Sign in to follow this  
Jasimo

Good questions for Regina

^Yeah, but if I yell "Belt" long enough she would be forced to play it eventually. Or she'd get really pissed and my photo would hang above the entrance to every venue with a charming "Don't let that psycho in" description... Smiler

Belt is my current favourite. It would make me as happy as humanly possible if she revived it but I don't think that's going to happen. At least not on this tour. Maybe the next.

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

^^reg has said several times that she's a crowd-pleaser, and very attentive (i think one example is on UH-Merica, at the Barfly show)... i'd be surprised (and a little disappointed) if she went a whole tour without taking a request that's irrelevant to her newest album or whatever we can expect the label to want her to perform, you know?

Maybe she had a different policy during the Begin to Hope tour, because at the Houston show I went to she wouldn't take requests...but of course, it could have just been because people were being rude. At one point she said, "I have a request..." and if you were listening, you would have been able to tell that she was about to ask us to be quieter, but as soon as people heard the word "request" they assumed she was going to *take* requests, and everyone started yelling the names of songs.

Two people near me actually yelled, "DANIEL COWMAN!" I was like, "Newbs..." Wink Well, semi-newbs. It was cool that they knew Daniel Cowman, but they didn't know she hasn't played Daniel Cowman since 2002, and even then she forgot how to play it and moved on to another song. But I wish she would revive songs like that!

^^i wish for an oldies revival as well, Rosa. i have to say, if i got the chance of actually being heard, and regina asked for requests, i'd shout something mildly insane as well. worst case scenario, she ignores me, or hears, but says, "oh i forget that one. but it's cool of you to know it!" best-case? she goes, "Virgin Queen? Sure!" and then i go down in Stix history as a friggin' legend lol

i mean, why request the stuff she plays all the time? everyone is going to shout things from BTH and far. me tossing in a title won't really enhance its chances. throwing out a random oldie, though unlikely to be successful, i find to be a pretty commendable effort. Wink

It would have been cool if Regina had heard the people yelling Daniel Cowman and decided to try to learn how to play it again...kind of like how she re-taught herself how to play Lucky Penny. Smiler And it would be interesting to hear how different it would sound for her to sing it after so many years...

quote:

^^i wish for an oldies revival as well, Rosa. i have to say, if i got the chance of actually being heard, and regina asked for requests, i'd shout something mildly insane as well. worst case scenario, she ignores me, or hears, but says, "oh i forget that one. but it's cool of you to know it!" best-case? she goes, "Virgin Queen? Sure!" and then i go down in Stix history as a friggin' legend lol

I've considered the viability of making a posterboard with a favorite song since fans are so notoriously loud between songs.

that'd be cool.

i wonder what regina would think of that...

it's interresting, because in some interviews (i'm guessing older ones, when she played smaller venues), she described her audiences as "so great and respectful", and implied that total silence other than applause and responses to her dialogue were what she enjoyed.

in other interviews, though, she describes the energy as great, because "they want to give so much love"...

i wonder which she prefers-the screamers who occasionally storm the stage, or the silent listeners who hang on her every word?

i know i personally would rather attend a quieter concert. i sing along all the time at home, and clearly the people at current shows do, too... i'd rather not dilute regina's voice by having people sing over top of it, you know?

but as long as enough people disagree, my preferrences are crushed, because it only takes a few loudmouths to ruin it for the spectators...

no offense to the people who sing along at shows! i mean no disrespect... i'm glad that you're able to enjoy, i just think that i'd rather everyone listened quietly. regina rarely sings a song the same way twice, and it's easier to get caught up in the moment... when you can hear the moment.

I agree, Briana--I also like quieter concerts--at least with regard to the actual music. I don't mind how loud people get between songs, I just can't stand it when people scream during songs at any time--that applies to any type of performance (you certainly would not hear someone shout at a classical recital). However, since there are lyrics and everyone (probably) knows them all, I wouldn't say singing along is disruptive unless it's off-key :P. People usually don't sing along to entire songs, anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Me Myself:

I agree, Briana--I also like quieter concerts--at least with regard to the actual music. I don't mind how loud people get between songs, I just can't stand it when people scream during songs at any time--

Screaming mid-song is obnoxious, but the thing that irks me most is when people take 10measures to recognize the song and THEN decided to cheer.

quote:

i'd be surprised (and a little disappointed) if she went a whole tour without taking a request that's irrelevant to her newest album or whatever we can expect the label to want her to perform, you know?

I think I'm finally starting to understand this issue. For the most part I don't think she CAN take requests (meaning- she isn't capable of playing requested songs off the cuff well enough to meet her own standards). I think only the songs she plays on a near-nightly basis and a very few others even have any potential of being played at a show on a whim. In Michigan, there were bunches of shout-outs. But they were not chaotic, I know I heard, (and she heard) requests for Baby Jesus, Braille, Consequence of Sounds, Virgin Queen, and Small Town Moon, but Regina just smiled and said, "ohhh memories." Then she carried on with the regular set.

It seems like she has very specific relationships with her songs, such that she needs to work with them to make them "feel right" again if she's not played them in a while. And, as with, Lucky Penny, she might need to relearn them entirely. Basically, I'd say chances are slim to none that she'd do a request (your only hopes really are perhaps things she's played regularly on this or the previous tour). Personally, I don't think I'd ever yell out a request... I'll just be happy with letting her surprise us every now an then.

^^"ah, memories"? that made me unbelievably sad for some reason...

i certainly wouldn't request a song either, without her asking the audience to do so! that's rude. She's busy playing a show, and you're going to demand she play what /you/ want to hear... idk. i think that's a bit disrespectful.