Sign in to follow this  

Mortality.

A guy in my class killed himself in his dorm yesterday. I didn't know him, but I looked at his Facebook today. It's hard to believe that someone so young, someone who was eating the same food and taking the same classes we were, could be here one day and gone the next, all of a sudden. I've heard that said before when people died, but I've never been able to identify with how horrible and wrong it feels. I can't imagine how it would feel for his friends.

It's also terrifying to think it's possible to be that unhappy. Suicide is worse than depression because it means the person has lost hope. When someone near you is so depressed that nothing life has to offer can make surviving worthwhile, you have to wonder what's wrong with the world that such awful despair can exist in it. And the worst thing is—when you're in despair, it feels as if nothing and no one can make you feel better.

I know this post isn't so much about a person's dying for no reason, but I think it's just as scary to think of despair catching hold of someone and not letting go as to think of someone's being killed by any agent he couldn't control.

She was driving home from school when a drunk driver going the wrong way on the freeway collided with her. She died two days before her 19th birthday.

It was just so sudden.

Something similar happened at my school not only last month, but last year as well. Both boys, healthy and involved, died out of nowhere. The first, John, passed during our sophomore year. He had been playing a game of pick-up football with some friends after class, and he just collapsed. We weren't particularly good friends, but I knew him enough to know he was a stand-up guy. I still think about him often, and how we shared the same rooms, the same friends, the same experiences, the same air until the moment he died.

The second, Sharif, died just last month. He was a senior, and being a junior myself, I was not very acquainted with him. However, I do distinctly remember seeing him one day in late February and wanting to ask him where he got his groovy corduroys from. I never got to ask him. He died on my birthday (March 8). He was with friends that night and no one is sure what happened because there was an altercation, but he ended up in the hospital, and died very shortly after. He was the third student to die in two years at my school... I don't know what's happening around here lately.

I'm sorry for all your losses, as well. I don't really know what else to say because I'm awful with these types of things... Frowner