Sign in to follow this  
bum bum bum

Beacon Theatre - June 17, 2009

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

Yay!!! I was hoping these would be here when I woke up! Thank you guys!!!!

Edit: these are great recordings, so clear! The new songs sound superb live, as we suspected, and I looooove Riot Gear. Holocaust Song (is that what we're going to call it now?) is beyond words.

Holocaust song... amazing Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Klaymen:

And I guess the final complaint is I feel like Regina was absolutely plowing through the songs at record speeds. She got on about 9:15 and ended around 10:45, including the encore break and all the talking with the audience. In that time, she played 22 songs. She squeezed a lot into that pretty short period of time, and I think at time the songs suffered. For example, besides forgetting the lyrics to Consequence of Sounds (which I thought was funny), she raced through the song really quickly, which kind of sucked because the whole song is lyrics pretty much, which are meant to be heard! However, in other cases, like Poor Little Rich Boy, when she went really fast, I had no problem with it, because it was funny as hell (andyouthinkthatyoushouldbutshethinksthatshe'sfatbutsheisn'tbutyoudon'tloveheranyway).

All in all, I had a great time. It was the first time I saw Regina where she was actually headlining.

A question though...does she EVER play anything from 11:11? I was extremely surprised she played anything from Songs...

I was noticing that the songs do seem sped up, but I think there's probably a few things in play there. The first is the fact that Regina already has a tendency to speed up her songs as she gets more familiar with them, just check out the first recordings of Small Town Moon, Dance Anthem, and Samson as compared to now. The second could be nerves, sure Reg plays a lot of concerts but she hasn't done one in a while and I think in some ways (speculation) a seated venue might be a little more nerve wracking than a standing one. And lastly, she probably had that setlist in mind already and knew she had to go quickly to fit it all in. As for the mistake in Consequence in Sounds...I'm willing to bet she would've messed up even if she wasn't going slightly faster than usual, and like you I personally love the mistake.

quote:
Originally posted by Lilly:

quote:

Edit: these are great recordings, so clear! The new songs sound superb live, as we suspected, and I looooove Riot Gear. Holocaust Song (is that what we're going to call it now?) is beyond words.

It's haunting.

'Drenched in blood up to your blue Jew eyeballs'

Very strong song. I like it , obviously an issue close to Regina's heart.

quote:
Originally posted by Dominic:

wow thanks for that, sounds like a brilliant set list.

EDIT: Welcome to the stix!

Thanks! Been lurking for a while now Big Grin

I just checked youtube and a lovely person recorded the entire concert! S/He's probably a member here, but here's the link anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/user/extinguishingphoenix

quote:
Originally posted by BitsOfBone:

quote:
Originally posted by Lilly:

quote:

It's haunting.

'Soaked in blood up to your blue Jew eyeballs'

Very strong song. I like it , obviously an issue close to Regina's heart.

That's the word, strong. Very moving...

Did you decide against using a picture? In case you didn't hear are a couple:

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

The first one was an accident but I think it captures the magical feel of the show. Smiler