Sign in to follow this  
Jasimo

Good questions for Regina

quote:
Originally posted by Jasimo:

I'd ask her about what selections she'd recommend from Russian Literature, considering that's my favourite genre.Then I'd ask for her opinion on Bulgakov, pasternak, chukovskaya,tolstoy, nabokov and Akhmatova.

I've heard that she really likes Pushkin. She has, of course, referenced a few Russian writers in her music. The first that comes to mind is "Wasteside," which is about the town described in Ilf and Petrov's The Twelve Chairs, and of course there's that Pasternak poem in "Apres Moi."

quote:
Originally posted by Me Myself:

I would ask: "Why don't you ever take audience requests at shows--at least the smaller ones?"

Good one, I'd definitely want to hear the answer to that.

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

quote:

I would ask: "Why don't you ever take audience requests at shows--at least the smaller ones?"

Well she does from time to time... I know there's a live recording of Dusseldorf that starts with Regina taking requests and someone shouts "Dusseldorf!" And she says "Dusseldorf?... Okay..." and proceeds to play it. That may have been a one-time thing though...

I don't mind that she doesn't take requests. I think she should have as much ownership over a concert as she would over a record.

^Poor Reg has issues with remembering lyrics/notes so I understand she can't take every single request but it'd be nice if she brush up some songs.

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

quote:

Probably contractual obligations. Since this is a "Far" tour, she has to promote "Far" and play music from it.

I know in some earlier shows people would request songs like "Braille" etc. and Regina would say "People, that's why I make records!" and play a live only song. I doubt she's able to sneak in more than a couple per show.

I was at a show in Atlanta 3 or 4 years ago and a girl kept shouting "DECEMBER!!!!!!!" so finally Regina giggled and said "That's too old!" so I assume she didn't remember it.

quote:
Originally posted by tourniquet737:

Probably contractual obligations. Since this is a "Far" tour, she has to promote "Far" and play music from it.

Oy, I would hope that's not an issue. Clearly she should want to play songs from Far, but being contractually obligated to tailor your setlists to how a record label wants them is just one step away from being a band/musician who plays the same exact setlist every show on a tour. Labels don't always care about artistic integrity.

^^reg has said several times that she's a crowd-pleaser, and very attentive (i think one example is on UH-Merica, at the Barfly show)... i'd be surprised (and a little disappointed) if she went a whole tour without taking a request that's irrelevant to her newest album or whatever we can expect the label to want her to perform, you know?

quote:
Originally posted by bum bum bum:

She played Music Box after somebody yelled it out at the show I went to a couple weeks ago. I was very surprised.

yeah I saw that! Smiler great! Hmmm... you have to yell out something she will remember... I was thinking about asking her for Ne Me Quitte Pas. since she played it in january... probably won't happen, but it's more likely she will play it than if we yell Belt or something like that... Smiler just thinking...