she deserves for working so hard and being so very talented.

But we all know what happened to Bjork at the Academy Awards.

And if anyone deserves on Oscar for music its her.

Good luck though Reg.

quote:
Originally posted by abbottANDcostello:

quote:
Originally posted by Em Mitchell:

just because something is called an "indie" does not mean it is one. "indie" has been commercialized by the film industry the same way "punk" and "rap" have been commercialized by the music industry.

if you think Once was an indie, then you would also have to go along with Avril being punk.

case in point...Once was actually made by Fox Searchlight (owned by Fox of course), which is not exactly a struggling little independent studio. and, yes, Fox is more than capable of competing with Disney in campaign dollars.

i don't mean to sound too cynical, but i'm a media scholar so it's kind of my job to research this kind of stuff and become thoroughly disheartened by the mess the media oligopoly has made of our pop culture. Wink

if these awards shows were really on the up-and-up, then why are we talking about Regina potentially getting an Oscar nomination before a Grammy nomination? Smiler

But Once was made independently. They made it using $100,000 and a couple of cameras and some shitty sound equipment, and then Fox picked it up after the fact, so yes, it is in fact INDIE.