fidelity377

What are you watching right now?

I don't get it, I've heard people complain about The US of Tara for 2 reasons: 1, they think it makes light of DID or 2, they hate Diablo Cody. The thing is, tv has been parodizing serious events forever...its called fiction. Plus many people with DID enjoy the show because it brings light to what they suffer through. Also, yes Juno had some crazy dialogue, but US of Tara is much more tame.

I was hooked on the show from the first episode, I watched the first two episodes about 5 times each and still didn't get bored. (and the intro song and sequence ROCKS!)

Lately, it's been like that.

The Sopranos immediately comes to mind. There was a lot of outrage because of the way it portrayed Italian-Americans. Hello, it's a TV show. It's a story. It's fiction. Isn't that why we watch?

I think it's all got to do with political correctness gone mad.

One the biggest TV shows of all time, All in the Family, revolved around a working-class, very outspoken bigot, prejudiced against everyone and everything not in agreement with his view of the world. It was a hit. And while I'm sure there was a minor bit of yapping about it, it was nothing like what we see today.

Can we no longer separate reality from fiction?

Maybe its just shows that people perceive too close to reality? Has anyone heard any uproar over shows like Weeds or True Blood?

All in all the response is ridiculous though, these shows aren't anywhere as appalling as the actual reality shows.