Sign in to follow this  
sicko

"Far" Regina's Next Album :D

Yeah, Far is such a weird album...

And I know what you mean, Mikaela, about it being "shiny". I've always viewed Far as generally silver whereas albums like BTH and Soviet Kitsch are colorful as hell.

^that's a good way to put it, Raph.

i think maybe Reg was just trying something different (notice how she sings The Calculation.. although, is it possible she had a cold when she recorded it, maybe? just thought about that...)

nothing wrong with experimenting... i wonder if she's trying to move away from the "quirky/oddball" label. she's made it pretty clear that she's not crazy about it. Plus, she's snagged a vocal coach since far came out. i think she's making an effort to become more professional/"official".. there's a lot less of the "quirky" noises and sounds on far, mostly just folding chair's "dolphin song", and critics talk about that half as much as they talk about the God referrences in Laughing With.

I don't know. just a thought...

I think we just have to accept that reg has moved on musically... and will hopefully keep moving on musically for the rest of her career.

I completely agree that Far is less inspiring than all of her other albums, but then again I have a cousin who I have a lot of respect for who thinks it's the best one. So I have spent a lot of time balancing the odd emotions I have for Far. I think the trick is just looking at it as something completely different than all of her other music... well obviously not completely different, but yeah, a new direction.

When it comes down to it, I still love her other albums so much. It is those 'rough edges' that ground it in reality, make it tangible and thus genuine. But I have faith that she'll figure this out... Smiler Either way, she's still one of the best musicians ever.

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

(notice how she sings The Calculation.. although, is it possible she had a cold when she recorded it, maybe? just thought about that...)

I thought that when I first heard the song. Her voice sounds so different. But strangely I love it, and it is one of my favourites on the album.

I think she was just singing differently. She kind of sounds similar to that in the Ben Folds song. I think.. and didn't she have a vocal coach before?

Anyway, the only thing I feel is missing from Far is more of a punkish feel. It's there.. in Blue Lips and Folding Chair.. and Machine. I do feel like it needed a little bit more though.

If that makes sense. XD

Has Regina ever mentioned having a vocal coach or are people just supposing?

I really enjoy her vocals on Far, pretty pretty voice, but it's definitely a little bit held back style-wise, with the exception of a few songs (Human of the Year, mostly.) I liked edges-through-the-production on Begin to Hope, the rougher vocals on Soviet Kitsch. I think her Songs voice is the roughest on the ears- a little grating at moments. Her 11:11 voice sounds affected, with moments of her shining through.

As for production, I personally love love love the production on Begin to Hope. I think Far is overproduced in places- sorry, but the Jeff Lynne songs are particularly over-produced.

I sometimes wish she would have done the whole album with Mike and David, I think that would have been best. The Jacknife songs aren't overproduced, but they don't really jump out at you the way the production on the Mike Elizondo tracks does.

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in the Sounds:

She has mentioned it. That she wanted to stop having her voice sound like other people's so she went to a voice lady who helped her find her own voice. I think she said that or something like that. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by baby jesus:

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in the Sounds:

She has mentioned it. That she wanted to stop having her voice sound like other people's so she went to a voice lady who helped her find her own voice. I think she said that or something like that. Smiler

If that's what you're talking about, then it came from a french article. Regina actually said the person was a voice teacher not a vocal coach, the difference being that her voice teacher was someone she took lessons with versus hiring someone to come on the road with her and coach her through singing (many singers do this- Josh Groban, for instance.)

i agree with you, CCBF-i think she'll find a way to balance everything out.

also, and i'm not thinking of anyone in particular here, i don't think it's fair to assume that every album will be a masterpiece just yet--she's still new to the studio, after all. And she said she wanted to learn as much as she could from these producers. hopefully she's drawn something from this experience that will make the next album even better (assuming she didn't consider /this/ one to be perfect Wink)

but, yeah. i like far well enough, but it's never really sunk in the way i'd hoped it would. I think the production on BtH, and even the simple stuff on 11:11 really suit the songs, while the far production really seemed to take liberties from the lyrics and/or original vibes of the songs... Especially on OMTWF, like everyone's been saying. That one particularly felt out of place.. But then, Blue Lips and Sword and Pen are standout tracks in that everything works wonderfully... i don't know who produced what, so i have nothing to add there.

i think machine is one of the best album tracks we've seen from Regina, though! i love every aspect of it. the vibe suits the lyrics/meaning, and the meaning is sooo regina-y, you know? i think that's my favorite Reg song from 2009. And Ink Stains is awesome, too... but i digress. Smiler

Oh, well Far is definitely my all time favorite album by Reg. I understand the weird side of it though. And I agree with Briana, Machine is amazing!! I used to not like it. I really do not know what the hell was wrong with me then.