LittleVoice

LAUGHING WITH GOD

quote:
Originally posted by Swimming Pool Noises:

I found that movie to be incredibly frightening when I first saw it on the disney channel when i was like 5 or something, and I haven't had the chance to watch it since. I'n sure it's good though.

i did too! the zombie guy that has his mouth sewn shut scared me so bad, i used to run down the hall when he came on the screen

The Dalai Lama said,

"This is my simple religion.

There is no need for temples;

No need for complicated philosophy.

Our own brain,

Our own heart is our temple;

The philosophy is Kindness."

I go along with that statement. Wink

personally, i'm confused by catholic services, too, but my (non-denominational) church is quite straightforward about how and why we do things the way we do. Wink

i thought hocus pocus was scary as crap when i was a kid! My cousin resorted to showing me Hocus Pocus when i refused to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer! *shivers*

"Do not believe in anything

Simply because you have heard it.

Do not believe in anything

Simply because it is spoken &

Rumoured by many.

Simply because it is found

Written in your religious books.

Merely on the authority

Of your teachers and elders.

Do not believe in traditions

Because they have been handed

Down for many generations.

But after observation and analysis,

When you find that anything

Agrees with reason and is

Conducive to the good &

Benefit of one and all,

Then accept it and live up to it."

Words from Buddha

For me, the different religions are beautiful flowers from the same garden, or they are branches of the same majestic tree.

Therefore, they are equally true, though being received and interpreted through human instruments equally imperfect.

Mahatma Ghandi

quote:
Originally posted by LittleVoice:

For me, the different religions are beautiful flowers from the same garden, or they are branches of the same majestic tree.

Therefore, they are equally true, though being received and interpreted through human instruments equally imperfect.

Mahatma Ghandi

I'm atheist myself (and a pretty radical one Wink)

But that is just beautiful, beautiful quote. Thank you!

I have often looked at this thread, but have not come to write on it yet... so here we go...

When I was younger, I lived with just my Dad, who never mentioned God, or any form of religion whatsoever. He used to tell me that "Mummy was up in heaven", but I never connected that to be anything to do with religion, nor did he, really.

When I got older, and went to school, we started having Religios Education (later known as Christian Studies) once a week. It was all Christian. I believed in it, of course. Being just five, you tend to believe people when they tell you something. We were never given choice. We were never told that there were people who didn't believe in religion, and people who did. We were never told that there was different types of religion. It was just an unquestioned matter.

When I got to about 11 or 12, I started questioning.

Now, no, I don't believe in organized religion. For a while there, I was completely athiest. Now, I really don't know. I think I believe in God. Some things seem too coincidental, too good, too planned (almost) that I think some sort of higher power must be out there.