Sign in to follow this  
sicko

"Far" Regina's Next Album :D

Maybe this is just blind faith (or a phrase that makes more sense there), but I believe that whatever sound the song has on the album is the sound regina wanted it to have. Like, the album version is the song.

yeah, she's new to the studio, but would she put out something that wasn't what she wanted? I doubt it. yeah, a record label places certain pressures and limitations, but I think her vision would have come through no matter what.

And just because this album was heavily produced doesn't mean they all will be. This is the sound she thought was right for this album, not necessarily for the rest of her musical career.

And yeah, Machine is awesome. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

And just because this album was heavily produced doesn't mean they all will be. This is the sound she thought was right for this album, not necessarily for the rest of her musical career.

I sure hope so. It's totally understandable that she should want to take advantage of the opportunities she has now for her music...like this quote says from an interview I found:

"The records that I had made were never the records that I would have made if I had time or money or resources or a chance, you know? They were, like, necessity records. It's like, if all you have in the house is peanut butter and stale bread, that's what you're gonna make from."

...but as we know, she doesn't always need all of those noises. For songs like Machine it makes sense, but for others like One More Time with Feeling and Blue Lips, like we've all said, not so much.

quote:
I sometimes wish she would have done the whole album with Mike and David

YES!!! I completely agree, Mike is a genius and I love his bass playing. and David of course works with Regina so well.

I remember reading a review of Far complaining that she didn't get a chance to express herself as much as she did on Begin to Hope, and I think that's completely true. What song on far has the aching loneliness of Summer in the City or the intensity of Apres Moi?

Sword and the Pen aches quite a bit, and Machine is somewhat intense.

I see where everyone's coming from, but I'm resisting comparing albums simply because they weren't all made with the same purpose. She wasn't trying to say with "far" exactly what she was trying to say on "Begin to Hope." What she was trying to say is anyone's guess, of course.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

Sword and the Pen aches quite a bit, and Machine is somewhat intense.

I love the Sword and the Pen. It's a beautiful song. I don't mind Jeff's production on that one so much. It reminds me of the middle ages, no idea why.

I just hate what he did with the Tambourine in Folding Chair and Blue Lips.

I honestly like it... I don't know if that's because I'm just not a picky listener or if I didn't get attached to the live recordings. The experience of those songs was certainly made different for me by the production, but not necessarily for the worse.

i don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with far, since i'm not in Reg's head. But at the same time, it's always been said that one of Regina's strengths is drawing people in with a common vision through her lyrics and the "worlds she creates".. so wouldn't it be safe to assume that the vibe we expect from a song, no matter how vague an idea we have about it, to be at least close to what she has in mind? I'm not trying to start something, complain, or bash any particular song/album. I'm just venturing an explanation for why everyone, including myself, is so surprised to have songs that don't match our expectations.

then again, regina's vision is no doubt deeper/broader than what we've picked up. i can't remember when, but i know regina implied that she hears her songs different ways.. so maybe, when the songs don't match up with our expectations, it's because she chose to explore a different aspect of the song than she's performed. Like in One More Time With Feeling, she performed it as a ballad, so that the "doo-wee-oo-wee" part was kind of out of place. On the album, she chose to play up the funner parts, so that the ballad-y verses lost most of their heavy, sad vibe. Nothing wrong with that, unless you've become accustomed to hearing it as a ballad. Now the song is "ruined". Except that it's not.

It's kind of like seeing a teacher outside of class- there's nothing really wrong with it, but getting used to it will take a lot of determination and a very open mind. Smiler

about prduction, i think the same thing applies--we've grown to love just regina and piano, with strings sometimes, or a beatboxer, or a drummer. But that's not necessarily what she's been looking for..

AAANYWAY.... i think we've gotten a bit off topic from the discussion jellybeanjules meant to bring up: she noticed something particlar /about/ the production. She wasn't complaining about the fact that it existed, nor was she comparing far to the production on other albums, except to highlight the use of strings where far sometimes used keyboard.

i think the discussion of overly-produced regina albums has a mind of its own, and resurfaces whenever it sees the opportunity in an even vaguely related topic. SmilerRazzer

Hmm... I think that it all comes down to Regina will do whatever the hell she wants, and we can love it or hate it, but it will still be her.

I always kind of looked at OMTWF as a sort of happy, you-can-do-it sort of song, so I was kind of suprised by the negative reaction, just because I never saw the depressing ballad in it that many have. I don't know. I kind of really like the album version, don't shoot me. :P

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

But at the same time, it's always been said that one of Regina's strengths is drawing people in with a common vision through her lyrics and the "worlds she creates".. so wouldn't it be safe to assume that the vibe we expect from a song, no matter how vague an idea we have about it, to be at least close to what she has in mind?

Excellent point... I never really looked at it that way...

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

i think the discussion of overly-produced regina albums has a mind of its own, and resurfaces whenever it sees the opportunity in an even vaguely related topic. SmilerRazzer

Oh that's partially my bad this time. Red FaceSmiler