Sign in to follow this  
nickynacker

Laughing With!

What about the line "No one's laughing at God when their airplane starts to uncontrollably shake?"

I don't mean to come across as insensitive, I'm just saying I wouldn't be comfortable hearing that on a plane.

But the cloud imagery + that song does sound.... ideal.

Its such a beautiful song! I am getting pissed of because people are getting offended because of the lyrics. Seriously its ridiculous!!!! I am an atheist and this is my second favorite song ever made! The lyrics are true as well, people do mock god but then back off when there having trouble. The song is touching and beautiful no matter what your religous beliefs are! Smiler

Quote by Regina

" It is just as natural for someone not to have faith, as it is for someone to have faith"

I am so glad she is not judgemental. You just gotta love REgina's personality!!

quote:
people do mock god but then back off when there having trouble

As an atheist I chose to interpret it a bit differently. "God" being the symbol of retrospection and epiphany. Life is fun, you don't give a damn about anything untill something horrible happens. In those horrible moments you see your life and values in slow motion recapitulating. No one laughs in those moments. You suddenly get that you haven't accomplished anything, you're wasting your time or that you drink too much etc.

Thats another good way of looking at it. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

quote:

As an atheist I chose to interpret it a bit differently. "God" being the symbol of retrospection and epiphany. Life is fun, you don't give a damn about anything untill something horrible happens. In those horrible moments you see your life and values in slow motion recapitulating. No one laughs in those moments. You suddenly get that you haven't accomplished anything, you're wasting your time or that you drink too much etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

quote:

I like what you said there, it's so true in a way I think. sometimes it seems to me that people forget to think deeply (and spiritually) about life, it's so much easier to just be having a laugh. it's not until something bad happens to you that you start thinking/caring...

but to me, this song is more of a reminder not to take life too seriously. like, it's good to think about life, values, right/wrong, etc, and God if you like, but don't be offended when people joke about serious stuff because maybe it doesn't have to be that serious all the time? Maybe life can just be simple and fun and things don't have to be so profound all the time?

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

Quote by Regina

" It is just as natural for someone not to have faith, as it is for someone to have faith"

yes!

I think faith is an important thing, whether you're an atheist, christian, jew, muslim, buddhist, wiccan, agnostic, whatever....

It's only my personal belief (which I have wavering faith in), that you can't know anything for certain (except that you exist..."cogito ergo sum"), and thus, to believe in anything, you must have faith in it. Even if you believe in science I think you need faith to believe in sceience because even science can be ambigious!

and also, whatever you choose to believe in, it's a bitch not to have strong faith in it because you'll constantly be in doubt about things. and it seems, to some people, faith just comes easily, whereas to others, not so easily. and both are just as natural... people shouldn't be afraid of having doubts, of lacking faith... it doesn't mean you've "failed" in any way... it just means that right now dealing with questions about life is a little tougher than when you do have faith in something.

uh...well...

I realized I just completely assumed that the word "faith" has the same meaning to anyone reading this as it does to me. Oh well...I have faith in that someone will understand.

^^well i understand, Yaya, and i totally agree with what you said about doubts not meaning a lack of faith.

It's good to question your own views and beliefs, and to (non-judgementally) question others' as well. it's how we grow! everyone sees things differently, so why not explore and pick each other's brains?