Sign in to follow this  
fidelity377

BLUE LIPS!!

This is so exciting!!!

I think it sounds great! I do think it would've sounded even better if they had emphasized the "They started off beneath the Knowledge Tree" part more, but it sounds wonderful regardless.

Big GrinBig Grin

I love this song. A gorgeous song, it has always made me marvel at how Regina can take such a simple piano line and infuse it with the profuse emotion she does. When she is playing the piano and singing, everything flows out of her and her performance is best.

As such, I find myself disappointed in the vocal track on this new recording. There is much less emotion in this studio recording than there is live. Yes, I understand that there are differences. But no, I don't think a studio version should sound like it was recorded inside of a pillow-fort. There's no echo or reverb on the vocal track, and her voice loses its "haunting" quality for which I appreciated it. Fully granted, tracks, ideas, and directions will change as time rolls on, and a concert hall is not the same as a recording booth. But... it just doesn't sit right with me. I imagine the recording process for this album involved recording the piano part separately from the vocal part (Regina mentioned there being separate places.. a "live" booth and a "dry" booth, or something similar). Because of this, I think the urgency of singing above the level of the piano is lost, and we find Regina almost whispering the lyrics.

I just... don't feel the connection. Her voice and the piano sound, along the same vein, disconnected. Surely, studios offer much more opportunity to experiment with new instruments and sounds, but I don't "get" how these all fit together.

Also, those drums. Those damned drums. Why must they sound so artificial?

BLUE LIPS.

THIS..... (write this down),

THIS IS IT.

George. Are you with me here? Who else here understands? Anyone that was around in the SK era and prior: THIS IS IT.

The moment that I finished listening to this song, that is exactly what I thought. It was an almost euphoric sensation. This song represents to me the completed cycle from the once unheard of, quirky and sometimes shy girl-genius, to the real McCoy, a genuine contender for the title bout.

I don't know why, but I never felt this way with Begin to Hope. I enjoy the album, but I still had that lingering "holding-your-breath" feeling, like her potential was aching to be unleashed. Now I feel it, because this song gives me the feeling of what I had imagined Regina could do, so long ago. The feeling that she's become what we all wanted for her, and for us, and for the non-believers.

If it's not obvious, I love it. The emotion is there, just as much as in the live performances. It's different too. Every time I hear her breath, I want to gasp - but instead I stay as quiet as possible so that I won't miss the next one. Auto-tune has nothing on Reginka.

Release the floodgates. This album is going to change everything for the better.

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyC:

If it's not obvious, I love it. The emotion is there, just as much as in the live performances. It's different too. Every time I hear her breath, I want to gasp - but instead I stay as quiet as possible so that I won't miss the next one. Auto-tune has nothing on Reginka.

Release the floodgates. This album is going to change everything for the better.

agree agree agreeee

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyC:

George. Are you with me here? Who else here understands? Anyone that was around in the SK era and prior: THIS IS IT.

Yes, I am. Where's Serge? I want his thoughts.

I am telling those of you with production issues if you never heard this song before you would feel a lot different about it.