Sign in to follow this  
sebile

eet!!

Recommended Posts

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

she seems to hold back sooo much on her recent albums.

i feel the same way. I LOVE Eet! but i feel like i've heard her sing higher notes with conidence live, but on the recording she seems.... scared to let it out! which makes me fearful of Man of 1000. I practically fall to my knees when she sings "good is better than perfect scrub till your fingers are bleeding" and i don't want it to be lacking passion because she is afraid. YOU CAN DO IT REG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

she seems to hold back sooo much on her recent albums.

I practically fall to my knees when she sings "good is better than perfect scrub till your fingers are bleeding" and i don't want it to be lacking passion because she is afraid. YOU CAN DO IT REG!

We share the same fear. That part gets me everytime, every ounce of her is crying out and I hope the studio recording can capture that. Eet should be really really good live, so we should get some nice powerful recordings

I'm nervous she will hold back in Human of the Year too, that song has SUCH a reputation to hold and if it doesn't come close than people will be upset, I know I will....I mean COME ON,

Big Grin

oooooo that video gives me chills everytime I see it. I've never seen her live and I somehow feel that video is the closest I've gotten to a live experience- the voice, passion and visual are stunning- as I'm obviously inferring seeing her live is. (of course it's not comparable to a youtube video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Reginaoverdose:

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

she seems to hold back sooo much on her recent albums.

I practically fall to my knees when she sings "good is better than perfect scrub till your fingers are bleeding" and i don't want it to be lacking passion because she is afraid. YOU CAN DO IT REG!

We share the same fear. That part gets me everytime, every ounce of her is crying out and I hope the studio recording can capture that. Eet should be really really good live, so we should get some nice powerful recordings

I'm nervous she will hold back in Human of the Year too, that song has SUCH a reputation to hold and if it doesn't come close than people will be upset, I know I will....I mean COME ON,

Big Grin

oooooo that video gives me chills everytime I see it. I've never seen her live and I somehow feel that video is the closest I've gotten to a live experience- the voice, passion and visual are stunning- as I'm obviously inferring seeing her live is. (of course it's not comparable to a youtube video

I agree with yous guys, there's a lot of pressure on those two songs to come out full of emotion and if they don't im gonna be sad. Also, that video you posted is my favourite human of the year recording Smiler Quote from the comments: "This will always be my favorite video of Regina Smiler I would give my left foot to hear just 10 more seconds though.... "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regina's music just seems to work better in a live context. I seriously look forward to the live version of Eet, as it will undoubtedly sound better live.

Thankfully David Kahne is producing Human of the Year, he and Reg tend to work quite well together (see Apres Moi as a reference point)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Tamx:

Regina's music just seems to work better in a live context. I seriously look forward to the live version of Eet, as it will undoubtedly sound better live.

i absolutely agree. i hope with every fiber of my being that Reg tours close to me, so that i can hear her live!!

i have to get this out, though.

i absolutely love hearing Regina blow a song out of the park; just completely tear it apart, because, for me, that's when she "shines".

but it kind of hit me that her music isn't about me, or you, or anyone but Reg. that's one of the very first things that stuck out to me about her: that she doesn't cater to a certain audience. She just does what she loves,and whether there's an adoring audience or not is totally beside the point.

so, having fallen in love with her for this, and countless other reasons, who am i to limit what she does? she was Regina long before i'd ever heard her name, and she will remain Regina for as long as she's true to herself. i'd be out of my element to try and say what she "should" or "shouldn't" do.

it would be better to see Regina evolve into a totally new artist, someone i can't appreciate, than watch her limit herself to a sound or set of styles, simply because it's what i like.

i appreciated her music as something different from the mainstream. why? because they all sound the same to me. they all fit the same mold, or "box". Reg's music forced me to rethink "good singing", "great" lyrics, and my entire standard of music.

So it would be Respekt suicide to create a "Regina box", where anything that doesn't meet the requirements is suddenly "sub-par". why? because that's creating a FrankenReg: bits and pieces of her over past years crudely melded together to form a shadow of the true artist; one who doesn't evolve or grow, but remains my personal "ideal" forever. As a result, when the real Regina /does/ step outside of what i've imagined to be her "norm" (how many songs are there that sound different from anything we've heard, kept only for Regina? we'll never know, because we can't have her entire musical history! How do we, as outiders, know what's /new/ for her and what's not??), i'd choose to shun it, because it isn't my personal vision of how she should sound, or what the new album should be. don't drool over everything she does, but don't ever hate on it, because part of the beauty of Regina's work is how much she feels the music. she doesn't put something out that she doesn't feel, and hating on something that's that important to someone is disrespectful and closed minded. for example, 2.99 cent blues and a cooler version of yourself are songs that i just don't "get". no problem. regina was going for something there, and i missed it, or i just can't get on board with it. that doesn't make me lose respect for her as an artist, and it doesn't make me any less of a fan, you know?

besides, you've got to give the girl some credit: she's been doing this for the majority of her lifetime in some shape or form. the sounds, the stories. i'm not saying i think she's sick of it, or dislikes it. but she's entitled to some exploration, for pete's sake! i'm not accusing anyone of biting her head off, or of showing disrespect. but i felt myself leaning that way, and, as my dad would say, "that's a slippery slope."

anyway, what i /am/ saying is that she's doing what she wants to do, and even if i didn't much care for it, it's her choice. So if Eet is the most she's going to sing out ever again, that's fine by me, as long as she's doing something she loves.

bottom line: the most important thing is Regina's happiness. if she doesn't want to sing the way i'd like her to sing, i won't patronize her for it. in fact, quite the opposite. because if i can't appreciate her pursuit of personal fulfillment in her music, then i'm just like all the haters i accuse of being blind and closed-minded.

sorry for the rant! just thought i'd clear up my standing on this, you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this