Sign in to follow this  
sicko

"Far" Regina's Next Album :D

I just got my special edition copy of Far with the lithograph! Listened to it and loved (most) of it.

Loving 'The Calculation', found 'Human of the Year' to be a little bit disappointing vocally, and 'One More Time with Feeling' needs a little more time to grow on me. I keep on thinking about the live version when I listen to this, so I probably need to try and listen to this in isolation.

Not a bad album, not as great as I had hoped, but I still loved it. Will listen to it a few more times and see how it grows.

For now, a solid 8.

Hoping I'm not over stepping my new-poster bounds, this was a great album. As studio tracks, I'm taking most songs for themselves, aside from the live versions. On my first listen, it took me about 3 songs in to get accustomed to the "new sound", but after that, I was sold. While it's definitely similar in style to BTH, it has a very different feel to it, for me.

The Calculation was a surprising romp of a fun song. Simple as that. Definitely will put you in a good mood.

Blue Lips, an example of how studio can actually be great. I love this song, and the way the drums and ambient sounds add to the effect of the verses is great. Especially the last fast verse before the end. So intense, but somberly so.

Folding Chair, I loved what was done with it. The backing guitar was sweet. Plus the "frowns, you silly clown" verse always gets me, hah.

Machine. God, Machine! From the first few notes, I knew it was my stand out track from this album. It has such a gritty sound, half way in I really feel like I'm in almost a Orwell/Matrix-esque industrial, underground world where humans have forfeited their own creative individual thoughts. And using David Byrne's "Playing the Building" was ingenious, on BOTH their parts.

Laughing With, I loved because, even as a non-religious person, I don't see it as a religious song, but a song about how we can not take some things in life seriously. It speaks to everyone.

Dance Anthem of the 80s, I liked, especially because Reggie Watts is AWESOME. But I started truly LOVING this album take when I saw the music video. That's probably my favorite of all her videos, it married the feeling and meaning of the song so well with the visual end. And the song has such passion and fun all at once.

As bad as it makes me feel, the next four tracks, Genius Next Door, Wallet, OMTWF, and MOATF, they were very enjoyable, but they didn't really stand out at me significantly. I KNOW I liked "Genius" much better when it was just piano. Maybe these four could have benefited from just being left to Regina, her piano, and their own devices.

Time is All Around was one of my favorites. I love how they spruced it up with the guitar, and gave the whole song a building-up feeling that isn't there with just piano. That effect made me tear up by the end of up with the lyrics [shut up].

And none of that even takes into account the sheer poetry and opera in her storytelling. Even as I listen to the musicality of these songs, I discover a new idea or story in her lyrics. The way this woman views the world is amazing. And to be able to compose it into song, is... fuckin' AWESOME.

Overall, I need to give it time to soak in, but it may be on par with BTH. I'll get back to you if it beats Songs or SK for me, haha. It seems to have such an expansive feeling that wasn't in any previous record, so it's increasingly hard for me to peg it down or compare it to previous albums. Hence the name, "Far"?

I bought my copy on Friday afternoon Big Grin <3 it. I got a special ed with a DVD of her music vids too. EEEEEEEEEE!

Can someone post Riot Gear and any of the other bonus tracks?? I only got Time.I.A.A. and T.S.A.T.Pen on my album... Frowner

Probably late to the party (VERY, very late) but I just got my copy of Far!! Yey!!

I can't stop looking through the booklet, it's just so beautiful. I ordered the Special Edition by the way. Big Grin I'm so happy!!!!!

quote:
Probably late to the party (VERY, very late) but I just got my copy of Far!! Yey!!

I can't stop looking through the booklet, it's just so beautiful. I ordered the Special Edition by the way. Big Grin I'm so happy!!!!!

the party never ends! i'm still listening to mine on repeat everyday Smiler

I just got mine! (few hours before I have to leave but still, yey!). The litho seems a bit weird, though. What kind of paper is it printed on? Mine is on normal soft glossy one. and because I didn't order from WB it's not numbered, but i was expecting that - it's going on my wall anyway.

In the new Entertainment Weekly Regina is #5 on the Must List The Top 10 Things We Love This Week feature.

Also, on their Top Itunes Downloads Chart for the week (this week or last? I'm not sure).Far came in at #5. The top 4 spots are all Michael Jackson.