Sign in to follow this  
Jasimo

Good questions for Regina

quote:
Originally posted by Jasimo:

Thought I’d bump all the questions (minus the marry/adopt/hug me and already answered questions) up so they’re in one place. And here they are:

I love Austin City Limits and was really looking forward to seeing you perform on it, but your performance was never aired. I heard you asked that it not be shown because you didn't like your performance. What's the scoop? Any plans to be on ACL again?

Would you ever consider redoing some songs that are already on earlier albums, such as 11:11 or Songs? I know you have done this in the past, but would you consider it now that you have grown so much and acquired more fans?

Do you speak fluent Hebrew or just have a really good accent?

What are some of your favorite places in New York (since she writes about New York so much)?

What's your favorite Beatles album?

Is 11:11 ever coming out again?

Who would you REALLY like to work with?

Conan loved your performance of Fidelity on his show and was gesticulating like mad as the show played out. What was he saying?

What was Pete Townshend like? (She performed "Music Box" on his/his girlfriend's 'In the Attic' show. Scroll down to episode 4.)

Was someone next door really fucking to one of your songs? If so, which song!?!?!?

I'd ask her why the song "begin to hope" wasn't on the [eponymous] album?

What does brumstix mean ?

Do you picture the "little kid" in Lucky Penney as a boy or a girl?

If Regina hadn't been a singer songwriter/musician for a living, what would she have liked to have done for a career?

I'd ask her about what selections she'd recommend from Russian Literature, considering that's my favourite genre.Then I'd ask for her opinion on Bulgakov, pasternak, chukovskaya,tolstoy, nabokov and Akhmatova.

I know Reg doesn't like talking about the lyrics to her songs, but if she did, I'd ask her who she is talking about in Long Brown Hair.

I'd want to know what annoys Regina the most... What puts her over the edge.

Not sure if it'd be my first question but given "laughing with" Do you believe in God?

The "far" version of One More Time With Feeling" is a LOT different than the live version that you performed several times. I can't think of another song that changed so much from live to the studio: Can you tell me the story of how OMTWF changed from the concert version to the studio version?

Maybe someone already knows the answer, but, I would want to know: What was the first song you wrote? What inspired you to write it? In what way has the experience you had with that song shaped you as a songwriter?

I'd ask her if she plans on a long-form symphonic/piano composition, something 9-10 minutes long.

But Austin City Limits WAS aired, you can watch the vids on youtube.

quote:

Those clips are from the Austin City Limits Festival, a yearly three-day festival (which is great, btw).

A day or so later she performed in studio for the tv show Austin City Limits. For a while her performance was scheduled to be shown, but then she disappeared from the ACL tv schedule.

Someone on this forum said they heard that she asked that it not be shown because she didn't like her performance.

I tried to ask her a question at the Beacon, but my stupid thoughts wouldn't align to form coherent sentences. I didn't want to scare her by yelling gibberish. The inside of my head looked like this: "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

All the things I wanted to say to her went poof... turns out its a lot easier to type questions here than actually ask them to Regina in the flesh. Rather than, ya know, some kind of bizarre carbon imprint of her from a sci-fi novel.

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa...:

quote:

Those clips are from the Austin City Limits Festival, a yearly three-day festival (which is great, btw).

A day or so later she performed in studio for the tv show Austin City Limits. For a while her performance was scheduled to be shown, but then she disappeared from the ACL tv schedule.

Someone on this forum said they heard that she asked that it not be shown because she didn't like her performance.

Oh thank you that makes more sense.

I'd love to ask her if she ever forgets what a song originally meant to her when she wrote it (as in the lyrics) and then the meaning alters.

i just thought of a good question: What's she think of the fans who are purists of her work? or is she even aware that they (we) are out here? i know she's a purist about classical, and that made it weird to write her own music, and once she did start, it was years before she tried a jam session. So what's it like to know that people other than her are purists and notice every little thing that she changes, blah blah blah...?

i feel like an interviewer touched on this, though i have no idea when, and what the question/answer actually were..

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

What's she think of the fans who are purists of her work?

From a very good AV Club interview (talking about Begin to Hope):

quote:

But I've also had some really interesting responses from my fans, who I really care about and keep in touch with as best as I can through the Internet. I like paying attention to their comments. And some of them are really freaked out by the new record. They want what they had. Me, I'm very unimpressed by purists. I'm like, "Would you be the person in the room that would boo when Dylan went electric? I know I wouldn't. Or are you the person that left The Beatles after 'She Loves You,' or 'Drive My Car?' You weren't on board for 'Revolution 9' or 'Day In The Life,' were you?" [Laughs.]

quote:
Originally posted by Tamx:

Out of all the characters you have created in your songs, who is your favorite?

The answer to this would most definitely be: "Regina Spektor."

I would ask: "Why don't you ever take audience requests at shows--at least the smaller ones?"