Sign in to follow this  
sicko

"Far" Regina's Next Album :D

Ok.. I got off my butt. Smiler I just didn't think I'd have time to do it, but I doo..

When Regina Spektor approached Jeff Lynne to produce her third album, she wasn't familiar with his resume. "I loved Tome Petty's last record," she says. "Everyone was like, 'He's done some other things'" Lynne was just one of four producers - the others are Mike Elizondo, David Kahne and Garret "Jacknife" Lee - who contributed to Spektor's third set of eccentric piano pop. The New Yorker's Bjork-style vocal acrobatics and offbeat wit are all over tunes like the spiritual plea "Laughing With" and "The Wallet", about a lost billfold. But the collaborators add cool layers and textures, like Lynne's ELO-style strings on "Blue Lips" and the rockabilly groove of "Folding Chair." "I wanted to learn from as many people as I could," Spektor says. "If I had more time, I probably would have used six more producers."

From Rolling Stone:

"When Regina Spektor approached Jeff Lynne to produce her third major label release, Far, she wasn't familiar with his résumé.

"I loved Tom Petty's last record," she says. "Everyone was like, 'He's done some other things.'" Those "other things," of course, include work with Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and, of course, E.L.O.

For the follow up to 2006's Begin to Hope, Spektor recruited Lynne and three other producers — Mike Elizondo, David Kahne and Garret "Jacknife" Lee — to corral her next collection of eccentric piano pop. The New Yorker's Björk-style vocal acrobatics and offbeat wit are all over tunes like the spiritual plea "Laughing With" and "The Wallet," about a lost billfold. But the collaborators add cool layers and textures, like Lynne's ELO-style strings on "Blue Lips" and the rockabilly groove of "Folding Chair."

"I wanted to learn from as many people as I could," Spektor says. "If I had more time, I probably would have used six more producers."

She may have needed the reinforcements in facing the daunting task of following up the acclaimed Begin to Hope, an album that drew praise for Spektor's "gorgeous, fluttery voice, her burgeoning writer chops and her God-given quirks" and earned it a spot among our top 50 albums of 2006. And as she prepares to follow up that success, Spektor is almost giddy, blogging, "I'm amazingly excited... it's starting to sink in that this is really happening... wow... wow. Wow! The feeling of being on a roller coaster and looking down at the plummet... Both exciting and terrifying. More exciting though... much more."

Link