Sign in to follow this  

"Far" Regina's Next Album :D

I read this in pitchfork news, My week starts in the best way possible Big Grin

Monday, March 16

Regina Spektor Spills About New Album

"The myth of rock'n'roll doesn't weigh heavily on me." Regina Spektor Spills About New Album

On the quirky scale, Regina Spektor makes Zooey Deschanel look like Jennifer Aniston. Everything about the Russian-born singer-songwriter is a little bit skewed-- her accent, phrasing, pronunciation, hooks. So, after toiling in the downtown NYC scene for the first half of the decade, it was a pleasant surprise when her 2006 album Begin to Hope cracked Billboard's Top 20 on the strength of bittersweet pop bites like "Fidelity" and "Better". Based on an advance listen to some of the tracks from her follow-up, Far (due in June via Sire), we can happily report that success hasn't spoiled Spektor's oddball charisma.

For Far, the singer enlisted a quartet of hit-making producers: Begin to Hope's David Kahne, Mike Elizondo (Fiona Apple, Maroon 5), Garret "Jacknife" Lee (U2, R.E.M.), and-- most surprisingly-- ELO frontman/Paul McCartney and George Harrison collaborator/Traveling Wilburys member/overall rock'n'roll institution Jeff Lynne.

Though her production collaborators come from a wide range of backgrounds, it's tough to mistake Spektor for anyone else. Among the songs that may be included on the record (the tracklist has yet to be set), there are dark narratives ("Genius Next Door"), sprightly sure-to-be hits ("The Calculation"), and some trademark goofiness ("Folding Chair", which features Spektor doing an uncanny dolphin imitation). As she gets ready to work on the final mixes for Far, Spektor took some time out to talk to us about her creative process, working with Jeff Lynne, and her sci-fi prediction for the year 2309.

Very ironic morning.

Get up and feel like hearing some ELO, I kid you not. So I pick a bunch of ELO songs and play them. Then I open Facebook and I have several messages from kaysandtees, from 3AM this morning, going off about how the stix is down but she needs to post info regarding the new album. She gave me some of the details and a link to the article referenced here. I open that up and wow....Jeff Lynne of ELO and the Traveling Wilburys and solo and mega producer has a hand in the album.

I am smiling ear to ear. That collaboration thrills me to no end.....

Oh and just to be the devils advocate, remember our talk with reg, she made it sound more like year end. Just because it's scheduled for June doesn't mean it will be in June. So try to keep your mind set as we guided before and if it happens earlier....GREAT!!

Sure is nice to get a wee bit o' detail.

Better send EB a telegram......Stop.

ellyhigginbottom Posted Mar 16, 2009 3:18 AM

Moved to consolidate threads:

Originally posted by ellyhigginbottom:

Plus a nice little interview.

(I know this is only like my second post here. But i'm a lurker. And when I read it on pitchfork i immediately rushed over here to see if you had any more news and noone had posted it!! So hi Smiler )