Sign in to follow this  
sicko

"Far" Regina's Next Album :D

Listened to LAUGHING WITH a few hundred more times. Smiler

Definitely think she means to include herself, both among those who laugh at God and those who "laugh with" God. In her own song BABY JESUS, she's certainly "laughing at," in much the same way the people in LAUGHING WITH laugh at crazies and the hocus pocus Santa Claus aspect of prayer. At the same time, she clearly feels compassion for the people in the "laughing with" moments---getting the bad news after a routine test, having a policeman show up at the door, waiting up worrying for kids, etc.. At the end, she overtly includes herself ("we all").

I don't necessarily agree with her that "we all" turn to God when life gets tough. (Right before I heard the song, I read an essay by a man whose daughter died suddenly at age 37, leaving 3 young children. His attitude was "Fuck you, God" and I can't blame him. He is not "laughing at" God, but he's not "laughing with" either.)

But I love the song, which seems so Regina-ish: offbeat yet meaningful subject matter, vivid narrative elements, sadness and humor (tending to the grotesque), compassion, and perfect marriage of lyrics and music.

Thanks for that link. I liked Regina on Regina:

"There are certain things that have always been part of my personal perspective that comes through the songs, like I'm definitely a very positive person, not very morbid, kind of sarcastic and at times judgmental and at times there's through it all a giant love of humanity."

Exactly!!!

Hello all, haven't posted in a while... just wanted to make sure this was right, trying to figure out which songs are completely brand new on the new album.

The Calculation

Eet

Machine

Laughing With

Two Birds

Laughing With I've seen has been posted, but are any of the others renamed versions of older songs? Thanks.