Sign in to follow this  
nickynacker

Laughing With!

So what does everyone take from this song? I dont really understand the whole laughing at vs laughing with thing. Ive been thinking about it all day.....

Its pretty much

no one laughs at god(something horribly sad)

but he can be funny Smiler

no one laughs at god(something horribly sad)

but he can be funny Smiler

.....We are not laughing at God. We're all laughing with God

could someone explain what they think, i cant really connect the dots. Im in love with it though, replay, replay, replay

I think everyone takes it at face value about how people even atheists believe or are hopeful in god in troubled times.

But I think it's important that the song makes a point they're not laughing AT God but WITH him which really changes the meaning in my opinion.

But I don't really know what the song means haha.

i'm trying to think of it as the world sucks so bad that even god has to laugh at something (aka himself) or the world will just tear you to pieces with all the saddness in it.

but if i was to interpret it personally or not as a story, i'm having trouble. i don't believe in god, so it kinda cuts me short. i've never turned to believing in god during trouble times, and if someone does i don't believe they truly didn't believe in the first place.

I'll repost my take from the Far thread....

Pretty straightforward IMHO:

1) There are no atheists in foxholes. That is, when people are in dire straits they turn to a higher power whether they profess to believe in God or not.

2) On the other hand, when things are going well, we make light of weighty matters like a higher power/god.

I don't know ... it sounds to me more like she's saying that when bad things happen, God is this grave and serious presence in our lives, but when he shows up in our everyday lives and thoughts, he has a sense of humor, and it's okay for us to appreciate that.