Sign in to follow this  
nickynacker

Laughing With!

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

he called me the next day and said, "that song was rough! She said, god's no big deal when you havin' fun, but once you in some trouble, theeen it's anotha story! Hahaha! No really, Bri, that's a good song. I think it was my favorite of the ones you sent me!"

Haha that's awesome! Lol love the spelling of his verbal mannerisms. It's cool that he totally got the song in the spirit in which it was intended.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

he called me the next day and said, "that song was rough! She said, god's no big deal when you havin' fun, but once you in some trouble, theeen it's anotha story! Hahaha! No really, Bri, that's a good song. I think it was my favorite of the ones you sent me!"

Haha that's awesome! Lol love the spelling of his verbal mannerisms. It's cool that he totally got the song in the spirit in which it was intended.

lol! thanks. i love imitating my dad. he's a fun guy.

and he's super-intuitive-he picks up on everything, so it's always interresting to hear what he thinks of Regina's music. once i roped him into listening to my entire Regina collection (over 100 songs!) and he commented halfway through that her music has a depressing vibe to it. Not the piano, but the lyrics. he didn't notice til it was one song after another after another...

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine Redneck:

Well, she is Russian... not a bouncy, bubbly lot they be! Smiler

Have you evr realized how funny and awesome your name is...........

Sunshine redneck..........lol!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine Redneck:

Not all rednecks are stupid neanderthals... I can count most of my fingers and toes.

LOL Smiler

quote:
Even if you believe in science I think you need faith to believe in sceience because even science can be ambigious!

Well, faith is belief not resting on logical proof or evidence. I believe in Science because Science has evidence to back up it's claims. Take Biological Evolution for example, I accept Evolution because of the overwhelming Fossil, Genetic, and Biological evidence that strongly support it. And Scientists and myself would abandon it overnight if there was ever good enough evidence against it discovered, say if it were discovered that the Earth is really not 4.6 billion years old, but 1 million years old. That would mean that Evolution would not have had enough time to operate, and the Theory would then be falsified.

Thats the beauty of Science. It is cumulative, and all Theory's and models have to be falsifiable, it is not dogmatic. I think by faith Regina was meaning another word for Religion, not just faith in generally anything.

LOL I know I am a nerd....I want to be an Evolutionary Biologists or a Cosmologists (person who studies space) when I grow up! Smiler

I haven't followed this thread lately, of course, but I've been wanting to note something here, and this is the thread to do it. I was at The Tribes, on the Lower East Side in Manhattan, a few times, a few weeks ago, for art events. It's a notable underground art haven, one of those non-profit, anything goes,

all kinds of endless cool art places. So met some interesting people. So, of course, I'm always telling everyone that I'm a big fat giant Regina Spektor fan, heard of her? heard of her? huh huh have ya have ya? So this girl,

a really nice cool interesting young 'alternative' girl, said something like this: Yeah, I dug a lot of her stuff, but don't like the new album much. I'm like, whoa, wait,

whatdya mean, WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?

Anyway, we talked about it, she liked some of the songs. But she said this: (paraphrasing)

Well she kind of fucked the athiests.

I'm like what? What songs? She goes well, duh.

I'm like, oh, Laughing With. Okay, I can appreciate that. She goes, I have no idea why that was the single. I said, well, me neither actually. Perhaps people are making the decisions other than her. She goes, she should make her own decisions. Hmmm. Anyway, so it made me think ever since, I guess the song does

leave all the athiests in the world a little

disenfranchised? Of course, this is nit picking though. I mean, there are athiests, and people of countless faiths, and people can appreciate a damn SONG can't they? I'm not an athiest, but I appreciate athiest themed art. I think the girl was a bit of a purest. She said, I hate when anyone loses their weirdness, which I guess she thinks Regina has, with Far. Okay, point taken, but not really. Far certainly has it's weird moments. Okay, nothing quite like Poor Little Rich Boy, but still, ya gotta evolve. Anyway, news from the random masses peanut gallery reported to ya by old RaelNYC.

Pay up, ya'll, it's two ninety nine a story.

quote:
Originally posted by RaelNYC:

Anyway, so it made me think ever since, I guess the song does

leave all the athiests in the world a little

disenfranchised?

It's a sentiment I've heard expressed often, and, though I'm hardly the type to go about arguing what a song really means, I just don't hear this song having anything to do with atheism (and certainly not a rebuke or a criticism of atheism). The lyrics seem pretty blunt, in fact, about who it is that makes a mockery of god (and it's not atheists).

^^Even though I am an Atheist, I fully accept that the lyrics of this song are true. And she is not targeting Atheists. I also breathed a sigh of relief when I found out that Regina is not judgemental or non accepting of Atheism. I wish all people knew this.....