Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mortality.

70 posts in this topic

Last night, a fellow sophomore at my school was shot in a random shooting downtown while waiting in line for a teen dance club.

I did not know her.

I only somewhat recognize her face.

But I can't stop thinking about her.

You must know what I'm talking about, that feeling of mortality.

Not necessarily fear, but...the fact that if she was my friend, she would be gone.

I would have lost her. Forever.

And the fact that it could have easily been me, just going to a dance party on a Saturday night.

That's what is really irking me to tears...

16 years old.

Has anyone else run into something similar?

Someone your age dies for no reason, and you just can't get it out of your head?

Unfortunately, yes. What's worse is the older you get the more it seems to happen. Some people say time heals. I don't believe this is the case most of the time. Time does make it easier but it sure doesn't heal it.

The void in your life will be there forever.

Time will teach you that this happens and it doesn't get easier. Time will teach you that each time it happens it is different and effects you in different ways. Time will teach you that you will mourn and go on.

I am sorry for your loss.

That is awful, I am so sorry. Even though you did not know her it is understandable you would be affected.

I lost a very good friend when I was 16 in a car accident, to me the most unfair thing in the world - life snatched away so young.

The truth is that it could happen at any time, but if you let it affect you too much (as I did for a while) then you forget what life is actually for - living. This is gonna sound really cheesey, but I think we should try and live every day to the full, take every opportunity presentd to us, always tell people we love them.

After you grieve, you begin to accept there are things you can't control, thoughts of death around every corner begin to leave your mind, and you learn life should be enjoyed for whatever time we have here.

i know exactly what you are feeling. its very scary, but all you can do is be there for the people that need a shoulder, and don't be afraid to live. i'm so sorry, friend. Frowner

One of my best friends OD'd last year, and I can honestly say it was single-handedly the most terrifying thing I've ever been through. She ended up being okay, thank God, but it's something I'll always remember and worry about.

I'm sorry for your loss -- I hope you're okay. If you ever need to talk, know that we're here.

In regards to what George said, I've long had the belief that no one ever truly "gets over" anything. We merely get used to it...

Something similar to this happened at another school in my town last year, it's a small town and though I didn't know the girl the older siblings of my best friend had been on good terms with her.

It's always so tragic when someone so young dies just by unfortunate chance like that, and it has a way of affecting everyone.

I'm sorry Frowner

Well, this evening I sat down and I made a list of all of my friends.

And I went through and wrote a paragraph for each friend on the list, with everything I need to tell them if they should be gone tomorrow.

And then I posted it on myspace.

I motivated other people to do it as well, because it made ME feel a lot better about the situation, and there were a lot of people who are more distraught than I am.

...and thank you to you all, too. Really.

It's been a weird day, it's comforting to know more than enough people out there care when it comes to loss.

quote:
Originally posted by 1953:

Well, this evening I sat down and I made a list of all of my friends.

And I went through and wrote a paragraph for each friend on the list, with everything I need to tell them if they should be gone tomorrow.

That is a really great idea 1953.

Three days before Christmas a member of our church died. It was due to some freak accident at his work. A cable snapped, hit him, and his death was instant. He was only 29, and he left behind his young wife (21) and two little kids. His daughter was just born last April. The whole thing was beyond shocking. I had seen him/them all happy just the day before. Then afterward, seeing his wife frazzled and justifiably a mess at candlelight service Christmas Eve was really overwhelming. There is a definite time for sadness, but along with it I think you can gain perspective and become more grateful for your own life and for those who love you too. It's just unfortunate that a lot of times terrible things have to happen before we stop taking everything for granted.

the same thing happened at my school last year. i didn't know him either. a really well-liked senior died from being hit too hard by someone's helmet in football.

he was in the hospital for almost a month before he died, and it was so strange seeing the whole school pulling together and raising money for his family. i'd imagine that's what it's like for you too.

here's a news story about it:

http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071114/NEWS01/111130056