Sign in to follow this  
sicko

"Far" Regina's Next Album :D

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

Hmm... I think that it all comes down to Regina will do whatever the hell she wants, and we can love it or hate it, but it will still be her.

I was reading an old thread that was active around the time Begin to Hope came out, and it mentioned that she actually wrote: "i will always do watever the fuck i want, and it's because i care about and respect music/all of you/us/myself..." I will trust her statement that she will in fact do what the fuck she wants and decide on my own if I will take it or leave it.

Hmmm...just recently i tried listening to the far version of Blue lips and i actually cant do it, i mean the production in that song is actually terrible. It completely strips the song of any emotion and the lyrics lose their intensity.

And for other songs such as the Wallet and Two Birds it just seems to me shes trying to hard to make a produced album and it sounds out of place and false and even generic.

Most of the new songs i dont mind too much some of them i love like laughing With, The Sword and Pen and the Calculation but most definitely its my least favourite album of hers.

But i still i quite like far as im comparing it to her later albums which are just to amazing to be compared to. Smiler

^^wow, Dominic. that was heavy. I don't think the production on Blue Lips is bad to the point of being unlistenable, but by all means, you're obviously entitled to your own opinion!

i feel like Laughing With had a nice shock value to it in light of the expectations i held based on its title. After i've gotten used to it, though, i feel like it's

1: by no means Regina's best work

and 2: almost boring--

i don't mean to be a jerk about it or anything. i just feel like there's something vital that's been drawn out of it... i can't explain it better than that.

ok. Nap, then homework.......

P.S.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

Oh that's partially my bad this time. Red FaceSmiler

Yup. Cut that out, Jared! i swear, sometimes ...... *mumble mumble* Razzer

^^ I know. I'm terrible. Wink

The first time I heard Laughing With, it was immediately my favorite song. There's definitely a "shock value" to it. With "Fidelity" as our only example of what a regina studio release lead single was like, we definitely set certain expectations for the song, and what we got was totally different. And it was beautiful. She said something that just hadn't been said before in pop music, with an incredible melody and gorgeous video.

However, Laughing With holds the dubious distinction of the only regina spektor song I've ever over-played and gotten sick of.

quote:

However, Laughing With holds the dubious distinction of the only regina spektor song I've ever over-played and gotten sick of.

Well yeah, and it's a natural thing. It's similar to when I saw her play last summer and the very last song of the set was Fidelity. My knee jerk reaction was, "Well that's a bit safe, don't you think?"

I would have had the same reaction to, say, Us, or, On The Radio, etc

I always like to point out that most of the people at these concerts go for just that: the songs they know. Little do they realize the treat they get in hearing new(er/ish) songs. If she can get one person to hear a new song and like it by playing the exact same encore every night, then that is a success. Or, in the case of a friend of mine, getting a non-fan/disliker (I would say hater but that's harsh) to like a song. And if I'm not mistaken, she played the exact same set in her fall tour, minus when she played Ballad of a Politician. I think at one point she expressed the sentiment that she never wanted to play the same set, but as tours get longer and bigger, it's necessary.

quote:
Originally posted by Sgtcampsalot:

quote:

Well yeah, and it's a natural thing. It's similar to when I saw her play last summer and the very last song of the set was Fidelity. My knee jerk reaction was, "Well that's a bit safe, don't you think?"

I would have had the same reaction to, say, Us, or, On The Radio, etc

Hmm... it's interesting that you say that, because most of her songs I can hear over and over again live and still adore and want to hear again, but the three during which I either make sure my memory cards not full, or I change my camera batteries, are Blue Lips, Laughing With and Samson. That doesn't mean I don't love the songs, of course.

I think I could never ever get sick of Us. That and Apres Moi are her songs I consider to be as close to perfection as anything could ever come.

Here's my deal, I don't mind the production on Far at all. As long as Regina doesn't start using autotuning or vocoding I am cool. I think Reg is great with production, and with just a bare piano. Her music and lyrics hit me either way.

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

Here's my deal, I don't mind the production on Far at all. As long as Regina doesn't start using autotuning or vocoding I am cool. I think Reg is great with production, and with just a bare piano. Her music and lyrics hit me either way.

I don't even really have a problem with autotuning and vocoding as long as they're used to sound cool. Take Aqualung for example.

Although, can vocoding even really be used as an enhancer?