Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mortality.

70 posts in this topic

Last night some crazed man in my town decapitated his two daughters (6 & 11 y/o) and set their house on fire then went and killed his girlfriend/wife? and set her house on fire. It's just sickening. What could ever motivate a person to do such a thing??? Luckily he was arrested, but the community is still reeling. How do you tell children that their friends were murdered?

.. That's terrible. I don't know what else to say. Frowner

Do you plan to do something for their family/friends? Life is so cruel sometimes..

Lately, a few relatives/friends seem to come down with cancer. Even people I don't know, too. It gets you thinking, really-- when are you going to have your brush with mortality?

Geez, sorry to hear that, Jamie. I can't understand actions like that.. It's not that he was angry, anger doesn't make people do such strange things. He must have been deeply unwell.

2.99 a gallon, i hope your family and friends are able to pull through. Keep positive and try to enjoy life, that's all i can say. <3

my grandma died last week, and i'm pretty depressed. Like, sometimes i'm okay, but i've had a rough couple of days.. I don't know if it's better to sit and deal with it quietly, or to go hang out with people.. Ugh. Frowner

I'm so sorry about your grandma. I hate to hear you're not feeling well. I hope I don't give crappy advice. On one hand, spending time with some friends can make you feel better, but on the other,sometimes you just feel you need to be alone. Sometimes when I feel depressed I'd rather be left alone, but after more than a few days I start to realize I isolate myself and it feels worse. I think it would be good to go hang out with a friend and have fun and laugh to be reminded how good it feels. I hope your mood brightens and that your friend says something really funny so that you laugh. Smiler Surely your grandma would just want you to be happy.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. Everyone is different and it's really hard to give advices but I think that porcupine-ologist is right. When my grandpa died I wanted to be alone, I spent hours in my bedroom thinking about mortality but I finally realized that being alone made me feel very depressed. There is nothing wrong if you need to be alone but I think that it's very important to hang out with people. Your family and friends can listen to you and remind you what really matters in life. I hope you will feel better soon, my heart goes out to you and your family.

thanks, porcupine-ologist and kaoir Smiler

You're right, probably it's best to strike a balance. I'm feeling kind of guilty, because i haven't really opened up about things to my friends, and i don't want them to think i'm ditching them/ignoring them, but they're cool people and i'm sure they understand.

i feel like i'm spread a bit thin at this point. I just got back to campus and i have classes tomorrow morning, but i still feel like i'm sitting at the funeral Frowner I can't really focus for very long. (sorry if this post is a bit scattered!!) I don't know... I've got to get some work done at any rate..

anyway, thank you guys for your warm wishes and your concern. Smiler That means a lot to me!

I'm so sorry for your loss, Briana! Frowner I hope your grandma had a great life and left you with a lot of good memories. I haven't really lost that many people, but when I have had to deal with the grief and the loss, I have always needed time and space on my own. Just to clear my head and figure out the feelings inside. Dealing with other people and their grief or their reactions to your grief can be too overwhelming, and at least for me it's more comfortable to be alone and sort myself out first before facing the rest of the world. But I wouldn't say it's good for anyone to isolate themselves completely. If you start feeling like your stuck in the same thoughts and questions and bad feelings, being alone with them serves no purpose. That's were friends are needed, to pull you away from those thoughts and to make you remember the good things in life. I think - and this is really just my opinion, since everyone has their own way a dealing with grief - it could be good to tell your friends that you've lost someone dear and you're sad about that, but you want still want to sped time with them and for life to go on. I bet they'll understand and know that you're not ignoring them or being rude even if you don't feel up to being very socially active for a while.

I really hope you'll feel better soon. And also - don't be too hard on yourself and give yourself the time you need. It's very understandable for you to feel distratcted right now, but it will probably get easier in time. A big virtual hug for you and your family!