Sign in to follow this  
sicko

"Far" Regina's Next Album :D

Recommended Posts

quote:
Originally posted by tallchick:

quote:
Originally posted by Galactastica:

first off, i like it...

but part of me is weary. since i know most of the songs on the album, i'm not too worried, but this song is a little...god riddled. don't know how else to put it! i've always liked reginas "religious" songs, ie baby jesus, human of the year, etc. they are some of her best, but this one just has a different feel that seems preachy to me, like faith music almost.

You know, I totally agree. I thought the same thing. Like I like it butt. it seems like something I would find on the christian radio station ya know? It's good, the piano is good but im iffy on how its going to be as a single...

hmm..i disagree...first of all i think that regina is the polar opposite of preachy. but that aside, yes, it is a religious song, so what? why shouldn't she be able to express her feelings without being accused of preachiness? she mentioned in one of her blogs that she believes in god, and i see no reason for her not to express her spirituality through music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Eliana:

quote:
Originally posted by tallchick:

quote:
Originally posted by Galactastica:

first off, i like it...

but part of me is weary. since i know most of the songs on the album, i'm not too worried, but this song is a little...god riddled. don't know how else to put it! i've always liked reginas "religious" songs, ie baby jesus, human of the year, etc. they are some of her best, but this one just has a different feel that seems preachy to me, like faith music almost.

You know, I totally agree. I thought the same thing. Like I like it butt. it seems like something I would find on the christian radio station ya know? It's good, the piano is good but im iffy on how its going to be as a single...

hmm..i disagree...first of all i think that regina is the polar opposite of preachy. but that aside, yes, it is a religious song, so what? why shouldn't she be able to express her feelings without being accused of preachiness? she mentioned in one of her blogs that she believes in god, and i see no reason for her not to express her spirituality through music.

i agree with you eliana. if anyone mentions the word God, most of the population becomes offended. i don't really understand why. its someones belief. maybe because its unseen? but if someone talks about science, evolution and so on, most of the population don't care. because it can be explained? what about the people who believe in God/higher power? are they ment to get offended by that? religion, god, its a touchy subject. let people believe what they want to. sing what they want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i never said i thought her being "preachy" was wrong, i personally don't have a problem with it-i just personally don't prefer my music to have that feel to me, and that is the feeling i interpret from the song. i understand regina believes in god; fine, dandy, most people do. but, since i do not, i don't gravitate to music that is based on a subject i do not find interesting or personal. and i would feel sad i was missing out on a regina i connect with if her music became faith-riddled to me.

i would not call it selling out, not by any means. this is a very regina sounding and written song. i did say i liked it, i'm just not to keen on the seemingly god loving subject matter. it's an opinion, so i'm not saying she's wrong for writing music that i interpret one way opposed to how others would or how she meant it.

i do feel a tori amos fan vibe though. and yeah, i'm a tori fan. people will eat whatever is handed to them by any artist they love. i find that obsession and not love; tori and regina are two of my very favorite artists and i do not have to like everything they create; and thats okay. but just because overall they are amazing women who make amazing music doesn't mean that i personally have to adore everything they do and defened it and tell everyone one else who doesn't like it they are wrong and interpreting it incorrectly. it's music! it's meant to be interpreted! it's meant to be personal or form to the listener! to me, Laughing With is preachy, and very pro relgion. -that's okay. it just ain't my thing.

someone earlier on mentioned that even a person without religious faith will turn to God in times of crisis because you have to believe in a higher power when it comes down to it. boy, did that make me laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to disrupt this nifty conversation but

I'm still gonna hope and speculate that Eet is Belt, Small Town Moon, or All the Rowboats

Wink HEY! A girl can dream can't she??? *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i saw someone else speculate that it Eet was Loveology...maybe i'm missing something, but is there any reason that the name Eet makes you guys think it's any of these songs? Like Two Birds might be A Lesson because of the two sparrows in the song, what about Eet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Galactastica:

people will eat whatever is handed to them by any artist they love. i find that obsession and not love; tori and regina are two of my very favorite artists and i do not have to like everything they create; and thats okay. but just because overall they are amazing women who make amazing music doesn't mean that i personally have to adore everything they do and defened it and tell everyone one else who doesn't like it they are wrong and interpreting it incorrectly. it's music! it's meant to be interpreted! it's meant to be personal or form to the listener! to me, Laughing With is preachy, and very pro relgion. -that's okay. it just ain't my thing.

someone earlier on mentioned that even a person without religious faith will turn to God in times of crisis because you have to believe in a higher power when it comes down to it. boy, did that make me laugh.

I know what you mean about people eating every song an artist hands them but I do feel bad when someone sincerely loves an artist and every song they make and are told they are obsessed (not that you were saying this at all, just in general). Some people will love every song if they connect with an artist, especially if it's the first time they'd properly listened to music.

As for the whole people turning to a higher power, it can be true. Not for everyone but I know people who claim to not believe and yet turn to asking a higher being for help when they need it.

Please don't take anything I've said personally, or as being offensive. I'm not starting an argument, I just wanted to give my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Galactastica:

it's music! it's meant to be interpreted! it's meant to be personal or form to the listener! to me, Laughing With is preachy, and very pro relgion. -that's okay. it just ain't my thing.

Nah, I get where you're coming from with your interpretation! It's not my own but it makes sense to me. That said, I think if anything , it's more pro-God, than pro-religion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by dirtballsinmypockets:

im loving on this song sooooooo much!Big Grin

now the way for the album is so much harder! its like tasting the most amazing cake ever and the being told, ok only one mouth-full, you have to wait a month and two weeks before you can have the rest!

there's just one thing im afraid of, that it gets over produced.

i've loved regina since i bought BTH back in 2006. i feel in love with that record and went investigating and found SK and then songs and 11:11 plus all of her live stuff. i feel so deeply in love with all of her earlier stuff because of how raw it was. i was amazed that one human and a piano could make such awesome music.

i dont know, i think im just afraid that some of that raw magic of her songs might get lost in production of adding more instruments, effects and stuff like that. dont get me wrong, its awesome that she has those sort of things available to her now because of her success but....i dont know.

do i make sense?

sorry, just a thought i had. i probably sound like a jerk. but i love the new song and regina.

Smiler

I completely understand where you're coming from, I had the same concerns as well! In some ways, I'd almost prefer all the songs on this new album to be new simply because it would be easier for me to deal with the "produced quality" of songs I haven't heard live before than those I have - songs whose rawness and simplicity I've become rather attached to =) That said, I'm very happy with this first single! For me, it retains much of the things I love about Regina's older music while still being different enough to show her growth as an artist. Her voice and the piano are the heart of this song, the "extras" don't overwhelm her music, and all around I think if the rest of the album is produced in this same vein, I'm going to love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Galactastica:

i saw someone else speculate that it Eet was Loveology...maybe i'm missing something, but is there any reason that the name Eet makes you guys think it's any of these songs? Like Two Birds might be A Lesson because of the two sparrows in the song, what about Eet?

I'm just hoping, praying, PLEASE REGINA I HOPE YOU PUT LOVEOLOGY ON FAR!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this