Sign in to follow this  
fidelity377

BLUE LIPS!!

I think it's beautiful, and much better than I expected after hearing the preview.. there's parts with (almost) Regina, there's parts with instruments and I think this is exactly the way she wanted it to be and it's good. Thanks for noticing her emotions in the song, batsonmars, the second time I heard it I really agreed about the shocked emotion when she sang 'god this is all there is'. I love how it ends. Wow.

I really like it, I think she's has kept it very simple so as not to distract from the beauty of the lyrics.

I'm just delighted to have it, and damn the artwork looks sexy on my ipod. Big Grin

A little over a week ago Regina Spektor was "Laughing With" us via fart jokes and a bummer of a song: "No one laughs at God in a hospital / No one laughs at God in a war / ... No one laughs at God when a doctor calls after some routine tests," etc. Looking at its title, this second Far track sounds like it could follow a similarly chilly path, and it does: In "Blue Lips" we go from the minute to the global, learning via blue lips, blue veins, and the blue color of our planet (from far far away) that the hue's the most human of colors. Those lips are red in the above pic, yes, but you shouldn't overlook metaphorical blues either...

Source: http://stereogum.com/archives/...premiere_069831.html

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

Your comment literally brought tears to my eyes, because I feel like you get it. YOU GET IT.

I've been reading all the negative comments on iheartregina -- yeah, everyone's entitled to their own opinions -- but those people don't get it. I mean, if you can't appreciate an artist like Regina changing and growing musically, why are you listening? I'm damn proud of what she's done so far. She got to work with all these amazing people on the new album, but she stayed true to herself. This is her best work yet, and it's even better than laughing with. AMAZING.

As one of those people on iheartregina, I have to say that I think this is a really unfair assessment. Just because someone doesn't like the song, does NOT mean that he or she doesn't "get it." I see this argument for so many things and it's one that seems to completely disregard that someone can have a negative opinion and still understand where the artist was coming from. I can "get" something and still dislike it. There are aspects to this new recording that I like but I feel it's drowned out by other aspects. That is simply my opinion. I'm glad other people love the song but that doesn't mean I have to...and more importantly, that doesn't mean I don't get it. That's just insulting.

Sorry you feel insulted, but I think you misunderstood my comment. I'm not saying you HAVE to like it...as I said before, everyone's entitled to their own opinion of the song.

When I said that you guys DON'T GET IT, I meant that based on your comments about the production of the song, you don't get/understand Regina's vision for the song, and why she chose to do it the way she did. If you listen to the previous live versions, you'll realize that all the elements are there. Not much has been lost, but a lot has been gained, in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by sweetestdownfall:

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

Your comment literally brought tears to my eyes, because I feel like you get it. YOU GET IT.

I've been reading all the negative comments on iheartregina -- yeah, everyone's entitled to their own opinions -- but those people don't get it. I mean, if you can't appreciate an artist like Regina changing and growing musically, why are you listening? I'm damn proud of what she's done so far. She got to work with all these amazing people on the new album, but she stayed true to herself. This is her best work yet, and it's even better than laughing with. AMAZING.

As one of those people on iheartregina, I have to say that I think this is a really unfair assessment. Just because someone doesn't like the song, does NOT mean that he or she doesn't "get it." I see this argument for so many things and it's one that seems to completely disregard that someone can have a negative opinion and still understand where the artist was coming from. I can "get" something and still dislike it. There are aspects to this new recording that I like but I feel it's drowned out by other aspects. That is simply my opinion. I'm glad other people love the song but that doesn't mean I have to...and more importantly, that doesn't mean I don't get it. That's just insulting.

disregard my opinion of the song for a few moments, if you don't mind. Just til i give my two cents on this exchange:

1. I agree with sweetestdownfall in that you don't have to be crazy about this particular track to "get it". Voicing a negative opinion of SV Blue Lips doesn't mean the person has an unfair view of Regina, the new album, or, for that matter, Blue Lips. Everyone was bound to have different expectations of the album version, and so some people were bound to dislike it. Don't write someone off for giving their opinion, even if it's a negative one towards something /you/ love.

2. If you dislike this new version, there's something about it that you're "missing", as in you're focusing on the "wrong" things. I think that's everyone's point here- they're not trying to write off the iheartregina people, it's more like the Stixers feel you're criticizing something great without appreciating it.

Just to avoid a double post, i'll give my opinion of the song, and also the people who seemed to think this was the "best Regina could do":

I believe that there really isn't a "limit" to Reg's talent that can be reached. In one aspect or another, of course a person can only do so well, but overall i don't think there could ever be an overall "greatest" from Regina; too much contributes to her music. Does that make sense?

I /absolutely love/ the studio version. i prefer the accoustics of the live recordings (like someone else said), but it's clear that this is what Reg wanted with this song (like someone else said). Overall, it was a brave undertaking to move this song to the studio, and it came together beautifully.

The End

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

2. If you dislike this new version, there's something about it that you're "missing", as in you're focusing on the "wrong" things. I think that's everyone's point here- they're not trying to write off the iheartregina people, it's more like the Stixers feel you're criticizing something great without appreciating it.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not trying to stifle anyone's opinions. I just feel that some people are putting too much focus on the production, and that's sad. All the stuff that's been said about Regina being a sellout is what annoys me the most...

Just my opinion, anyway...remember, the live recordings that everyone's hooked on will ALWAYS be there.